Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG 414 XLS  (Read 29811 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: AKG 414 XLS
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2005, 02:57:23 PM »
On seciond thought, I may use the PS2 with the UA5 too.  See how that sounds.r

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2005, 03:36:02 PM »
Very interesting. I'm happy to hear the windscreens work. What pattern were you using?

I haven't had brickwalling problems ( :banging head: i guess that's what it is) yet, not even at QOTSA/Sacramento which was really loud. Seems like a digi-mod ua5 vs. w/t/p Oade mod ua5 issue.

You're right, the overload sensors in the xls are pretty much useless for us tapers, because you can't see the LEDs when the mics are high up on a stand and things like shockmounts obstruct the view. However, forget that last sentence. We will never see that light in the first place, because it only comes on at 140dB SPL...   :alert:

As for headphones, I have the Sennheiser HD280 Pro which works well, but I never use it in the field, because I don't really see the point. (exception: doing a matrix with the ua5) If you really want small headphones, I would say consider Etymotic.

Well I went through my Mountain Jam recordings.  Wind was not an issue at all. 

However, I had clipping at the mics for Xavier Rudd and Jim Weider Band.  Volume was way up for their sets, I noticed the clipping light on the UA-5 and turn it down to 11 o'clock from 1 o'clock at the beginining of Rudd.  However, I still had clipping throughout the recording of those 2 bands. 

The AKGs have a built-in overload sensor or some shit, and a red llight will blink on them when clipping.  Couldn't see it in the bright sunshine and I couldn't hear it through my Shure E2Cs.  Definitely, got to run the pads for loud shows.  Same rules as shotguns, these things can run hot because of their high sensitivity.  I also need some good, small, noise blocking, field headphones.  Any recommedations on the headphones?

I'm also going to experiment with my Denecke AD20/PS2 combo.  I think the combination of the 414s and the Bumblebees display what a noisy box a Digi-mod UA-5 is.  If the Deneckes sound better, I may put the UA5 on the shelf until I can get it modded.  Its not an Oade.  Or sell it and pickup someone else's Oade and have it modded to a "T-Plus".

MMW, Randolph and Mule came out fine.  My recording almost sounds like a SBD.  And I was in the last row of the taperssection, FOB.  Jeezuz, I do love these mics.   ;D

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2005, 05:44:58 PM »
Very interesting. I'm happy to hear the windscreens work. What pattern were you using?

I haven't had brickwalling problems ( :banging head: i guess that's what it is) yet, not even at QOTSA/Sacramento which was really loud. Seems like a digi-mod ua5 vs. w/t/p Oade mod ua5 issue.

You're right, the overload sensors in the xls are pretty much useless for us tapers, because you can't see the LEDs when the mics are high up on a stand and things like shockmounts obstruct the view. However, forget that last sentence. We will never see that light in the first place, because it only comes on at 140dB SPL...   :alert:

As for headphones, I have the Sennheiser HD280 Pro which works well, but I never use it in the field, because I don't really see the point. (exception: doing a matrix with the ua5) If you really want small headphones, I would say consider Etymotic.

Well I went through my Mountain Jam recordings.  Wind was not an issue at all. 

However, I had clipping at the mics for Xavier Rudd and Jim Weider Band.  Volume was way up for their sets, I noticed the clipping light on the UA-5 and turn it down to 11 o'clock from 1 o'clock at the beginining of Rudd.  However, I still had clipping throughout the recording of those 2 bands. 

The AKGs have a built-in overload sensor or some shit, and a red llight will blink on them when clipping.  Couldn't see it in the bright sunshine and I couldn't hear it through my Shure E2Cs.  Definitely, got to run the pads for loud shows.  Same rules as shotguns, these things can run hot because of their high sensitivity.  I also need some good, small, noise blocking, field headphones.  Any recommedations on the headphones?

I'm also going to experiment with my Denecke AD20/PS2 combo.  I think the combination of the 414s and the Bumblebees display what a noisy box a Digi-mod UA-5 is.  If the Deneckes sound better, I may put the UA5 on the shelf until I can get it modded.  Its not an Oade.  Or sell it and pickup someone else's Oade and have it modded to a "T-Plus".

