Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: schoeps and stealthing  (Read 7733 times)

Offline panther65

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
schoeps and stealthing
« on: September 25, 2006, 10:18:17 PM »
I've been listening to mic samples from arhive.org for quite a few days now, and have come to the conclusion that the Schoeps mics are priced high for a reason-they are the best=in my opinion. I have a Tascam HD-P2 with phantom power-what would be the most stealty schoeps setup for this deck ie active cables etc. Doug Oade who I bought the deck from and is extremely helpful, suggested the ST-100 kit which has the limitation of only one capsule. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Schoeps MK4>KCY250/5I>Schoeps VMS 5 U>Tascam HD-P2

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: schoeps and stealthing
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 10:29:29 PM »
Doug makes a good recommendation with the ST-100 kit.  It's a matched pair of CCM4s (cardioids), fixed pattern.  If you want the ability to change patterns with different caps, you'll have to add either <1> the bulk of mic bodies, or <2> an equivalent piece of gear fulfilling the same function, like a Sonosax SX-M2/LS2.  'Course, if you like the CCMx but want other patterns, you could always just add another pair of CCMx with whatever pattern you want.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 10:41:32 PM »
You could also get the CCM5, which is both card and omni, or a MK6 capsule which is Card omni and figure 8 in the same cap.

mics & cameras

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 10:45:29 PM »
Doug makes a good recommendation with the ST-100 kit.  It's a matched pair of CCM4s (cardioids), fixed pattern.  If you want the ability to change patterns with different caps, you'll have to add either <1> the bulk of mic bodies, or <2> an equivalent piece of gear fulfilling the same function, like a Sonosax SX-M2/LS2.  'Course, if you like the CCMx but want other patterns, you could always just add another pair of CCMx with whatever pattern you want.

So if you use the CCM4s with the cardiods you don't need a Sono/Lemosax?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 10:48:51 PM »
So if you use the CCM4s with the cardiods you don't need a Sono/Lemosax?

The CCMx do not require mic bodies, and plug directly into a preamp/phantom power source - just like the DPA 402x compact cardioid series.  The MKx requires a Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 (aka Lemosax) or NBox if one wants to run them without the CMC mic bodies.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 02:32:29 PM »
to be the most versitile, i would get the KC5's (actives) and a pair of the CMC6's (mic bodies)

that way you can change your mic capsules for your application (if it's stealth, then you probably want the hypers (mk41))

then get a pair of interconnects, from the bodies to the deck, so that the fingerprint of the gear is as small as possible.  i too have the hdp2 and i cringe when i see the bodies coming straight out the the deck, plus it's over 12" at that point.

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 05:38:01 PM »
If my math is right, the CCM US stereo kit w/ the lemos will save you about $340 over a 64 stereo kit w/ an ortf bar and a pair of actives.  Or $550 if you were to go w/ the hardwired ccms (the lemos are $105 each mic).  That's certainly some $$$ but when you're talking 3grand + it's not the only thing I'd base my decision on. 

Here's my pro/con list

CCM
============
Pros
--------
- by far the most stealth schoeps setup w/ your current pre...while there are Sax options, etc that are a similar profile w/ the MKx, they are not the same as running a cmc6 whereas the ccm is (or at least that's the claim). 
- somewhat cheaper

Cons
---------
- limited to one polar pattern
- reduced resale value (my opinion, but the polar pattern limitation is a detractor for many people)
- hard to find used

CMC/MK
======
Pros
--------
- ability to switch caps
- fairly easy to find used at better prices

Cons
--------
- more $$$ to get all you need
- less stealthy even in active setup b/c of the bodies.  even if you run pre>cables>cmc6 as Todd suggests it's still a lot of gear to manage compared to the ccms if you have it stuffed down your pants

If you can live w/ cards only and being super stealth is the *critical* decision criteria, the ccms are the way to go.  If you can sacrafice some stealth, then I'd go w/ the cmc/mk active setup b/c you can likely find a set used for the same price as the ccms new and gain quite a bit of flexibility.

mitch

Oade preamp museum curator

Offline panther65

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 08:32:41 PM »
Thanks very much Mitch for your detailed and thoughtful analysis of the pros and cons of the actives vs. ccm. I also would like the ability to add differently patterned capsules to the setup as I go along. Would you know where I might look for a used Schoeps rig, or do you know anyone who might have one?
How would one mount the capsules-in a hat and if so, which hat and how would one affix the capsules?
Thanks again to all of the people who have responded and to this great board!

