Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG c460 thoughts...  (Read 24042 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
AKG c460 thoughts...
« on: June 03, 2007, 09:14:44 PM »
as compared to the 480?
what about the JW mods to the preamp body?

I have some JWM460s, and I'm forming my own thoughts on them.  I'm very familiar w/the 480 sound, and LOVE it to death.  Not so familiar w/the 460 sounds, let alone the JWM version.
what the hell would the market value of the jwmod bodies be..by chance ?  I never see them for sale anywhere.
Don't worry John...I'm not selling your recently departed mics....yet.
 >:D

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
Re: AKG c460 thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 08:28:17 PM »
i absolutly love my 460s.

they have the transformer warmth i dig with the akg sizzle.  coupled with a bm2p+ (or a t+mod or v3) and you get detail as well.

/fluff

[that said, i will probably move to neumann 140s at some point when i have more money]

edit for spelling
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 11:47:10 PM by jeromejello »
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 08:38:56 PM »
I love the JW Mod 460 sound!  A great transparent & fast mic that can't be beat for the price.  I really like them straight into the T+ Mod UA-5 and also M148 > V3.  The highs can be a *bit* grating at times, especially when run straight into the V3.  Interestingly enough, I didn't find them grating with the T+ Mod UA-5 by any means. 

I think Moke & Goose's comp comparing the JW Mod's & the 4022's said it all.  The JW Mods are very similar to the DPA's at a fraction of the cost, & they allow the use of multiple caps.  I only sold mine to move to an active setup, but I would never hesitate to move back to them in the future.  JW Mod bodies alone ~$650 to $750 based upon condition.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 09:21:09 PM »
IMO the 460's are great mics, and for the price they are hard to beat in the SD condensor market. I prefer the stock sound to the jw mod sound although I acknowledge the fact that that is a personal preference. I know that it is blasphemy to many tapers, but in a boomy room I love to run the roll off switch on the bodies.

I'd imagine the JWM460s sound fantastic on a nice tube playback setup.

Offline d5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 10:10:24 PM »
love 'em coupled with my acm660 ...very transparent combo

another differance with the jw mod is deeper bass response. if you're planning on doing any outdoor taping with cards or hypercards, you'll need a good set of windscreens or dead rats.
JW mod AKG 460/ck61's > Sound Devices 702

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 12:53:55 AM »
I too prefer my stock 460 to the JW mod 460. After running both, to my ears the JW's are just too bright.  I like transformers 8)
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 01:22:12 AM »
pretty much ditto what gumbino said, in a great sounding situation the jw460s can sound really nice with the grace pres or other transparent sounding preamp but def have a tendency (to my ears) to be a little bright and thin sounding particularly in a not so great sounding room.

I have found (again to my ears) that they sound much more consistent with a fuller well balanced sound with still keeping most of the detail and transparency when paired with a warmer (transformer) pre.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 07:45:13 AM »
so far, I like what I hear out of them w/my Apogee MMP.  Not too thin at all....nice AKG sizzle but a little wetter sounding than the 480 signature.

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 07:55:37 AM »
i have run my transformer based 460's through a transformer based mp-2 pre and thought it was ok, but a little loose on the bass. then ran digimod ua-5 and thought it was alright but not stellar and never was able to dial in levels correctly.

moved to V2 and thought it was great conbo especially with the mod-sbm1, but sold both to move to the V3 and i am happy.

i agree a transparent pre is the way to go...at least for me. i have been wanting to try my buddy's mini-me also.

never run the jim williams modded bodies, though, so cant help there.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 08:00:02 AM »
i've got a boatload of 460's. best small diaphram condenser around.
i sent a pair to Jim Williams to be modded...got em back, used em once, and sold them off.
the mod did nothing for me.....stock sounds much better to my ears.
if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ps. mine mostly get used on stage as highhat/overhead/toys mics, not as much as recording mics...but i have used them for ambient mics from back at FOH and they work perfectly.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 08:48:40 AM »
I too prefer my stock 460 to the JW mod 460. After running both, to my ears the JW's are just too bright.  I like transformers 8)

what he said...

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 09:11:19 AM »
Well I have only used my JWmod 460's a couple times now and I had some stock 460's as well and here are my thoughts so far. The JW's are much cleaner and much more detailed. The stock 460's to me are way to dark and loose in the low end. The JW's have a really tight bass response and are really fast.

