Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIN + Omni's = ?  (Read 8401 times)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: DIN + Omni's = ?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 12:51:18 PM »
... i like to record a piano real wide because i mess with the panning later to get the desired image.  if i don't record it wide enough to start, i have to re-record which i don't like doing unless it's absolutely critical.  any stereo pair, if placed correctly in a room will give a sense of space no matter what type of polar pattern is used.  as i'm sure you know, stereo recordings are done to get a 3D image.

Yes - I don't mess with my recordings though - stereo pair at 24/96 and that's it.   ;)

i like the idea of pointing omni's vertical if extreme high frequency response is not an issue.

I did it because they were diffuse field omnis with a treble lift and I wanted a flat response - so I tilted them until I got the flat response I wanted (see pic. - click on the pic. for an enlarged version).

I did a write-up of the session HERE.

BTW - can you post a sample of that piano recording.  i'm fascinated by all the different techniques of recording a piano.

Er - I don't put any of my recordings to MP3 as I find the sound so horrible I can't listen to it. But the CD will be released in a couple of months.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 12:54:19 PM »
i didn't ask for an mp3.  a .flac or.wav sample would be fine though :)  thanks for the discussion.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 12:57:38 PM »
which is why i use schoeps mk4's for this app :) they have a nice response in hte low end for a piano IMHO

Schoeps cardioids tend to roll off a bit earlier than some others - a friend used a Schoeps omni and fig-8 together to get a cardioid response with a better bottom end.  He did discuss this with the designer but the response was the best compromise for the mic.

i hear you on the classical music angle.  most of my piano recordings were jazz so i need something to roll off the low end of the piano to give room to the upright bass for the mix.  for solo classical piano i can see how you would want the info from 20Hz-40Hz for a completely filled out sound. good discussion.

Jazz is great - and you certainly need a different technique for jazz piano, especially if it is with other instruments.

(i'd love to hear some samples of your solo piano recordings using this technique)

I don't put any of my recordings on MP3 - hate it!  But if you PM me with an address I may be able to post you a sampler CD.  ;)

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 01:01:40 PM »
i didn't ask for an mp3.  a .flac or.wav sample would be fine though :)  thanks for the discussion.

Hi Brian - bit of a ping-pong here.  Dump me a PM and I'l send you a CD.

Offline Brian

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 01:08:48 PM »
very cool!  thanks!  i'll send you a pm soon.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 01:37:27 PM »
Nice write up of the session, John!  Very interesting read.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 02:47:15 PM »
Nice write up of the session, John!  Very interesting read.

Thanks - I'm back there again on Monday for four days doing the next lot (Chopin mostly as that will be the first CD) and another session booked for July.

Offline Brian

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 04:19:59 PM »
well, that was a giant loop taking us from omni monaural imaging, right back to omni's that are that close together creating a monaural image.

:bigsmile:

that's why i can't wait to hear the sampler CD.  i'm having a hard time believing there is any stereo imaging below 6K. But being the enthusiast i am, i want to hear it anyway.  no matter what, it's going to sound great.  i like the neumann sound on a piano...second to schoeps.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 04:31:34 PM »
  i like the neumann sound on a piano...second to schoeps.

Try the Josephson C617s with Gefell large diameter caps (MK102.1) sometime.  I use Schoeps and DPA as well, but the Josephsons are amazing.

Jeff

Offline Brian

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 04:35:16 PM »
  i like the neumann sound on a piano...second to schoeps.

Try the Josephson C617s with Gefell large diameter caps (MK102.1) sometime.  I use Schoeps and DPA as well, but the Josephsons are amazing.

Jeff

hmmmm. if i ever come across that microphone for a piano recording situation, i'll have to keep that in mind.  thanks for the recommendation.

mike - i hear you about having hte piano as part of an ensemble.  that's why, typically if the director knows what they're doing, the piano will be in the back or way off to the side unless the soloist is a pianist.

if i was recording solo classical piano, i think i would want a softer, more distant sound as well.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 04:37:17 PM by Brian Sax »

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 05:23:35 PM »
when using flanking omnis, i like the main stereo pair to be in a coincident fashion.  Preferably M/S.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 05:24:34 PM »
I also wonder...
wouldn't just a 3 mic mix work pretty well?  one card directly on axis.  flanking omnis or subs.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com