Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SDHC Card Reader / Storage Drive  (Read 2939 times)

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
SDHC Card Reader / Storage Drive
« on: April 05, 2009, 10:19:22 PM »
Any recommendations on a portable drive that reads and transfers files directly from SDHC Cards (or even with a mini usb 2.0 connection)?  I'd like to have something with more space to transfer out from my R44 on location when necessary.  Thanks in advance!
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Re: SDHC Card Reader / Storage Drive
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 10:28:11 PM »
I have an Emprex CD540 reader - it handles SD/SDHC, MicroSD/SDHC, Memory Stick Pro and Duo, XD, MMC Micro, M2, and xD.

When you use SD/SDHC, the card fits inside the reader, you can close the end cap, and it becomes a thumb drive. Transfer speeds are pretty fast too (subject to card speed).

Memory Stick also uses the end of the reader, but I don't know if the cap closes over a Memory Stick or not, since I don't have any Sony gear. Other formats slide into slots on the sides of the reader.

It also has a swiveling guard that will cover the USB connector when you carry the reader in your pocket.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 11:29:53 AM »
Thanks but just to clarify, I'm looking for a portable HDD (or Solid State) that can do transfers from SDHC in the field, not something that just reads the card.  I appreciate the help though!

I've seen some *1 touch* transfer data dumps HD's.  Just looking for the best option.

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 11:40:06 AM »
i've used this one while running a 671 to dump files in the field:

http://www.hyperdrive.com/HyperDrive-SPACE-s/1.htm

it always worked, which was a plus however i found the transfer times to take a while (even though it's advertised as the worlds fastest haha). i haven't used any other similar devices so maybe it is fast compared to the others in the market.

it got good runtimes with the internal battery too.

at least it's a place to start

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 07:08:35 AM »
Thanks but just to clarify, I'm looking for a portable HDD (or Solid State) that can do transfers from SDHC in the field...

Hyperdrive, Nexto and Jobo are industry standard, but you have to throw in at least $130 for a unit:
http://www.tristatecamera.com/lookat.php?refid=279&sku=SANHDS040

Most users agree that it makes no sense spending this much money on backups, when you can buy 4GB cards for the cost of a Big Mac.
Read this thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1023&message=31254425

Unless you're dead set for redundancy and want to protect yourself against theft, just get a bunch of cards and you're good to go...
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 05:33:33 PM »
Thanks but just to clarify, I'm looking for a portable HDD (or Solid State) that can do transfers from SDHC in the field...

Hyperdrive, Nexto and Jobo are industry standard, but you have to throw in at least $130 for a unit:
http://www.tristatecamera.com/lookat.php?refid=279&sku=SANHDS040

Most users agree that it makes no sense spending this much money on backups, when you can buy 4GB cards for the cost of a Big Mac.
Read this thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1023&message=31254425

Unless you're dead set for redundancy and want to protect yourself against theft, just get a bunch of cards and you're good to go...

Yeah I was thinking that might be a better alternative.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 12:30:46 AM »
I have a similar unit, but its older and a little bigger with an internal HD, but does CF, SD, etc... if you are interested let me know and I will take some pix and see what its worth.... I used it once on one trip out of town.... originally bought it here on TS like 2 years ago LOL

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 12:01:47 PM »
I have a similar unit, but its older and a little bigger with an internal HD, but does CF, SD, etc... if you are interested let me know and I will take some pix and see what its worth.... I used it once on one trip out of town.... originally bought it here on TS like 2 years ago LOL

Is it compatible with SDHC, not all SD readers can do SDHC.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 12:27:21 PM »
I considered something like this years ago, for CF cards, and never got one. I agree with Sunjay, just get extra memory cards. How often are you going to be filling up 80 gigs without copying it to a computer?

In the retail section, there's a link to a $18 8 gig kingston SD card. Pick up 3-4 of those and I don't think you'll run out of room for a long time.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline oscoastierob

• Taperssection Member
  • Go tape SLM
    • oscoastierob's facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 10:54:32 AM »
Chris, you should just get a Cowon Q5W, like I showed you at the show last night. It has a usb host drive on it so you could plus plug the r-44 directly in to it and transfer the files over to thr 80 gig hd. And you'd be able to listen to them with it too.

here's the cheapest buy I could find for it on the internet:
http://jetaudio-inc.amazonwebstore.com/B001B1W59G/M/B001B1W59G.htm I had picked mine up from B & H but it doesn't look like they have then in stock anymore.

Here's more info from Cowon on it:
http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/product_Q5W_feature.php

Anyway, good meeting you last night man, if I could grab a copy of the Meathook's (1st band) recording from you and the 1st 2 tracks from the Pangs set it would be most appreciated. I expected to run into problems after pulling my gear out of semi-retirement, but it's always frustrating to lose an entire recording because the batteries crapped out on you. Especially when your workhorse SLA that used to run for 10 hours only lasts 37 minutes. But like I said great meeting you, thanks for the drinks & good time, I'm sure we'll cross paths again and I'll return the favor.

Rob
Peluso CEMC-6 /CK2, CK4, CK21, CK41-> Hydra Silver XLRs-> XTC silver interconnects-> UA-5 BM2p+ mod-> SPDIF-> R4

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 04:31:47 PM »
Chris, you should just get a Cowon Q5W, like I showed you at the show last night. It has a usb host drive on it so you could plus plug the r-44 directly in to it and transfer the files over to thr 80 gig hd. And you'd be able to listen to them with it too.

here's the cheapest buy I could find for it on the internet:
http://jetaudio-inc.amazonwebstore.com/B001B1W59G/M/B001B1W59G.htm I had picked mine up from B & H but it doesn't look like they have then in stock anymore.

Here's more info from Cowon on it:
http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/product_Q5W_feature.php

Anyway, good meeting you last night man, if I could grab a copy of the Meathook's (1st band) recording from you and the 1st 2 tracks from the Pangs set it would be most appreciated. I expected to run into problems after pulling my gear out of semi-retirement, but it's always frustrating to lose an entire recording because the batteries crapped out on you. Especially when your workhorse SLA that used to run for 10 hours only lasts 37 minutes. But like I said great meeting you, thanks for the drinks & good time, I'm sure we'll cross paths again and I'll return the favor.

Rob

Rob good meeting you as well.  No problem, I'm hoping to get the show converted tracked out tonight and will shoot yo a line when I do.

I'm gonna look into that Cowon some more.  Great little gadget.  Wanna weigh the pros and cons of it while I'm sober!  At first look, I really dug it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com