I'll post more thoughts when I use them more. The first real test is Panic at Red Rocks >:D

Quick question for you JWmod owners. Do your mics take a while to get levels? Mine kind of take a few seconds to get normal levels. They fluctuate for a little while and then go to normal.

Harrison
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 10:27:55 AM by Dutchman1101 »

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 01:52:08 PM »
I was thinking they sounded typical AKG crispy (detailed), but w/a wetter presentation (more neumanesque almost) than what I consider to be the somewhat drier sound of the 480.
but what the hell, i've barely used them.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 02:02:28 PM »
480:  very clean and transparent, deep bass and very detailed highs some find fatiguing to the ears
460:  very round and fat sound yet still transparent, less detailed sound overall with less bass response, more midrange sound, and less detailed highs

since one is a condenser mic and the other is a transducer mic these differences are to be expected

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 02:15:16 PM »
I was thinking they sounded typical AKG crispy (detailed), but w/a wetter presentation (more neumanesque almost) than what I consider to be the somewhat drier sound of the 480.
but what the hell, i've barely used them.

I've barely used theM too so it's going to take a while for a proper opinion.

Nick-Did you have the level thing I descibed above?

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 03:17:11 PM »
Quick question for you JWmod owners. Do your mics take a while to get levels? Mine kind of take a few seconds to get normal levels. They fluctuate for a little while and then go to normal.

How long are you talking?  I noticed it took a moment for them to come up to level, but it was a matter of seconds for the phantom to kick in & add gain.  This was consistent when running with my V3 or with my P2.  IIRC, I have the same experience when running my LSD2.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 03:28:29 PM »

How long are you talking?  I noticed it took a moment for them to come up to level, but it was a matter of seconds for the phantom to kick in & add gain.  This was consistent when running with my V3 or with my P2.  IIRC, I have the same experience when running my LSD2.

It varies Matt. I can't recall how long it took with the 148 but I know it took a few seconds at least. I know With the Tascam it takes a little while and with my buddies R4 it did the same thing. Maybe I'll do a test or two tonight.

Anyone else have this with the JW's.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 03:31:22 PM »
i see the same thing Matt said above, but a matter of 1-2 seconds at most, i always assumed it was more an issue of the pre getting the power to the mics but its never been any reason of concern for me

Nick as a new jwmod owner one trick i've found to be helpful is to make sure you unpause the recorder before the 2nd set starts  ;) ;D

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 03:45:55 PM »
i always assumed it was more an issue of the pre getting the power to the mics but its never been any reason of concern for me

Exactly my thoughts/experiences.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 03:55:56 PM »
Now that you mention it, I have noticed that it takes the levels a while to come up on the P2 depending upon your startup procedure.  I find if you power up, turn on phantom, press pause & then add your gain, when you press record the levels come up much faster.  If you turn on phantom & add gain & then press record it appears the levels take longer to come up. 

This is consistent on the P2 with the LSD2 & the JW Mods.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 05:10:38 PM »
nope.  they fire right up afaik.

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 05:23:16 PM »
nope.  they fire right up afaik.

:hmmm: I guess I'll check to see what they do with the 671.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 05:52:42 PM »

since one is a condenser mic and the other is a transducer mic these differences are to be expected

I think you may have your terminology confused.  Both mics are condensors.  You have dynamics and condensor microphones.  I think you are referring to the 45x series of microphones, which were electrics though still condensors.

More on the subject of condensors and electrics (and other pertinent terminology).
http://members.aol.com/mihartkopf/lexicon.htm

Desription of what a transducer is and more on mic terminology.
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/music/studio/teaching/audio/Mics/mics.htm

Sure you knew all this already, just didn't want people getting confused.  :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 05:56:33 PM by stirinthesauce »

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2007, 09:03:02 PM »
i see the same thing Matt said above, but a matter of 1-2 seconds at most, i always assumed it was more an issue of the pre getting the power to the mics but its never been any reason of concern for me

Nick as a new jwmod owner one trick i've found to be helpful is to make sure you unpause the recorder before the 2nd set starts  ;) ;D

Now that is some funny sh*t right there  :yahoo:
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 10:37:31 AM »
I just got a pair of 460's with 63caps. They are pretty old and don't know how I can test them. Was thinking about sending them out to get the mod. I have only run them at home in tests. I will be taking them out in the  field this weekend. I will keep you posted.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 10:46:29 AM »

I think you may have your terminology confused.  Both mics are condensors.  You have dynamics and condensor microphones.  I think you are referring to the 45x series of microphones, which were electrics though still condensors.

