Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: single point stereo mic options?  (Read 8188 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
single point stereo mic options?
« on: May 25, 2005, 11:26:58 AM »
I find myself running my 414s coincident ALL the time, largely because omnis won't fit most of my recording situations (crowd's too chatty, not close enough to sound source, etc.).  But I really love the rich, smooth LD sound and particularly the 414s XY or Blumlein.  So...I'm considering switching over to a LD single point stereo mic.

Requirements:

• at least card / hyper / figure-8 (do not require controller box for truly variable pattern selection, though I'm open to a mic that has one)
  • config must support XY (variable angle), M-S (doesn't need to have a decoding function), Blumlein
  • < $2k
What are my options?  A few I've seen mentioned before:

• AKG C24 - not readily available?  too expensive?
  • AKG C422 - not readily available?  too expensive?
  • AKG C426B - available new, but too expensive
  • Soundfield ST250 - too expensive
  • Studio Projects LSD2 - solid pricing, solid sound
As far as availability / pricing goes, the LSD2 looks like the clear winner, though I'd love to stick with AKG if they're available and within my price range.  I've Googled a bit and not found any useful information re used pricing on the C422 or C24.  Hmmmmm...time to d/l some LSD2 samples...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: single point stereo mic options?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 11:34:39 AM »
I think that the LSD2 is your best bet but those AKG's are sweet if you can find one....

the little exposure I've had to the LSD2 has left me with a very favorable impression

fwiw - dnsacks runs lsd2->tmod+
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 11:45:38 AM »
Not on your list

Gorgeous mic, but mebbe a little out of my price range.
Roland R-05

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 12:24:49 PM »
others

Shure VP88 - cheap used, ??sounds good?? (i've seen a few in action but never heard a source

don't meet requirements but included since they are stereo mics incase others are curious

AT 825 - card/XY only
Rhode NT4 - card/XY only
Sanken CUW-180 - card/XY adjustable
Sanken CMS-2 - MS only

I think the LSD2 is probably the best option for the money unless you run across an older AKG that you can send off to Jim Williams for a tuneup.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 01:51:03 PM »
others

Shure VP88 - cheap used, ??sounds good?? (i've seen a few in action but never heard a source

don't meet requirements but included since they are stereo mics incase others are curious

AT 825 - card/XY only
Rhode NT4 - card/XY only
Sanken CUW-180 - card/XY adjustable
Sanken CMS-2 - MS only

I think the LSD2 is probably the best option for the money unless you run across an older AKG that you can send off to Jim Williams for a tuneup.

There's a guy out in L.A. that runs Shure VP88>V3>DAP1. I've got quite a few Marc Ford shows he taped, and they all sound magnificent.

Definitely one to look at...
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 03:42:28 PM »
I love my LSD2.  I occationally get that upgrade bug, but that's usually cured by making another great recording with what I have.  Search bt.etree, a friend of mine is constantly seeding my recordings there.  Not many up on LMA, but a few.  Some of my best that haven't made it up yet are WSP 4/16 & 17/05.  The MMW 3/18/05 that's still running on bt.etree is quite good, too.  Pull the 24bit's if you can.  Just did a blumlein on-stage for a jazz quartet a week ago that is pretty mind blowing, but unless you want to wait you'd have to b&p me for that one, it probably won't be up on LMA for weeks.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 03:51:03 PM »
Neumann also makes a stereo mic, the RSM 191.  not sure of the details of the mic, but I have a couple of Phish shows (new years '93 run) that sound great.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 04:09:31 PM »
Neumann also makes a stereo mic, the RSM 191. not sure of the details of the mic, but I have a couple of Phish shows (new years '93 run) that sound great.

Kevin Shapiro used to run that mic in 90 and 91
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 04:15:21 PM »
sm69 is another neumann candidate.  although i believe it is also over 2k.

save up your money, find two vintage c12k capsules in excellent condition, and have scott hampton build you a custom dual capsule tube powered gem ;D

Offline 1st set only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 04:28:41 PM »
The RSM 191 is a stereo microphone system consisting of the microphone and the MTX 191 A matrix amplifier. It has an adjustable pick-up angle and high directivity. The microphone has two separate capsule systems, a hypercardioid element and a figure-8, both in a short shotgun. Together they generate the mid and the side signals.

The matrix amplifier controls the width of the stereo image by changing the gain of the side signal relative to the middle signal in six 3 dB steps. The output signals of the matrix amplifier are either mid-side (MS) or left/right (XY). The signals are converted through transformerless sum-and-difference circuitry.

The balanced, transformerless technology permits the use of long cables between the microphone, the matrix amplifier and the following mic input of other signal processing equipment.

interesting
the show is over go home please.

Offline 1st set only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 04:29:38 PM »
sm69 is another neumann candidate.  although i believe it is also over 2k.

save up your money, find two vintage c12k capsules in excellent condition, and have scott hampton build you a custom dual capsule tube powered gem ;D

that would be what about 20- 30 grand?
the show is over go home please.

Offline Brian

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 04:32:53 PM »
sm69 is another neumann candidate. although i believe it is also over 2k.

that would be what about 20- 30 grand?

i'm not sure.  But I am sure that Scott Hampton could give you an estimation.  An engineer I know is actually getting scott to build a pair of LD's that contain the vintage c12k capsule.  not sure if it is tube or not though.  Scott has been working on it for about a year now.  He won't send it to the engineer I know until it is perfect and meets scott's standards.  I'm not sure how much it costs, but if it's anywhere near 20-30 large....that's pretty rediculous IMO.

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 06:14:45 PM »
I love my LSD2, but it is card/omni/8. No hypers. Definately hard to beat for the price.

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=25104 Sam Kininger Band Blumlien 6ft off stage.

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=25563 Garaj Mahal Cards on stage

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 06:26:55 PM »
On an LSD2, running m/s mode with mostly mid will simulate hypers pretty nicely.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 06:31:49 PM »
Thanks for the tips, everyone!
On an LSD2, running m/s mode with mostly mid will simulate hypers pretty nicely.

True enough, very good point.

I love my LSD2, but it is card/omni/8. No hypers. Definately hard to beat for the price.

Ahhh...didn't realize no hypers.  S'alright...I can live without the hypers.  I think I'm gonna sniff about for an AKG C422 (never know, I might get lucky) for a while and then eventually pull the trigger on the LSD2 if I don't find a 422.
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com