Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie questions: JB3, SP At853's, AD-20...  (Read 4463 times)

Offline violaplayr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Newbie questions: JB3, SP At853's, AD-20...
« on: August 26, 2004, 11:32:20 AM »
Some stupid questions from a newbie...

I already own a Nomad JB3.  I have read a lot of info on here already about the JB3 and recording options with it and people's rigs and whatnot.  I am going to get a stealth rig.  I was planning on getting the Sound Professionals AT853's.  I have seen some debate about the fact that the unmodified AT853Rx's are better than the SP version.  What is the final word on this?  Realize that I'm a complete noob, can you still stealth easily with the AT853Rx's?  Do they terminate in XLR's?  IF you use the AT853Rx's can you still use the SP Battery Box to power them?  Do you have to convert from the XLR on the mics to a mini plug to plug into their Battery Box?

Also, I'm think about getting a Denecke AD-20 for A/D Conversion.  Will this be able to simply plug directly into my JB3?  Will it just go from Decnecke AD-20 Optical out>Optical In on my JB3?  Or do I need some power regulators in front of the JB3?  Will the AD-20 significantly better the sound quality of the rig? 

So what will my rig lineage look like?  Maybe this:

AT853Rx > XLR > Battery Box > Ad-20 > JB3?

Any help is appreciated.  If anyone has a similar rig and can tell me if this makes a nie recording, just let me know. 

Thanks!

Offline violaplayr

• Taperssection Newbie
Newbie Quaestions: JB3, SP At853's, AD-20...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 05:11:53 PM »
Some stupid questions from a newbie...

I already own a Nomad JB3.  I have read a lot of info on here already about the JB3 and recording options with it and people's rigs and whatnot.  I am going to get a stealth rig.  I was planning on getting the Sound Professionals AT853's.  I have seen some debate about the fact that the unmodified AT853Rx's are better than the SP version.  What is the final word on this?  Realize that I'm a complete noob, can you still stealth easily with the AT853Rx's?  Do they terminate in XLR's?  IF you use the AT853Rx's can you still use the SP Battery Box to power them?  Do you have to convert from the XLR on the mics to a mini plug to plug into their Battery Box?

Also, I'm think about getting a Denecke AD-20 for A/D Conversion.  Will this be able to simply plug directly into my JB3?  Will it just go from Decnecke AD-20 Optical out>Optical In on my JB3?  Or do I need some power regulators in front of the JB3?  Will the AD-20 significantly better the sound quality of the rig? 

So what will my rig lineage look like?  Maybe this:

AT853Rx > XLR > Battery Box > Ad-20 > JB3?

Any help is appreciated.  If anyone has a similar rig and can tell me if this makes a nie recording, just let me know. 

Thanks!

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Newbie questions: JB3, SP At853's, AD-20...
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 06:33:27 PM »
I'll answer when I get a sec...

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 11:45:02 PM »
First of all what kind of budget do you have?

Most folks agree that the un-mod AT853's sound better phantom powered rather than the battery box powered Sound Professionals version. If you go with the regular soundpro's you can always mod them for phantom power later on.

If you looking for a really nice small pre-amp, look into a Sound Devices MP2, although it has been discontiued, you can sometimes find them used in the Yard Sale. The new version of the MP2 is the  Shure FP24, or the Sound Devices Mixpre.

An AD20 is a good choice, I run one myself, but am looking to upgrade soon.

EDIT: forgot to answer you questions...

Do they terminate in XLR's?  IF you use the AT853Rx's can you still use the SP Battery Box to power them?  Do you have to convert from the XLR on the mics to a mini plug to plug into their Battery Box?

AT853rx's will terminate to an XLR power adapter. If your using the soundprs version the sp-cmc-4's you'll use the battery box to power them, they terminate to a 1/8" miniplug.

Will this be able to simply plug directly into my JB3?  Will it just go from Decnecke AD-20 Optical out>Optical In on my JB3?  Or do I need some power regulators in front of the JB3?  Will the AD-20 significantly better the sound quality of the rig?