More on the subject of condensors and electrics (and other pertinent terminology).

Those are great sites!!  Excellent, concise info -- I just scanned them, but need to read thru them a bit more when I have more time.

As long as we're going to try to keep people from being confused though -- the AKG 451's are electret mics, not electric. :)
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

stirinthesauce

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 10:54:01 AM »

Those are great sites!!  Excellent, concise info -- I just scanned them, but need to read thru them a bit more when I have more time.

As long as we're going to try to keep people from being confused though -- the AKG 451's are electret mics, not electric. :)

ahh, thanks for correcting my spelling  ;D  Your are correct!

That first site was courtesy of d_fu on this board.  He is an occassional drop in on team beyer.  Excellent info!  That other site I just stumbled upon, timne to bookmark it.  For all the info on the first link posted, go here:  http://members.aol.com/mihartkopf/

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 11:24:39 AM »
I've owned stock 460's and still own my JW's. I prefered the stock 460's>V3 over the JW>V3 for all the reasons mentioned above. JW's>V3 has been hit or miss for me. I'm finding myself running JW>722 much more often these days.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 04:06:07 PM »
I've owned stock 460's and still own my JW's. I prefered the stock 460's>V3 over the JW>V3 for all the reasons mentioned above. JW's>V3 has been hit or miss for me. I'm finding myself running JW>722 much more often these days.

agreed! i have been only running 480>722 and def prefer that sound for most of the venues i record in, its more rounded and balanced across the spectrum IMO, I would be the jw mod sounds very similar.....
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Celac

• Taperssection Newbie
  • ...enough with the bits already,
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2007, 10:24:51 PM »

Hey,
If the 451 are electret, how are the caps interchangeable with the c60/61 and (with thread adapters) the 460?
Celac
...can't get enough of nothing!

Did your friend consider that maybe he got a basically accurate recording of a bad P.A. system and/or a terrible-sounding performance venue? When you aim good microphones at ugly sound, the resulting recording will not be beautiful.
DSatz

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2007, 08:28:50 AM »
afaik, the 451s can't run the ck6x caps.

Offline Celac

• Taperssection Newbie
  • ...enough with the bits already,
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2007, 04:48:46 PM »
afaik, the 451s can't run the ck6x caps.

That is correct, it is the other way around. CK1 etc can be used on 460 w/ a thread adapter.  They are smaller in diameter, see: http://www.coutant.org/akgc460b/index.html  second pic is 460 w/ ck1.  They fit directly on c60/61.
...can't get enough of nothing!

Did your friend consider that maybe he got a basically accurate recording of a bad P.A. system and/or a terrible-sounding performance venue? When you aim good microphones at ugly sound, the resulting recording will not be beautiful.
DSatz

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2007, 08:12:19 PM »
sweet link.
love this: http://www.coutant.org/akgc460b/service.pdf
+TTTTEEEEE

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2007, 09:07:36 PM »
well I'm joining the team, I've got some stock 460s with the ck61 caps on the way!

Offline landshark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2007, 04:26:45 PM »
Congrats Ehren!

I just got my 460's back from service and tried them out at home with the hyper caps running directly into my MR1 (I don't have a pre-amp, yet...) and I was blown away.  The 460's are replacing my current 391's (not bad mics in their own right), but the reduction in noise with the 460's is frickin' amazing.  I can't wait to get them out on the road for some taping!!

Mike
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2007, 04:51:02 PM »
Congrats Ehren!

I just got my 460's back from service and tried them out at home with the hyper caps running directly into my MR1 (I don't have a pre-amp, yet...) and I was blown away.  The 460's are replacing my current 391's (not bad mics in their own right), but the reduction in noise with the 460's is frickin' amazing.  I can't wait to get them out on the road for some taping!!

Mike

Where did you send them and was there a problem? One of my mics is quite a bit older than the other and I was wondering if it'd be a good idea to send them in for a check up. Does akg offer matching service? I used them this weekend and they sound great so no problems; is there anything that normally goes wrong with a condenser mic over time?

