Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: first setup question  (Read 10540 times)

Offline atxwolfattack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: first setup question
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 04:08:03 PM »
dorrcoq, i ment the iRiver, i know that i wont get bad stuff from Chris, but hard drive mp3 players have a tendency to die.

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 04:51:39 PM »
i actually just found a Nomad Jukebox 3 on craigslist in town for 50 bucks, seems like i should just get this even know its kind of big. What do you think the best way to stealth with this thing would be? shuv it down my pants? haha.

Offline shruggy1987

• Taperssection Member
  • Team Ithaca
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 04:58:25 PM »
if you can, i would probably wear a fanny pack or so and stick it in there, but if thats not stealth enough, then shoving it down your pants is an option.

i actually just found a Nomad Jukebox 3 on craigslist in town for 50 bucks, seems like i should just get this even know its kind of big. What do you think the best way to stealth with this thing would be? shuv it down my pants? haha.
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 (coax out) > M-Audio Microtrack
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 > MacBook Pro

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007, 05:51:24 PM »
do those JB3 really overheat a bunch and shut down... i am kinda scared, haha.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007, 06:52:47 PM »
Thanks a bunch Chanher, I have one more quick question. On the ebay auction for the preamp and mic, it says...

"THREE LEVELS OF GAIN SETTINGS +30 +10,  0db"

So basically, say that my levels are looking too low, i would move the gain up to the +10 notch, if that shoots the levels too much so it peaks over the threshold, then i just turn the levels down on the iRiver?

I guess i will be able to mess around with it, hopefully i don't get a dud on ebay.....

Hi the st-9000 has three gain settings +30 +10 and 0 db + it has an output level control my st-9100 has a true gain control but less overall gain of 20db max it really depends on what your trying to do. If your name is Christopher I have not sent your preamp yet and you can upgrade to the 9100 if you wish.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 07:20:31 PM »
Chris, this is josh, i emailed you a few times yesterday and am about to get the st-9000 setup.

so basically, with the st-9000, you select one of the 3 gain settings, and then compensate with the output level control? I am kind of confused how this really is different then the 9100 with true gain control.

so what would you do if +10 was too little gain, and +30 was too much gain? Would you select +30 and then turn the output level control down until it is not peaking over the threshold?

thanks!

Josh

nameloc01

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2007, 07:29:15 PM »
i was just at "guitar center" tonight, they have the Sony mz-m100 hi-md combo packs on sale for 199.99.that is a very good deal.the pack includes the illuminated diplay md deck(aluminum casing), a case,sony t-mic ( i would not use this to record shows) the good battery,dry-battery dock,(1) 1 gb blank hi-md disc,charger and the sonicstage software,plus usb cable.
 for the money,if you're not going to get the r-09, this is the way to go.a decent set of mics and you will easily be getting some great recordings.
you should check it out

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 07:46:18 PM »
Chris, this is josh, i emailed you a few times yesterday and am about to get the st-9000 setup.

so basically, with the st-9000, you select one of the 3 gain settings, and then compensate with the output level control? I am kind of confused how this really is different then the 9100 with true gain control.

so what would you do if +10 was too little gain, and +30 was too much gain? Would you select +30 and then turn the output level control down until it is not peaking over the threshold?

thanks!

Josh

Hey Josh the st-9000 is a good preamp for most things but your stuck with my gain settings they will work for most things +30 is for quiet acoustic stuff +10 is for rock 0 db if for really loud shows. The st-9100 is a completely different preamp design it uses a true gain control at the input stage. So you have from 00- db or all the way off to +20 db this is a huge gain range. And its handy to have a preamp with a good range but for most people the 9000 is a good preamp for stealth recording. The 9100 has more bottom end.

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2007, 07:55:41 PM »

thanks!

Josh

Hey Josh the st-9000 is a good preamp for most things but your stuck with my gain settings they will work for most things +30 is for quiet acoustic stuff +10 is for rock 0 db if for really loud shows. The st-9100 is a completely different preamp design it uses a true gain control at the input stage. So you have from 00- db or all the way off to +20 db this is a huge gain range. And its handy to have a preamp with a good range but for most people the 9000 is a good preamp for stealth recording. The 9100 has more bottom end.

But Chris, was i correct about how the "output level control"? How does that work. Does this sentence describe what you would do correctly?

"so what would you do if +10 was too little gain, and +30 was too much gain? Would you select +30 and then turn the output level control down until it is not peaking over the threshold?"

dorrcoq

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2007, 10:11:39 PM »
Or you can use +10 and boost further in post with software if necessary

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007, 11:17:52 PM »

thanks!

Josh

But Chris, was i correct about how the "output level control"? How does that work. Does this sentence describe what you would do correctly?

"so what would you do if +10 was too little gain, and +30 was too much gain? Would you select +30 and then turn the output level control down until it is not peaking over the threshold?"

The level knob is output level not input gain. thats the difference between the st-9000 and the st-9100.

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2007, 11:43:25 PM »
i guess i am just stupid or something, haha. So what exactly is the funtion of the output level nob on the 9100? i am just trying to figure out it's relation to gain on the preamp.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2007, 11:04:56 AM »
i guess i am just stupid or something, haha. So what exactly is the funtion of the output level nob on the 9100? i am just trying to figure out it's relation to gain on the preamp.

Your not stupid! the knob on the st-9100 is a gain knob it does not have switches like the st-9000. It has a gain control that is continuously variable between 00-db or all the way off to +20 db of gain. You Can boost or attenuate depending on your situation, in a very loud concert you might need to attenuate. In a more quiet show you might need to boost. My preamp allows you to do that. It also allows for connection to a video camera as a interface between a mic and a video camera the 9100 can act as a attenuator and cut the signal to avoid AGC (automatic gain control) from kicking in. My 9100 also has a clip light indicator so you can see if your getting close to distortion.

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2007, 12:18:30 PM »
opps i ment the output level nob on the 9000, sorry. What is the relation between the output level nob on the 9000 to gain.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2007, 01:10:22 PM »
opps i ment the output level nob on the 9000, sorry. What is the relation between the output level nob on the 9000 to gain.

The output knob on the 9000 works like this say you have set your three level gain switch on the +10 db setting on the 9000 preamp. But at that setting your still a little hot for your recorders input or you need to quickly turn down because the next band in the show you have been taping is a lot louder you can reach for this output level control instead of having to find the level control on your recorder in the dark. So its just a attenuation for the Output of the preamp. It does not effect the input gain what so ever.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com