If your using an AD20 you'll need an optical>miniplug to go directly into the JB3 no power regulators needed. An AD20 in front of the AT853's will imporve the sound.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 11:51:17 PM by Zaphod »
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 02:21:38 PM »
thanx zaphod

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 12:11:31 PM »
Sure :)

Offline violaplayr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2004, 01:34:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  My budget is around $500- $600.  I'm now thinking about getting the SP CMC-4 (At853) and getting the optional phantom power modification.  I'll also get a battery box w/ bass rolloff.  This way I have the option of doing
SP CMC-4 > Batt Box > JB3 or in the future (or sooner) get a PS2 & AD20 and go with SP CMC-4 > PS2 > AD20>JB3.

Does this sound like a good thing to do?  I just think this setup affords me both the option of going stealth or being able to setup in the section and get a really nice recording.

Thanks for your help!

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2004, 01:50:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  My budget is around $500- $600.  I'm now thinking about getting the SP CMC-4 (At853) and getting the optional phantom power modification.  I'll also get a battery box w/ bass rolloff.  This way I have the option of doing
SP CMC-4 > Batt Box > JB3 or in the future (or sooner) get a PS2 & AD20 and go with SP CMC-4 > PS2 > AD20>JB3.

Does this sound like a good thing to do?  I just think this setup affords me both the option of going stealth or being able to setup in the section and get a really nice recording.

Thanks for your help!

>>SP CMC-4 > Batt Box > JB3 or in the future (or sooner) get a PS2 & AD20 and go with SP CMC-4 > PS2 > AD20>JB3.

my advise is skip batt box, ps2 and the ad20 and get yourself a preamp w/phantom.  you can find great little pres for moderate prices, and you can easily stealth record with them.  few come to mind... Sound Devices MP-2, Sound Devices Mix-Pre, Beyerdynamic MV-100, Sonosax SX-M2 (or is it SM-X2).  any one of these pre behind the AT853 will sound superior to the batt/box and the PS-2/AD20 combo, imho.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline violaplayr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2004, 01:59:54 PM »
Marc-
Thanks for the advice.  I noticed a particular online dealer (won't name names) has a used MP-2 for $495.  IS this a good deal or should I wait for something cheaper?  Also, what about the A/D converter?  The MP-2 doesn't have A/D conversion, so would I still need an AD20?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 02:03:15 PM by violaplayr »

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2004, 02:12:09 PM »
Marc-
Thanks for the advice.  I noticed a particular online dealer (won't name names) has a used MP-2 for $495.  IS this a good deal or should I wait for something cheaper?  Also, what about the A/D converter?  The MP-2 doesn't have A/D conversion, so would I still need an AD20?

at853>mp2!! that's Schwillster's setup i think. nice little setup...stealth or open.

i don't know too much about the AD20. has anyone paired it with the mp2?

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2004, 04:38:46 PM »
The AD-20 has a minimum gain of 17dB, so it's not a good idea to put it behind a pre-amp.

Offline violaplayr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2004, 02:04:45 AM »
Would this work?:

AT853 (modded to take phantom power)> Denecke PS2 > JB3

I've read various places that it's more important to have a preamp and phantom power than it is to have an external A/D converter, as far as sound quality goes.   So would this setup work?  It seems fairly cheap and has what I need (stealthiness).  It seems like everytime I see a PS2 in a rig I also see a DA20.  IS the DA20 absolutely necessary with this setup?

Thanks! 

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2004, 01:00:02 PM »
The AD-20 has a minimum gain of 17dB, so it's not a good idea to put it behind a pre-amp.

I think he was wondering if anyone has done a sound comparison between the two, right marc?

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2004, 01:03:27 PM »
Would this work?:

AT853 (modded to take phantom power)> Denecke PS2 > JB3

I've read various places that it's more important to have a preamp and phantom power than it is to have an external A/D converter, as far as sound quality goes.   So would this setup work?  It seems fairly cheap and has what I need (stealthiness).  It seems like everytime I see a PS2 in a rig I also see a DA20.  IS the DA20 absolutely necessary with this setup?

Thanks! 

That setup can work, however it doesn't offer any gain. You might have to use line transformers between the PS2 and the JB3 to get high enough levels, depending on what you are recording. Also this is based on using the line in on the JB3 not the mic in, does it have a mic in? But if you are recording LOUD rock shows to the line in with that setup it would probably work ok, line transformers will give it the extra boost.

I'm not sure what a DA20 is, A/D?

Offline violaplayr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2004, 02:43:43 PM »
I'm sorry, I meant to say AD20, not DA20.  So, you need the AD20 for gain?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com