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2007, 04:57:39 PM »
Congrats Ehren!

Mike

Where did you send them and was there a problem? One of my mics is quite a bit older than the other and I was wondering if it'd be a good idea to send them in for a check up. Does akg offer matching service? I used them this weekend and they sound great so no problems; is there anything that normally goes wrong with a condenser mic over time?

Dropping them ;) :P ;D

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2007, 05:24:24 PM »
It doesn't count if they don't actually touch the ground, it's like the 3 second rule. Thank jah for shockmounts and windscreens 8)

Offline eclark

• Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2007, 06:06:17 PM »
hmmm, this is a good thread. i just found a pair of old AKG 451eb mics with ck1 caps at work last week (i work in the multimedia services department at my school). and so apparently the music dept had just given them back to us or something. well they were ALL beat up like duct tape, glue, all this shit, so i took them home over the weekend and cleaned them up real nice and restored them to how they should look. i also did some tests on them with a pretty lame preamp and i was BLOWN away at how much better they sounded than my C4s and 853s ive got now. it was just so clear and natural, i could hear almost the same exact thing with headphones and without. i really liek those vintage mics and would love to pick up a pair. i tried to convince my boss to sell them to me but its against policy so...

so, anyways, ive been really interested in AKGs since then (that was my first experience with them lol) and ive been reading about the 451s and 460 and that will probably be the next set of mics i get. ill probably pair them with a Busman mod Ua5 which I hear is pretty similar to the T-mod that oade does.

i dunno, im gonna be running my 853s for DUMB this weekend so well see what happens...
akg 460b + ck61 (-10db) > MixPre-D > Sony PCM M10

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2007, 03:11:53 PM »
hmmm, this is a good thread. i just found a pair of old AKG 451eb mics with ck1 caps at work last week (i work in the multimedia services department at my school). and so apparently the music dept had just given them back to us or something. well they were ALL beat up like duct tape, glue, all this shit, so i took them home over the weekend and cleaned them up real nice and restored them to how they should look. i also did some tests on them with a pretty lame preamp and i was BLOWN away at how much better they sounded than my C4s and 853s ive got now. it was just so clear and natural, i could hear almost the same exact thing with headphones and without. i really liek those vintage mics and would love to pick up a pair. i tried to convince my boss to sell them to me but its against policy so...

so, anyways, ive been really interested in AKGs since then (that was my first experience with them lol) and ive been reading about the 451s and 460 and that will probably be the next set of mics i get. ill probably pair them with a Busman mod Ua5 which I hear is pretty similar to the T-mod that oade does.

i dunno, im gonna be running my 853s for DUMB this weekend so well see what happens...

Honestly, and this is just my opinion, there are better options than the ua5 these days. If you are running a ua5 then you need a recorder, 2 battery setups ect...With the price of all in one boxes these days I don't think you save anything by going with a ua5. Obviously if you have one already or something l ike that then it could make sense but if not, there are great all-in-one solutions all for well under a grand. the marantz 660 with the oade mod, fr2 with either the oade or busman mod ect...The ua5 was agreat alternative to say the v3 back in the day for obvious price reasons, but today there could be better options for you.

Offline landshark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2007, 05:21:45 PM »
Congrats Ehren!

Mike

Actually, I bought the mic bodies in yard sale and had no caps, and sent them straight on to Jim Williams for modding without testing them first.  He sent them back with a note that both of the mics were busted, an op amp snapped off on both.  I have no idea where, when or how that occurred, unfortunately.  Jim did comment that it's a common problem with the 460 mics, usually as a result of harsh handling.  So, for what it's worth, always test your mics when you recieve them!!

Oh, well, total cost to repair and ship back, parts and all was $200 at LAND Audio (who is the offical US AKG repair place, but contact them directly if possible).  That sucks, but it could have been worse.  And now I've got some sweet mics!  Gonna hold off on the JW mod for a bit, until I get a few test runs in and better understand the stock sound.  Sounds like there's a diversity of opinion on which sounds better.