MMW, Randolph and Mule came out fine.  My recording almost sounds like a SBD.  And I was in the last row of the taperssection, FOB.  Jeezuz, I do love these mics.   ;D

The Oade mod would definitely make a difference.  To add, I'd say the sound pressure was definitely over 140.  When I think about it, I could feel my whole body vibrate during Rudd's set.  The sound on the mountain was the best I ever heard at an outdoor show.  The SBD guys were definitely  pressing the gas a little too much.      :spin:

Thanks for the tip on the Sennheisers, I'll check them out.  I'll pass on the Etymotics.  I'd rather upgrade my earbuds to the E3Cs.   :headphones:

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2005, 05:46:25 PM »
I used the cardioids.  It would be equivalent to 20th row or something
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 06:25:26 PM by spyder9 »

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2005, 06:07:56 PM »

You're right, the overload sensors in the xls are pretty much useless for us tapers, because you can't see the LEDs when the mics are high up on a stand and things like shockmounts obstruct the view. However, forget that last sentence. We will never see that light in the first place, because it only comes on at 140dB SPL... :alert:

Well I went through my Mountain Jam recordings. Wind was not an issue at all.

However, I had clipping at the mics for Xavier Rudd and Jim Weider Band. Volume was way up for their sets, I noticed the clipping light on the UA-5 and turn it down to 11 o'clock from 1 o'clock at the beginining of Rudd. However, I still had clipping throughout the recording of those 2 bands.

The AKGs have a built-in overload sensor or some shit, and a red llight will blink on them when clipping. Couldn't see it in the bright sunshine and I couldn't hear it through my Shure E2Cs. Definitely, got to run the pads for loud shows. Same rules as shotguns, these things can run hot because of their high sensitivity. I also need some good, small, noise blocking, field headphones. Any recommedations on the headphones?

I'm also going to experiment with my Denecke AD20/PS2 combo. I think the combination of the 414s and the Bumblebees display what a noisy box a Digi-mod UA-5 is. If the Deneckes sound better, I may put the UA5 on the shelf until I can get it modded. Its not an Oade. Or sell it and pickup someone else's Oade and have it modded to a "T-Plus".

MMW, Randolph and Mule came out fine. My recording almost sounds like a SBD. And I was in the last row of the taperssection, FOB. Jeezuz, I do love these mics. ;D

The Oade mod would definitely make a difference. To add, I'd say the sound pressure was definitely over 140. When I think about it, I could feel my whole body vibrate during Rudd's set. The sound on the mountain was the best I ever heard at an outdoor show. The SBD guys were definitely pressing the gas a little too much. :spin:

Thanks for the tip on the Sennheisers, I'll check them out. I'll pass on the Etymotics. I'd rather upgrade my earbuds to the E3Cs. :headphones:

over 140?! no, really, are you sure?

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2005, 06:26:35 PM »
My chest was vibrating.  It was totally wierd.  I was sitting in a stick chair, on grass and dirt.

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2005, 06:28:17 PM »
over 140?! no, really, are you sure?

No way. All the hippies would have dropped dead immediately. Seriously, you'll never get a that value unless you're directly infront of a subwoofer. Maybe. It would be beyond painful.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2005, 06:31:46 PM »
there's no way the mics were clipping if they are in proper working order

no concert is 140db from where we are sitting....
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2005, 06:41:15 PM »
there's no way the mics were clipping if they are in proper working order

no concert is 140db from where we are sitting....

They are in working order, I can assure you.  But the sensitvity on these are 23.  You're average mic is 11 or 12.  A shotgun is around 35 or more.  I just have to use Pads as a safety precaution.

I wouldn't exactly call the sound loud.  More like a wide engulfing soundstage.  Ears were not shredded at all.  The rest of the sets came out fine, because the SBD trim the levels back.

It was definitely strange to feel every bone in my body vibrate that.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2005, 07:11:44 PM »
you sure the clipping isnt coming from the pa then ??? thats happened to me before a few times
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2005, 07:36:54 PM »
you sure the clipping isnt coming from the pa then ??? thats happened to me before a few times

Nope.  I saw the UA-5 peak light blinking during the first song.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2005, 07:39:26 PM »
Moonpix,

The wind was roughly 4-5 miles an hour, if that.  A light breeze.  On a windy days of over 10, we may need to seek an alternative.  I have used wool socks, with effectiveness.  I don't know what is out there on the market for the 414s for such a use.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2005, 09:09:05 PM »
Moonpix,

The wind was roughly 4-5 miles an hour, if that. A light breeze. On a windy days of over 10, we may need to seek an alternative. I have used wool socks, with effectiveness. I don't know what is out there on the market for the 414s for such a use.

thats a great idea dan, id just put 2 wool socks on each mic over the windscreen :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2005, 12:15:52 AM »
However, I had clipping at the mics for Xavier Rudd and Jim Weider Band. Volume was way up for their sets, I noticed the clipping light on the UA-5 and turn it down to 11 o'clock from 1 o'clock at the beginining of Rudd. However, I still had clipping throughout the recording of those 2 bands.

