Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Neumann KM185 vs AK50  (Read 8413 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Neumann KM185 vs AK50
« on: December 12, 2007, 09:57:54 AM »
There have been many discussions and debates in the past about whether there's a sound difference between the Neumann km184's and the AK40 > km100, but what about the 185's vs. AK50?

There a plenty of archive samples of both models of cardioids and of course the AK50s, but I see no archive samples with 185s, so wondering if anyone out there has done any sampling of their own and reached any conclusions.

Thanks.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Neumann KM185 vs AK50
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 10:56:58 AM »
no difference

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:18:54 AM »
well there is a sonic difference between the 184 and ak40/lc3 setup

so logically it would follow that there would be a sonic difference between the 185 and ak50/lc3 setup

but I don't know if anyone has actually done a comparison with this setup like they have with the 184/ak40 so
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 12:04:14 PM »
there is?
not one I can hear.

i've given myself enough little 140/184 tests to see if I can hear any difference.
my results...., i'll never pay for 140s' again when 184s can be had for a grand less.

Offline AlexG

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I'll get that show to you tomorrow, I promise"
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 12:35:30 PM »
there is?
not one I can hear.

i've given myself enough little 140/184 tests to see if I can hear any difference.
my results...., i'll never pay for 140s' again when 184s can be had for a grand less.
Makes sense, heck you could have 184s and 185s for the price of the active set up and have two sets of mics instead of one.
Mics: Neumann km184, Avatone CK-1 *FOR SALE*
Pres: Grace Lunatec V3 OptiMod *FOR SALE*
Recs: Tascam HD-P2, iRiver H120 30gb, iRiver H120 4gb CF Modded *FOR SALE*

My recordings on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Manitunes

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 12:40:08 PM »
there is?
not one I can hear.

ToddR did a comp several years ago and noted a difference. I've used both recently and I think the 184s are a touch brighter

does it justify the huge difference in costs? Probably not :)  I've made nice tapes with both.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 12:47:59 PM »
I have listened to some ak-50 sources from some WSP fall tour that are on etree currently, http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=511241 , for instance.I really enjoyed how they sounded, 184 seem to heavy(bassy) for me; I can get 185's and get the approx same sound?
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 12:51:26 PM »
Yes

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 02:00:54 PM »
185>MME 
totally punchy, in your FACE FOB type sounding rig.  always loved that combo.

in any case, dispite what people claim to hear / not hear (myself included).  Let your own ears be the judge.  although, impossible really w/o a really good comp into something like an R4 w/4 channels of the same preamp/AD.

Neumann says "same".  good enough for me.  they have no reason to lie.   They could easily say "the km100/akXX does sound better than the straight KM series due to...???? ", but they dont.
that tells me something.

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 03:52:43 PM »
185>MME 
totally punchy, in your FACE FOB type sounding rig.  always loved that combo.

yep, I ran ak50/minime for a time and really enjoyed the combo

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 05:14:54 PM »
Crap, I was hoping this wouldn't get back into the 'do they sound the same or not' debate, but I guess the question prompted it.

The electronics aren't the same...they can't be exact since one set of electronics is packaged in an active setup with 15 feet of cables in the mix and the other has nothing between the capsule and the electronics.  So, it's not a stretch to also say that theres a sonic diff.  I definitely hear differences in the 184 samples and the ak40 samples on archive and I thought those same differences existed in the recordings I made when I ran 184s.  Course, I wasn't running 140's to comp, so can't prove anything.

I do wish though that I had a pair of 185's to play around with so I could see if they even a touch more warmth than the ak50's. 

stevetoney

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 05:26:01 PM »
Neumann says "same".  good enough for me.  they have no reason to lie.   They could easily say "the km100/akXX does sound better than the straight KM series due to...???? ", but they dont.  that tells me something.

It could be that Neumann doesn't want to state publicly that they believe that the 140 sound, at double the price, isn't up to the sound that is obtained from the 184 product.  Whatever... I'm not saying that I don't believe Neumann or that Neumann is lying.  I'm just throwing out that maybe what they say in public is tainted by PR considerations.  OTOH, maybe not.  This group has different opinions on this same subject, so it's no stretch to say that Neumann also would be in one or the other of the 'opinion' camps.

FWIW, even though I just bought Harrisons 140s, I like the sound of the 184s better than the 140's, so that's why I was asking if anyone had comped the 185s against the AK50's.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 05:28:13 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 05:59:13 PM »
neumann says the 184s are quieter, less distortion.  which some transcribe as "brighter" as that distortion is typically in the lower registers.  all that noise is what makes the km84 sound soo warm and smooth.

the 184 is the "state of the art" design for this model. 
If you want to add the active cable and its electronics into the mix for comparrison, that is another story.  but w/o those...they are basically the same.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 11:34:37 PM »
> neumann says the 184s are quieter, less distortion.  which some transcribe as "brighter" as that distortion is typically in the lower registers.  all that noise is what makes the km84 sound soo warm and smooth.