Mike

AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2007, 02:33:30 AM »
I got my 463's bout a month and a half ago and have been very happy with them. There is definitely a learning curve. Apparently you have to run the bass rolloff when recording really loud/bassy shows. Learned that the hard way. I ran wide open at Bonnaroo on the first day, and didn't bring my headphones with me. The whole day my level meters were showing in the green, but when I listened to it later it was bass distorted. The sound pressure was too great but it didn't register on my deck. The next day I ran bass rolloff and the recordings came out smokin. In fact, I kind of like the way it sounds with the bass rolloff for the larger shows. I think that recordings with it wide open have a tendacy to be too bass heavy and it drowns out your highs. I will experiment with running it wide open but with the -20 attenuation on the mics to see what the bass response is like. Will try it out in the morning.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2007, 06:33:03 AM »
I got my 463's bout a month and a half ago and have been very happy with them. There is definitely a learning curve. Apparently you have to run the bass rolloff when recording really loud/bassy shows. Learned that the hard way. I ran wide open at Bonnaroo on the first day, and didn't bring my headphones with me. The whole day my level meters were showing in the green, but when I listened to it later it was bass distorted. The sound pressure was too great but it didn't register on my deck. The next day I ran bass rolloff and the recordings came out smokin. In fact, I kind of like the way it sounds with the bass rolloff for the larger shows. I think that recordings with it wide open have a tendacy to be too bass heavy and it drowns out your highs. I will experiment with running it wide open but with the -20 attenuation on the mics to see what the bass response is like. Will try it out in the morning.

yep, thats the warm transformer soundf the stock 460's :) I really like the older Phish recordings with the stock 460's. But since digital recording has gotten to be more critical and demanding, I think the quicker transients of the mod460's/480's make those 2 a nicer match for digital recording IMO.

BUT, I would still rather have a stock 460 tape over ALOT of other mics :)

You have a nice mic collection nolafishwater, how do those XLS's sound with teh ACM 660? the ACM 660 is the 'warm; flava right?

Oh and nice catch in that pic 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2007, 08:37:49 PM »
I just commited to buying a pair of stock C-460 bodies. I know and love the C-480 sound, as I'm keeping mine and plan to run the C-460's as a second rig. I've been reading all the various JWmod vs stock C-460's threads and plan to do my own comparisons.

I just thought I'd bump this thread to get some more input.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2007, 08:41:03 PM »
the JW mods have really grown on me.  very fast, detailed transients.  Excellently tight bass.
I was going to dump them for 480 bodies, but now i'm completely happy w/what I'm hearing out of them.

fwiw...love them XY

Offline Chuck

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2007, 08:59:12 PM »
the JW mods have really grown on me.  very fast, detailed transients.  Excellently tight bass.
I was going to dump them for 480 bodies, but now i'm completely happy w/what I'm hearing out of them.

fwiw...love them XY

Nick, what capsules are you using?

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2007, 09:01:51 PM »
61s.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2007, 09:21:11 PM »
is that stock vs jwmod comp still floating around somewhere? I have a nicer playback setup now that I'd like to try it out with... back when I first heard it I didn't notice a huge difference.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2007, 09:45:22 PM »
is that stock vs jwmod comp still floating around somewhere? I have a nicer playback setup now that I'd like to try it out with... back when I first heard it I didn't notice a huge difference.

Mikey put it up on Tapers.org:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,52183.msg900272.html#msg900272

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2007, 09:45:53 PM »
interesting nick - you seem to be more of a fan of XY in general, but I haven't really been happy with the results the few times ive run the JW mods XY, but I wasn't really a fan of XY with the C4s either.

where do you usually run XY from or does it not matter?

tapers.org

user: ftp4all
pw: ftp4all

im 99% sure its on Drive1

edit: matt beat me to it  ;D

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2007, 09:57:51 PM »
Thanks guys! +t's around...

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2007, 10:00:20 PM »

8)

What's up, Mikey?  Long time no talk.  Hope all is well.  Thanks again for up'n the comp to the FTP!  +T

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2007, 11:33:42 PM »

8)

What's up, Mikey?  Long time no talk.  Hope all is well.  Thanks again for up'n the comp to the FTP!  +T

:cheers:

doin well, busy with lots of summer shows  ;D

how you liking the dpas?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2007, 07:24:57 AM »
interesting nick - you seem to be more of a fan of XY in general, but I haven't really been happy with the results the few times ive run the JW mods XY, but I wasn't really a fan of XY with the C4s either.