I'm confused.  Just to clarify:

• After you turned the UA5 gain down from 01:00 to 11:00, the UA5 "over" light didn't come on for the rest of the set?
  • What does the "clipping" sound like - is it the harsh clicky sorta sound of digital clipping, or the softer analog distortion sort of overload?
  • What does the waveform look like?
I think the combination of the 414s and the Bumblebees display what a noisy box a Digi-mod UA-5 is. If the Deneckes sound better, I may put the UA5 on the shelf until I can get it modded. Its not an Oade. Or sell it and pickup someone else's Oade and have it modded to a "T-Plus".

Yeah, the straight digi-mod is a little noisy if you turn the gain up a ways.  I ran AKG C414B-ULS with a T+ UA5 in an unamplified setting (a cappella group, church setting) and I can tell you the T+ is quiet.  I had the gain turned almost all the way up...we're talking 4:30, 5:00 or so, and I don't notice any noise from the UA5.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2005, 02:12:52 AM »

I'm confused.  Just to clarify:

• After you turned the UA5 gain down from 01:00 to 11:00, the UA5 "over" light didn't come on for the rest of the set?
  • What does the "clipping" sound like - is it the harsh clicky sorta sound of digital clipping, or the softer analog distortion sort of overload?
  • What does the waveform look like?
I think the combination of the 414s and the Bumblebees display what a noisy box a Digi-mod UA-5 is. If the Deneckes sound better, I may put the UA5 on the shelf until I can get it modded. Its not an Oade. Or sell it and pickup someone else's Oade and have it modded to a "T-Plus".

Yeah, the straight digi-mod is a little noisy if you turn the gain up a ways.  I ran AKG C414B-ULS with a T+ UA5 in an unamplified setting (a cappella group, church setting) and I can tell you the T+ is quiet.  I had the gain turned almost all the way up...we're talking 4:30, 5:00 or so, and I don't notice any noise from the UA5.

Excellent questions Brian.

I went over the WAV files for all the sets with Adobe tonight.  As confirmed, the UA-5 peak light was correct, I was over at the beginning of Rudd.  But, the good news, it was not pure brickwalling.  UA-5 must be configured to blink when the recording is close to brickwalling.  The WAV file was not cut off.  I guess that damn light is good for something.   :drunk:

The culprit seems to be the damn Toslink cable.  Schnizzle!   :flaming:  I have no idea if it got kinked or not when I first did the initial set up.  I thought I made sure everything was tucked clean under the UA-5 before I hit the record.  Checked 3 times.  Must be when I was pulling the JB3 in and out between sets to hit save, it corrected itself.   :flaming:

The Toslink issue showed a Noise Spike every 10 seconds in both Rudd and Weider sets.  A chirping noise.  Sometimes can be confused as brickwalling.  Or at least in my case, a panic at the beginning of Rudd.

I realized the problem just before I went downtown tonight. I was SO EMBARRASSED, that I grabbed my rig to tape something, anything.  Luckily, there was a local act, the Nighthawks, playing outside in Hanover Square.  They play Stevie Ray Vaughan, Hendrix, The Blues, and such.  There was a Polish festival at Clinton Square playing Polka music about a block away.  Thank god for the Nighthawks.  I needed to tape tonight.  But not, "Roll Out the Barrel".   ;) 

I'm definitely thinking of switching from Toslink to Coax. Any suggestions?  I hate making a mistake once.  As Scotty from Star Trek once said, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. "

Digi-mod UA-5 definitely doesn't cut it when you jump to the higher end mics.  Most leechers would dig my recordings, but they don't stack up, sound wise, with what I have done the AT853RX and the Deneckes.  That combo is like a swiss watch.  Gotta get a T-PLUS mod, for sure.

Sorry about the false alarm, guys.    :instagib:   I'll shoot myself on this one.  I'll toss up the Randolph set in Kickdown so you guys can have a taste of the 414s.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com