Sorry, no. Neumann says the 184s are quieter than the 140s because, well, they are--by some 3 dB, for the ones produced since 2002. But they've never claimed that the 184s have lower distortion than the 140s, because, well, they don't.

What makes the KM 84 sound warm and smooth compared to a KM 140 or a KM 184 is that again, it really is smoother in the entirely objective, measurable sense of its frequency response being less bumpy up top. Neumann consciously moved in a certain direction in the design of the KM 140. That model has the same capsule as the KM 84 as far as the membrane and internal parts go, but it is set in a capsule head arrangement that includes a slightly differently-dimensioned rear sound inlet. This causes an increase of about 1 - 2 dB in sensitivity in the region around 9 kHz. That tweak gives these microphones an attractive "sparkle" under the right circumstances--but there are also circumstances in which the emphasis can be undesirable.

Now that, I have to say, isn't Neumann's fault. They didn't make the laws of the universe--one of which is that no possible tweak or gadget can ever make everything sound better. If that were possible, whatever tweak it is (in this case, a little EQ boost that's achieved acoustically rather than electrically) would, by definition, continue to make even its own results sound better and better and better as you continued to apply it a second, a third, and a 473rd time to the same recording. Since that is obviously absurd, so is the idea that any "feelgood box" or anything other than flat frequency response, low distortion and low noise can ever be inherently euphonic all the time.

What Neumann quite reasonably did--because those dear people had this crazy idea that they wanted their company to exist for a few more years if possible--is gamble on how best to succeed in an audio marketplace which is, how shall I say this diplomatically, largely driven by people who have more disposable income than engineering experience. If you listen to a "comp" and you aren't comparing the recording to the live, original sound, a KM 140 compared with a KM 84 will seem to have higher "resolution" and its sound will definitely "cut through a mix" better and so forth. That's a lot of what sells microphones nowadays, and Neumann decided not to turn their backs on the opportunity.

OK, but finally now to face the original question, though, prepare for the anticlimax: There is no difference in sound between the KM 185 and the KM 150 as a series. Sorry, it's really that simple; no contorted explanations are in order. The KM 185 is 3 dB quieter but you will rarely be fortunate enough to hear that difference because the noise of most recording venues covers it up.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 11:52:30 PM »
> neumann says the 184s are quieter, less distortion.  which some transcribe as "brighter" as that distortion is typically in the lower registers.  all that noise is what makes the km84 sound soo warm and smooth.

Sorry, no. Neumann says the 184s are quieter than the 140s because, well, they are--by some 3 dB, for the ones produced since 2002. But they've never claimed that the 184s have lower distortion than the 140s, because, well, they don't.

What makes the KM 84 sound warm and smooth compared to a KM 140 or a KM 184 is that again, it really is smoother in the entirely objective, measurable sense of its frequency response being less bumpy up top. Neumann consciously moved in a certain direction in the design of the KM 140. That model has the same capsule as the KM 84 as far as the membrane and internal parts go, but it is set in a capsule head arrangement that includes a slightly differently-dimensioned rear sound inlet. This causes an increase of about 1 - 2 dB in sensitivity in the region around 9 kHz. That tweak gives these microphones an attractive "sparkle" under the right circumstances--but there are also circumstances in which the emphasis can be undesirable.

Now that, I have to say, isn't Neumann's fault. They didn't make the laws of the universe--one of which is that no possible tweak or gadget can ever make everything sound better. If that were possible, whatever tweak it is (in this case, a little EQ boost that's achieved acoustically rather than electrically) would, by definition, continue to make even its own results sound better and better and better as you continued to apply it a second, a third, and a 473rd time to the same recording. Since that is obviously absurd, so is the idea that any "feelgood box" or anything other than flat frequency response, low distortion and low noise can ever be inherently euphonic all the time.

What Neumann quite reasonably did--because those dear people had this crazy idea that they wanted their company to exist for a few more years if possible--is gamble on how best to succeed in an audio marketplace which is, how shall I say this diplomatically, largely driven by people who have more disposable income than engineering experience. If you listen to a "comp" and you aren't comparing the recording to the live, original sound, a KM 140 compared with a KM 84 will seem to have higher "resolution" and its sound will definitely "cut through a mix" better and so forth. That's a lot of what sells microphones nowadays, and Neumann decided not to turn their backs on the opportunity.

OK, but finally now to face the original question, though, prepare for the anticlimax: There is no difference in sound between the KM 185 and the KM 150 as a series. Sorry, it's really that simple; no contorted explanations are in order. The KM 185 is 3 dB quieter but you will rarely be fortunate enough to hear that difference because the noise of most recording venues covers it up.

--best regards

Thanks for the great explanation.  So, the main point is that the capsule itself is common between 84, 184, and 140, right?

I gotta ask.  Where did you learn this stuff?  I'm truly amazed.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com