I run them from far...and I run them from near.
I run them all over.  I just like the way XY prserves whatever imaging the PA is spitting out (from way back) , Plus it is the most "wind friendly" setup you can have w/a pair of mics. 
I like DIN and ORTF too, but coincident just does it for me.  sounds more natural to my ear.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2007, 08:08:25 AM »
:cheers:

doin well, busy with lots of summer shows  ;D

how you liking the dpas?

Love them.  They rock.   8)

Offline Chuck

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2007, 08:05:36 PM »
Nick, I'm listening to your 08-12 RatDog recording...

I wasn't expecting it to sound so analytical. It has a very *exact* sound to it. Probably not the best words, but analytical/ exact are the first words that pop in my head.

I guess that's the JW460 sound, as I am starting to hear it in the old C460/ JW-C460/ C480 comparrisions.

In listening to those comparissions, I right away gravitate to the 480 recording, followed by the stock C460's.

Since I am getting a pair of stock C460's soon, of course, I have am considering whether to get them JW moded or not...

When I listen to the comps, I hear the stock C460's as sounding more coloured than the other two. But to my ears, more organic, in a good way.

Hearing that Brad, Shawn and rokpunk like the stock mic's surprised me a bit, before I listened to the comps, but now I see/ hear what they mean.

As always, it's great to exchange thoughts and opinions. Seeing this thread is what got me thinking about buying a pair of the C460's.
Thanks for the heads up, as being able to run my C480's side by side with the C460's for a while will let me experiment more than I usually do, which hopefully will be educational.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2007, 08:57:25 PM »
I always liked and still do like the stock 460 sound... loooking forward to running actives into the 702...

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2007, 11:10:18 PM »

I run them from far...and I run them from near.
I run them all over.  I just like the way XY prserves whatever imaging the PA is spitting out (from way back) , Plus it is the most "wind friendly" setup you can have w/a pair of mics. 
I like DIN and ORTF too, but coincident just does it for me.  sounds more natural to my ear.

I never used to dig XY with my old mics (Studio Projects C4s), but I have really started to like it with my new-to-me 460s.  I like how the warmness of the 460s blends with the tightness of the XY pattern.

Not to pimp my shit out, but here are some recent 460 XY recordings I did:

Ratdog at the Greek in LA:
http://www.archive.org/details/rd2007-07-28.akg460.flac16

Ratdog out here in AZ at an outdoor festival:
http://www.archive.org/details/rd2007-04-27.akg460.flac16
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2007, 11:49:37 PM »
Can the CK1/2/3x active caps be run with a lemo > miniXLR cable into the standard 9V 3-wire battery boxes that are commonplace around these parts now?

Offline sanaka

• Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2007, 12:14:08 AM »
I've seen a lot of references to the c460 around, this thread being a prime example, so I suppose they must exist, but... there ain't no such thing on the AKG website. After c451 it goes to the c480. Wut up wid dat? Thanks!

Peace,
Sanaka

Offline thekittycatt

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2007, 12:23:04 AM »
akg does not make 460's anymore.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2007, 08:29:45 AM »
Chuck...
if you ever have any interest in trading mics for a month or so..., hit me up.
then you can get a real feel for them.

the JWms are ..., detailed up the wazoo. 

Offline Chuck

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2007, 09:15:16 AM »
Chuck...
if you ever have any interest in trading mics for a month or so..., hit me up.
then you can get a real feel for them.

the JWms are ..., detailed up the wazoo. 

Thanks for the, generous, offer. +T!
I will contact you if I decide to go that route.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2007, 09:18:34 AM »
Can the CK1/2/3x active caps be run with a lemo > miniXLR cable into the standard 9V 3-wire battery boxes that are commonplace around these parts now?
Ive been trying to find out something similar to this about whether the lemosax could safely run these caps as well.
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2007, 09:21:11 AM »
Ive been trying to find out something similar to this about whether the lemosax could safely run these caps as well.

I feel like someone just has to be the ginea pig and try it ....

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2007, 09:29:01 AM »

I feel like someone just has to be the ginea pig and try it ....

It's all you if you want to try :)
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2007, 09:44:40 AM »
I sent an email to Sonosax regarding the Lemosax and CK1x capsules back in April of '07.

I received a reply from Sonosax regarding if the CK1x, CK2x, and CK3x capsules will work in conjunction with the Lemosax. Here is the email reply I received from them:

Dear John,

thank you for your message.