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 10:06:45 PM »
One more pro to the interchangable MK/KCY Active/CMC list if you lan to spend a little more dough on a lemosax, vms02ib or the AKI2/C (cable to go from binder connection to CMC): One cable running down the back of your neck all the way down the back into your bag, not two.  With the CCM set up you still have two cables running down the back of your neck in to your waist pack, which is a pain the the neck, IMHO.

If you have the KCY 250/0 and KS5i cables, you can quite literally walk in with your mics mounted in the hat and the cable detached (I have the custom extention KS1.8i clipped near my neck all ready to make the connection once inside).  Plug in by feel and not have to make a trip to the bathroom stall or do any funny business like that which may lead one to getting popped.

Offline lobitz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 12:27:03 AM »
Another Schoeps option that I personally have used for years use is the CMBi mic bodies with 4V capsules run XY on my chest.  I slip each mic into a thin sock made of black velour, rubber band the bodies side by side and wear them in an elastic rib belt so they sit front and center on my chest at the very top of my sternum.  No hat, and no need keep your head still -- which is a stealth-seeker give-away.  You can feel free to move your head and look around.  Your chest blocks out a lot of the crowd chatter behind you.  I can wear the mics in the rib belt into the venue (some of us don't have that much room to spare in our pants for mics). 
The CMBi's use a 5-pin miniature Binder connector and there is a Y cable - the KIY 250/0 I - which connects to CMBi bodies to a single stereo mini jack which I run into the mic or line in on my D100.  It would be easy to adapt it to XLR or RCA ins. 
My new game plan will be to use CMC64V worn on my chest in the same configuration into my SD722.  If you taller guys would learn to think "outside of the hat" and try the chest rig, you'd like the results, price and verstility of interchangeable bodies, the ability to stealth with 4Vs and still have a conventional setup for open shows with no extra cost. 
Prior to the Schoeps I also stealthed with AKG414s in the chest rig.

http://www.posthorn.com/S_cmbi.html
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 01:08:41 AM by lobitz »
rig:  Schoeps MK4V, MK41, MK2S, CMC6, CMBi > SD 722 etc...

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 12:29:15 AM »
You might also look into the Schoeps KCY cable > VMS. That will give you the ability to switch caps, no mic bodies, and be super stealth.

http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/acc-mod-electric.html#kcy

http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/vms5u.html
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 03:34:56 AM »
I've been listening to mic samples from arhive.org for quite a few days now, and have come to the conclusion that the Schoeps mics are priced high for a reason-they are the best

:)
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline panther65

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 09:52:19 PM »
I am the excited owner of a new Schoeps mic setup. I bought used (mint)the VMS5U and the KCY250/5I active cable and new two MK4s for $2800. I dealt with Parker at SonicSense who was extemely helpful and knowledgeable. She gave me tips on stealthing-she's been taping and stealthing for 30 years. I will be running this into a Tascam HD-P2. Think I did ok-hope so. Thanks for all of your responses.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 02:11:45 AM »
I'm still curious to see someone legitimately stealth the HDP2, that thing is big....
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline agave

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 01:23:46 AM »
i use ccm41lg's into a pcm660 acm oade marantz , in a hat or velcroed to my lapels . the deck under my arm pit held up by the strap , sat next to the security guy watching the sound board & he never knew what was up . 660 has the phantom power & the locking 3 pin full size mic inputs so no need for any boxes between mic & deck .. mics were in black short fur dead rats & i was dressed in all black  with a turtle neck & Kongol black mesh hat when the mics are in hat .. the 41 's don't pick up the local crowd noise like the mk4's do. Doug Oade said they (the 41's) were the way to on a high end stealth rig & he was VERY right . i've had people seated right in front of me who yaked all nite & i never heard them on the recording . freinds now buy the tickets to the shows i do .. agin this is I M H O

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.244 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com