Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Outdoor fest mic config  (Read 2268 times)

Offline tms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Outdoor fest mic config
« on: February 06, 2008, 10:02:54 AM »
I've been running my AT-853 mics as split omni's for recording outdoor bluegrass festivals. With 30" of split and omni's facing forward I've been very happy, but looking to improve.

Any suggestions for another option?  I have card caps for the mics but don't use them b/c they pick up the wind.  The sound at the taping section is very good, just behind the sound booth and the crowd is not very loud.

The faults with the split omni's are that the recordings have a lot of bass, and the t-bar is 30" wide, I'd like to reduce my visual footprint. 

What are you guys using outdoors? 
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Outdoor fest mic config
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 10:08:28 AM »
I've been running my AT-853 mics as split omni's for recording outdoor bluegrass festivals. With 30" of split and omni's facing forward I've been very happy, but looking to improve.

Any suggestions for another option?  I have card caps for the mics but don't use them b/c they pick up the wind.  The sound at the taping section is very good, just behind the sound booth and the crowd is not very loud.

The faults with the split omni's are that the recordings have a lot of bass, and the t-bar is 30" wide, I'd like to reduce my visual footprint. 

hmm..   a jecklin disk?   although that option wouldnt necessarily reduce your visual footprint, it might cut some of the bass that yer lookin' for..      or try the cards A/B or NOS
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline aegert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 10:18:54 AM »

try a baby ball gag or a foam windscreen with a dead rat over it... Will kill all wind noise fer sure.... Use the cards xy

A
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 11:02:17 AM »
What happens if I use omni's in place of a card's in X-Y, ORTF, or NOS?  I'm wondering b/c they actually aren't true omni's, they are a little directional so I'm thinking I could still get some of the benefits of the stereo configuration without losing the wind resistance of the omni's.  X-Y in particular would reduce some of the bass right?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 06:47:35 PM »
Deadrats and spit cards maybe

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 07:45:51 PM »
What happens if I use omni's in place of a card's in X-Y, ORTF, or NOS?  I'm wondering b/c they actually aren't true omni's, they are a little directional so I'm thinking I could still get some of the benefits of the stereo configuration without losing the wind resistance of the omni's.  X-Y in particular would reduce some of the bass right?
Omnis too close together gives you almost no channel separation... sounds like mono.  XY probably not so good, NOS-spacing probably OK.

Somewhere here there is a chart for "Healy method", which is based on some solid physics. Basically, if you have your omnis about 8" apart facing outwards (left and right WRT to stage) it will provide some similarity between your ears.  As you go further apart you want to face somewhat forward.  Go here: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,96672.0.html and look at top of page 2.

I think on the heavy bass, try a roll off in the preamp, or in post.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com