The AKG CK1x, CK2x, and CK3x also works with our SONOSAX SX-M2/LS, as we did some
testing in the past.

Just make sure that the pinning is fully compatible with our system

LEMO in L: Shield = Gnd, Pin 1 = +10V, 2 = +48V, 3 = signal in
LEMO in R: Shield = Gnd, Pin 1 = +10V, 2 = +48V, 3 = signal in

Kind regards

Pierre Blanc
SONOSAX
Sales and Customer Support

Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2007, 09:49:05 AM »
I sent an email to Sonosax regarding the Lemosax and CK1x capsules back in April of '07.

I received a reply from Sonosax regarding if the CK1x, CK2x, and CK3x capsules will work in conjunction with the Lemosax. Here is the email reply I received from them:

Dear John,

thank you for your message.

The AKG CK1x, CK2x, and CK3x also works with our SONOSAX SX-M2/LS, as we did some
testing in the past.

Just make sure that the pinning is fully compatible with our system

LEMO in L: Shield = Gnd, Pin 1 = +10V, 2 = +48V, 3 = signal in
LEMO in R: Shield = Gnd, Pin 1 = +10V, 2 = +48V, 3 = signal in

Kind regards

Pierre Blanc
SONOSAX
Sales and Customer Support

Awesome. Thanks John.

I wonder if that would sound nice...

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2007, 09:44:14 PM »
I have posted a sample / comparison of 4022's->V3 vs. AKG460jw->V3 both sampling at 1644
An acoustic recording from first row dfc. Both mics on same stand, same height (give or take a couple of inches).

AKG460jw_actives_cards_DINA-A_17cm90º->V3 by Goose
DPA4022_DIN-A_17cm90º->V3 by Moke

ftp:www.tapers.org
user:ftp4all
pw:ftp4all
drive1 : find-> 4022_vs_460jw_comp

this is a movement of Bach Brandenberg Concerto for flute and violin (??bwv?? I'll look it up)
this is a movement of Bach Brandenburg Concerto in G Major: Andante (2nd movement) BWV1049

Thanks for the comp... must say, I find the 4022 source to be quite noticeably better... not as harsh, more nicely rounded, with just slightly more detail.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2007, 09:56:45 PM »
I have posted a sample / comparison of 4022's->V3 vs. AKG460jw->V3 both sampling at 1644
An acoustic recording from first row dfc. Both mics on same stand, same height (give or take a couple of inches).

this is a movement of Bach Brandenberg Concerto for flute and violin (??bwv?? I'll look it up)
this is a movement of Bach Brandenburg Concerto in G Major: Andante (2nd movement) BWV1049

Thanks for the comp... must say, I find the 4022 source to be quite noticeably better... not as harsh, more nicely rounded, with just slightly more detail.

I haven't listened to this comp in a few years, but I agree with your assessment.  However, the JW Mods sound fantastic considering the price point compared to the DPA's.  A fraction of the cost for the majority of the sound IMO.  Great budget HQ mics if you ask me.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2007, 10:01:08 PM »

I haven't listened to this comp in a few years, but I agree with your assessment.  However, the JW Mods sound fantastic considering the price point compared to the DPA's.  A fraction of the cost for the majority of the sound IMO.  Great budget HQ mics if you ask me.

Oh, I definitely agree there, but the question for me is whether the JW mod is actually worth the extra 400 bucks over the stock bodies... all the comps I've heard don't suggest it is... that's to my ears though.

Comparing anything to 4022's will make you like your own mics a little less I think, unless you are fortunate enough to own a pair.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2007, 10:04:05 PM »
I think the stock 460's are a better match to the V3, I find the JW mods to be just a bit strident with it. Just my opinion.  Id like to hear them into a mine-me or an ad1k.  Wonder what an MP-2 would sound like with the JW's?
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2007, 10:10:49 PM »

Oh, I definitely agree there, but the question for me is whether the JW mod is actually worth the extra 400 bucks over the stock bodies... all the comps I've heard don't suggest it is... that's to my ears though.

Comparing anything to 4022's will make you like your own mics a little less I think, unless you are fortunate enough to own a pair.

IMHO the JW Mod 460's do not pair up nicely with the V3 (which is the pre used in this comp). I tried that combo a few times and would never do it again. Very bright, harsh and brittle sounding.

