Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best mic config for a boomy hall?  (Read 3454 times)

Offline Unitmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
Best mic config for a boomy hall?
« on: June 27, 2005, 04:29:44 PM »
Is there a typically "best" config for a room that's got muddy and boomy sound?  I'm taping wilco tomorrow night, and will be clamped onto a balcony rail with card caps.  Just wondering if I can plan on a pattern ahead of time. Room holds about 1,500 people I guess.

Thanks!

AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Best mic config for a boomy hall?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 04:56:50 PM »
try xy
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Josh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 06:16:01 PM »
i've been advised XY and high for boomy venues.  ymmv.

+t for taping wilco.
AKG 481/3>bumblebee Miagis>V3>jb3

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 06:21:19 PM »
hyper caps will help too.
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 06:30:20 PM »
What these guys said. XY can really cut down on "boom" or undue bass.
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 06:47:53 PM »
People often say that on this site - anyone care to explain?
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 06:51:56 PM »
seems unanimous   ;)

I'll give that a try.  Dklein, I think you've taped at Metropolis in Montreal, any thoughts?  Also while you might be here, where do you buy your taping gear in Canada? I'm going crazy trying to find the simplest shit here (like a t-bar for example). I'm calling the biggest music stores in town (ie. steve's) and they're clueless.

Thanks for the help guys!  I'm going to try politely requesting a sbd patch as I doubt there will be many tapers there, but x/y from the balcony will be option B.  I would love to use hypers as well, but they probably won't be here for another 2 weeks.

Assuming things go ok, I'll seed the show asap.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 07:07:18 PM »

Somebody please clarify but I'm gonna take a shot w/ what makes sense in my own head.  In XY, the mics are coincident (basically taking sound from ONE point in space, roughly), whereas other stereo patterns are taking from TWO points in space, therefore having the ability to sum the amount of bass up from those two points (as opposed to both mics pulling from the coincident spot). 

I've also read many times that OMNIs are more prone to bass pickup.  If my theory above holds true, then think of OMNIs pulling from more of a 'spacial area' than, say, cardioids...therefore, picking up more bass.   

I know nothing though....so don't etch my words in your heads..
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 07:15:06 PM »
here's what I was able to find:

This technique uses two cardioïd microphones whose "sleeves" are arranged in an angle of approximately 90° (the capsules should be the nearest, microphones can be one on the other).

This technique reproduces level differences but not phase differences between right and left (a sound arrives at the same time to the two capsules, which is why it’s called coincident; one will also notice that the guiding principle is not adhered to). It is therefore an intensity stereo, but not a phase one.

Spatialization is a little bit worse than with the ORTF technique, but the stereo picture stays accurate (i.e. there is still a good level difference between L/R).

Mono mixing can be done without risk, as L/R phases are the same.

The angle between the axes of the capsules can vary between 45 and 180°. It is necessary to determine the angle by testing it before the recording, according to the direction of the microphones and the size of the scene (in all meanings).

As a rule, a 90° angle gives the best result, but then the spatial effect is not very pronounced.

I think this is the key.  If you want to avoide the spatial effect (ie. echo of bass off the walls and "wash" from the highs) you want a config that reduces the spatial effect... therefore X/Y.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 07:20:28 PM by Unitmonster »

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 07:16:01 PM »
try xy

agreed, XY if running cardioids.

If you have access to hypers they might do well too, try pointing them outside the stacks slightly (DIN or something close like that). FWIW I would not run hypers XY.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 07:22:57 PM »
Best mic config for a boomy hall?,....

your bass rolloff filter

You know, I've probably taped 15 shows with my new setup so far and have never once used the rolloff.  I don't think i'll try this time, but maybe it's worth some experimentation.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 07:52:09 PM »
seems unanimous   ;)
I'll give that a try.

I dunno about that  :o
I can't think of any reason why this would be the case...but it does certainly narrow the image, especially from far away

Dklein, I think you've taped at Metropolis in Montreal, any thoughts?  Also while you might be here, where do you buy your taping gear in Canada? I'm going crazy trying to find the simplest shit here (like a t-bar for example). I'm calling the biggest music stores in town (ie. steve's) and they're clueless.

Haven't taped anything in Mtl yet.  Mostly Toronto venues.  As far as purchases...I have bought most of my stuff used, from the U.S.  For a t-bar, I don't know but another Ontario taper showed me a great little adjustable bar that he picked up for $15 at some local music store (sorry...he's gone and I don't know where he got it).  Before I got my Shure bar I just made one from parts - doesn't have to be anything fancy.

Somebody please clarify but I'm gonna take a shot w/ what makes sense in my own head.  In XY, the mics are coincident (basically taking sound from ONE point in space, roughly), whereas other stereo patterns are taking from TWO points in space, therefore having the ability to sum the amount of bass up from those two points (as opposed to both mics pulling from the coincident spot). 

I follow you here - what you're talking about is phase discrepancies between the 2 locations.  It's just that I would expect the maximum bass when both mics are perfectly in phase (coincident pattern like XY).  When you start spacing them out you could get some phase cancellation effect...which would drop the level.  I suppose we should consider the wavelength of different frequencies to determine which would be affected.  Thinking out loud here...let me get back to you on that!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 07:53:46 PM by dklein »
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 08:00:20 PM »
this is from doug oade's discussion of near-coincident techniques:

The typical spacing of 17 cm to 30 cm is intended to simulate the perceived inter-ear delay time. This fairly small distance results in substantially coincident sound at low frequencies and an increase in interchannel delay and phase characteristics that are natural to the human ear.

so if what he is saying is true, the lower frequencies are substantially coincident leading to no phase cancellation, but the other frequencies are less coincident and thus may have some phase issues and therefore cancellation, resulting in a perceived low-frequency emphasis??

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com