Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Studio Projects LSD2 fluffing  (Read 29458 times)

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Studio Projects LSD2 fluffing
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2006, 10:29:06 PM »
Well I will be taping from the section tomorrow night at 930 club.  About 35" back and about 10' LOC.  So if it is intended only for up close taping, my recording should sound like crap.

So I was wondering, how did it turn out........?

I was just about to post about this.

First off I found out that they were playing on Sunday night in Towson MD.  A little longer trip, but I didn't have to be up at 7 on monday morning, as I did on Saturday.  So I skipped the friday DC and did the Towson show instead.  The funny thing is that the recher sounds very good as well and the section is almost exactley in the same spot as 930; 35' back and about 15' LOC. 

I think it came out really well.  I ran the cards XY-90.  I am overwhelmed by how good this mic sounds at a $500 price point.  I think I posted somewhere else that it would even be a steal at its MSRP.  There is an intensity to the sound that you don't neccesarily get from a stereo pair of mics.  Now I do think that they are probably not in the same league as the 414s or 140s, but I am still damn impressed and I am going to run this mic a good few times before I go back to either of my other pairs of mics.  I can't wait to run it M/S, and blumlein.  Also can't wait to see what it does in different venues and for different types of acts. 

My analysis of the sound so far:

It has a nice warm, and smooth sound.  Very detailed in the upper end, despite a slight disappointment in the cymbals of the drum kit.  But I also think that the drum kit was either not mic'ed up very well or was not mixed in very well.  Because the kick drum also lacked some definition.  Karl D's flute sounded amazing though, and vocals were super clean.  Even with the missing definition in the kick drum, I really liked the bass.  It can get a little sloppy at times but overall it's really FAT and smooth.  I am no expert here by any means but I do really like the mic a lot and am very very very satisfied with the recording.  I think if for some reason my km140s and 414s were both to just explode randomly, I would still feel confident going into the next show that I was gonna pull a very very nice recording with the LSD2>V3.  I am going to have to run it a least a couple more times to get a good feeling on how much I really like it. 

I did notice how shitty the pins in the connector at the bottom of the mic are.  I tried to just do it by feeling around and then guessing where the pins were when I tried to insert the xlr end, while the mic was already up there in the mount and I couldnt exactley see pins.  I am not too fond of that "procedure" with this mic.  From now on I will connect the xlr with the mic upside down, so I can stare right into it and not fumble around with the pins.  Then slide the mic up into the mount.

I can't wait to run it again.
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2006, 07:22:53 AM »
wait till you get to run in in a "sweet spot".  that thing is 3-D.

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2006, 11:00:29 AM »
How do you guys set this thing up? I could use a dummy guide. Do you have the Studio Projects logo facing the stage? And then how exactly do you configure for XY 90? Seems like you have to twist the mic body a bit. Nick, maybe you could post photos or something.

Offline bhtoque

• So much music, so little time.
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2006, 02:39:08 PM »
How do you guys set this thing up? I could use a dummy guide. Do you have the Studio Projects logo facing the stage? And then how exactly do you configure for XY 90? Seems like you have to twist the mic body a bit. Nick, maybe you could post photos or something.

The logo(and 7 pin) face foreward and left. Then you line the dots on the top capsule up so they match at 90*

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2006, 02:47:44 PM »
put another way, the logo and 7pin align with the bottom capsule.  If you're running x/y 90, you'd want the logo and the capsule pointing 45degrees to the right of the sound source and the top capsule pointing 45degrees to the left of the sournd source

Offline vwmule

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2006, 02:54:35 PM »
thanks, though a photo would be great. I'm so challenged in this regard.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2006, 07:07:54 AM »
Darrin...
doesnt what you describe make the top the "left" and the bottom the "right" channels ?
which would be backwards from design ?

as mentioned.
the top capsule turns in both directions.  line them up so they are both facing forward.  then twist the top capule to the right (the short travel direction).  then twist the mic in the shockmount to the left, lining up the dots so that your target is in line w/the dot, which is directly in between the two capsules and represents the 45deg mark.

w/the two other coincident stereo mics like this i've owned or used, that is how it was.  I can't see this mic being different.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 07:12:15 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2006, 08:47:10 AM »
Darrin...
doesnt what you describe make the top the "left" and the bottom the "right" channels ?
which would be backwards from design ?

as mentioned.
the top capsule turns in both directions.  line them up so they are both facing forward.  then twist the top capule to the right (the short travel direction).  then twist the mic in the shockmount to the left, lining up the dots so that your target is in line w/the dot, which is directly in between the two capsules and represents the 45deg mark.

w/the two other coincident stereo mics like this i've owned or used, that is how it was.  I can't see this mic being different.

I am pretty sure you are right on on this one.  That was the only way I was able to configure it to an XY-90 and still have it centered with the sound source.

Now which xlr is which again?  The red is left and the black is right or vice versa?
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2006, 05:26:48 PM »
Would it be possible to run two LSD2's as a stereo pair (with regular xlr's so there's one mic per channel) for some quasi-four cap action? or is this crazy talk? I'm thinking split LSD's in omni mode would be pretty far out.
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2006, 06:36:15 PM »
this would be doable if you had a pair of  xlr(female)> xlr (male) extension cables.  The stock lsd2 mic cable is one long cable that terminates in 2 foot long individual (normal) male xlr connectors. 

Nick, sorry, you're absolutely right, I had a 50/50 chance on that one :)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2006, 11:13:37 AM »
yea, its sort of a crap shoot the other direction, twisting the cap to the left allows for wider angles (and reversed channels), but you have to eyeball it.

the XLR cables, red is supposed to be right.  mine is left, so you'd best check that out.

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2006, 09:39:43 AM »

The logo(and 7 pin) face foreward and left. Then you line the dots on the top capsule up so they match at 90*

JAson

I have painted small orange paint marks on mine.
I'm half-blind, as well as half-lame.    ::)

A short vertical line indicates X-Y front for 90^  and two dots line up for 90^ of rotation
It's easier to tweak from this starting point.

Don't go into a crowded, dark section with out guidemarks.
Also, a small piece of gaffer's tape will help hold the 90^ spacing as you wiggle on the windscreen

I do like the sound, not thrilled 100% with build quality, but what do you want for $700 ?
Rrrrubbbberrrr biscuits ?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 09:48:06 AM by _Bob_ »

Offline vwmule

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2006, 12:14:15 PM »
Yeah, that windscreen is tight as hell. Really had to stuggle to get it on at Wanee last weekend. Even made a small cut in bottom to help it along.

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2006, 12:20:16 PM »
Yeah, that windscreen is tight as hell. Really had to stuggle to get it on at Wanee last weekend. Even made a small cut in bottom to help it along.

would one of the Big Ass Shure or DPA windscreens work? what do people use for SP C3's? ADK TL's? Neumann LD's? hmmm....
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2006, 12:43:20 PM »
would one of the Big Ass Shure or DPA windscreens work? what do people use for SP C3's? ADK TL's? Neumann LD's? hmmm....

The Shure A81WS and DPA UA0896 are for small diaphragm mics.  I use the Neumann WS89 for my AKG C414s.  Check the specs on the U87 and U89 to see if one's close in size to the LSD2.  If it's close, one of those options might work even with a fair amount of variance.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com