Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help a newbie to fix a Macca tape?  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Tootai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Help a newbie to fix a Macca tape?
« on: October 20, 2004, 03:14:06 PM »
Hiya,

I'm a total newbie when it comes to all this, so i'd like to ask you experts about this recording from Paul McCartney's 04 Summer Tour. This is the only available recording from Helsinki, and for personal reasons, i'd love to get a cleaned up copy of this. Whoever recorded it, didn't have too good equipment, as the bassdrum distorts the sound everytime it hits. I tried hard limiting these bass parts manually, and it made it somewhat better, any idea how I could automatize this procedure and how I could improve the sound? I have GoldEdit, CoolEdit Pro and SoundForge.

A sample flac of this tape is available at http://personal.inet.fi/koti/tootai/Track02.flac

The sound isn't too bad, the only thing causing a problem is the bass drum. The acoustic numbers are great! I hope you pros can help a poor newbie out!

Tootai

Offline Tootai

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Help a newbie to fix a Macca tape?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 09:26:05 PM »
Gee thanks guys, what a helpful forum. Not a single reply.

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
Re: Help a newbie to fix a Macca tape?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 02:58:23 PM »

You are unlikely going to be able to get rid of the distortion since it is on the original recording.  There is a declipping function in SoundForge (I think) which could be tried, but I've never done it myself. Is there an equalizer menu in one of your programs to reduce the mix of bass?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com