Now on the other hand, put the JW mods in front of an aerco mp2, and to my ears, that's about as good as it gets. Night and day difference between JW mods > V3 and JW mods > aerco.

I am not trying to diss the comp Moke put together, just wanted to let people know that there is a more compatible preamp than the V3 for the JW mods that may change your opinion about getting the mod done to your 460's.

-John
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2007, 10:12:13 PM »
I'd like to hear the same comp but straight into a 7xx ... or a stock vs JW mod comp into a 7xx.. if anyone could throw that together, that'd be great.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2007, 10:13:48 PM »
I think the stock 460's are a better match to the V3, I find the JW mods to be just a bit strident with it. Just my opinion.  Id like to hear them into a mine-me or an ad1k.  Wonder what an MP-2 would sound like with the JW's?

sound devices or aerco?

i've run both  ;D

found the SD mp-2 to be a little to fat sounding and not as much detail with the mics as other pres
http://www.archive.org/details/rse2006-02-22.akg461.flac16

aerco is fucking beautiful with these mics, with further testing i would possibly buy one down the road
here's a recent show from High Sierra, i think it sounds very nice

YMSB -JWmod 461 > aerco mp2 > 722
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=508223

i would like to run a MME some time as well, hmmm paging James...  ;D

I'd like to hear the same comp but straight into a 7xx ... or a stock vs JW mod comp into a 7xx.. if anyone could throw that together, that'd be great.

we have the capability of JWmod v stock in LA, Justin and I have been meaning to do a stock v JWmod >722 comp for a while but just haven't done it, maybe tomorrow for TLG...

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2007, 11:33:41 PM »
i love my stock 460's and have no desire to have anything done to them. i think i lucked out by having 460's be the first affordable used mics i could find when i was ready to buy. i have not regretted this purchase at all.

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2007, 02:27:40 AM »
i would be willing to lend out a different preamp than most use. i'm 50 and have listened to many pre's. i'm big in old school car audio and for me, robert zeff (ZAPCO) drove the bus for killer audio due to sound quality. i have worked with him and know him personally as well as owning stuff from him with serial #'s below 005 from the early days before we designed stuff together. i currently listen via adcom monoblox and mirage M1's as well as some rare ADS 5 driver 3 way systems - but then i worked for the company that acquired ads and then killed ultimately them  >:(  i currently use a Sony XES system - 10K when new and i was one of the two installers in CA sony trained when it debuted - in my ride.

Sony DMX-P01 digital mixer. well loved by everyone from charlie miller (kimock) to slim (abb and mule). takes the _best_ of any mic and puts it down on tape just fine. usd to dislike the akg sound as thin... accurate but thin - sp the high end. now i own waayy too much akg. and still love my old senn's. i'll post ratdog from the greek la from the back done with me88 guns that are older than most folks on this list.

maybe the second quart of don julio is getting to me so i will just bail out now while it is safe. f-ing best mixer i have ever used... going to try the korg mr1000>shure FP33>mics combo next as well as the mr1000>dmx-p01 combo.... seems a wate of the sony digi mixer tho as the korg is only analogue in and the sony is a a>d mixer at 24/48 or 24/96....

sorry for the lengthy ... takilla will do that

neil in san marcos
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2007, 09:07:39 AM »

sound devices or aerco?

i've run both  ;D

found the SD mp-2 to be a little to fat sounding and not as much detail with the mics as other pres
http://www.archive.org/details/rse2006-02-22.akg461.flac16

aerco is fucking beautiful with these mics, with further testing i would possibly buy one down the road
here's a recent show from High Sierra, i think it sounds very nice

YMSB -JWmod 461 > aerco mp2 > 722
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=508223

i would like to run a MME some time as well, hmmm paging James...  ;D

we have the capability of JWmod v stock in LA, Justin and I have been meaning to do a stock v JWmod >722 comp for a while but just haven't done it, maybe tomorrow for TLG...

I was thinking Aerco, but thanks for the links to both of those sources.  Good to hear the SD MP-2 as well. Ill take a listen to both. +t
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

Offline Chuck

« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2007, 04:31:33 PM »
Can someone tell me if the JW mod C460's have about 6 db more output than the stock units?

Making them closer in output to the C480's?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 04:35:51 PM by Chuck »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.226 seconds with 107 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com