Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stereo bar meets shockmount  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Gizby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
stereo bar meets shockmount
« on: August 17, 2006, 04:02:16 PM »
I recently purchased a pair of Studio Projects C4s, with all the accessories that come with it, including a pair of fairly basic shockmounts. They seem to fit onto a 5/16" connection (or so my measuring skills would have me believe). I also purchased a simple AKG stereo bar (as well as a small AKG tripod, most suitable for my needs). The connections on the stereo bar appear to be 9/16". The discrepancy in sizes is obviously a problem. Is there some sort of adapter I can pick up cheap at Rat Shack? Thanks.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline funk_pie

• Victim of comfort
  • Taperssection Member
  • O hai!
    • My db list...
Re: stereo bar meets shockmount
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 04:08:26 PM »
I'm sure there are other solutions, but FWIW, what i've done is removed the threaded brass inserts from the C4 shockmount.  That will leave you a 9/16" thread on the shockmount; however, the connection will then be plastic on metal.  So if you go that way, just remember these things are not indestructable, and use care when attaching/detaching.
As a child, a library card takes you to exotic, faraway places. When you're grown up, a credit card does it.  -Sam Ewing

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 04:26:30 PM »
The KM235 stereo bar has a female 5/8"-27 thread for mounting on a stand, and two male 5/8"-27 threads for mounting shockmounts or mic clips.  The C4 shockmounts probably have a 3/8" female thread (forget the thread pitch).  As FP suggests, the C4s probably have a 3/8" > 5/8" adapter inserted into the base of the shockmounts.  Simply remove the adapter and the shockmounts should then fit a 5/8"-27 male mounting thread.

Tough to tell the the size or thread pitch of the tripod, but if it's 3/8", you should be able to re-purpose one of the 3/8" > 5/8" adapters from one of the C4 shockmounts to convert the tripod thread to 5/8"-27 so the KM235 will mount properly.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 05:24:29 PM »
You're most likely right Brian, it's 3/8" and 5/8". The tripod fits just fine with the stereo bar. No problems there. Since I don't want to remove the insert, I guess I'll have to pick up a couple of these. Kind of a pain. Oh well, at least they're cheap. It's a shame, I'm getting all this AKG equipment, and not one piece of it is a microphone :)
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 07:24:44 PM »
that adapter will work for sure and save you from going metal on plastic...i use my C4's w/ a KM stereo bar, but w/ the metal adapter in the shockmounts removed...no problems there...still, you can accomplish the same result by just removing the adapters in the shockmounts if you want to save some $$$
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com