Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 - Feedback for HD Video  (Read 78157 times)

Online guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 - Feedback for HD Video
« Reply #210 on: July 31, 2012, 05:49:16 PM »
I'll possibly have a seat with a table.

I've set my videocam down on a table and thought I was golden...until the guy sitting a few seats down from me decided the table was now his drum.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade....but you know what they say about the best layed plans...
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #211 on: July 31, 2012, 06:00:54 PM »
Yeah, there's ALWAYS someone in front who will lean to the side, even though they have a clear view, and block your camera view

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #212 on: August 08, 2012, 11:29:25 PM »
My previous P&S camera was 4MP, slow and basically outdated. After scanning this thread I decided to go for a ZS8. Seems to be the new big brother to the ZS3. I'm more interested in using this as a P&S camera, but good video is a big plus. I'll be putting it through the paces for both still and video this weekend. I don't care about audio, I have an open rig for that, I'm hoping to make a montage of a fest over a couple of songs with pics and video overlayed. I'll report back.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Ringside

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #213 on: October 02, 2012, 11:50:55 AM »
Is this model still a good option nowadays? I'm toying with the idea of getting a camcorder but a digital camera does have some benefits it must be said.

Also, how do these perform in low light? I mainly frequent bars and small clubs and have noticed more and more of them seem to be somewhat dimly lit.

Thanks!

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #214 on: October 03, 2012, 04:52:15 AM »
I find that, if anything, the "intelligent auto" setting on the ZS3 tends to over-expose some areas.

This video is from an averagely lit small venue, the two static cameras are ZS3s set to intelligent auto. Any zooming or panning was done in post and so has taken a toll on the picture quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB3mym7cZDo

I'm very happy with low-light performance - just need to really work on the manual settings to avoid the over-exposure...
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Online guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #215 on: October 03, 2012, 09:33:17 AM »
I find that, if anything, the "intelligent auto" setting on the ZS3 tends to over-expose some areas.

This video is from an averagely lit small venue, the two static cameras are ZS3s set to intelligent auto. Any zooming or panning was done in post and so has taken a toll on the picture quality:

I'm very happy with low-light performance - just need to really work on the manual settings to avoid the over-exposure...

I got rid of my ZS3 a while back, but I remember that it was really easy to switch over to manual exposure and knock it down a few notches - which was something I always did when using it to shoot concert footage except for maybe when I was in low-lit clubs.

It might be the top button of the four on the back that go around in a circle around the center menu button.  But you might have to use a different setting other than intelligent auto for that option to work.  I just can't remember now.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline indiie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #216 on: October 03, 2012, 10:27:06 AM »

I got rid of my ZS3 a while back, but I remember that it was really easy to switch over to manual exposure and knock it down a few notches - which was something I always did when using it to shoot concert footage except for maybe when I was in low-lit clubs.

It might be the top button of the four on the back that go around in a circle around the center menu button.  But you might have to use a different setting other than intelligent auto for that option to work.  I just can't remember now.

Yeah it is top button above the menu button on the back. I usually use a scene mode to record in.. not sure if there's too much difference between a lot of them I usually go for night mode. Just checked and you can adjust the exposure in that mode.

Thanks for pointing that out because I have had the same issue in the past and didn't think of it. It also prompted me to play with manual exposure on my TZ10 and I've realised now I can achieve a much wider range of effects than I thought I'd been restricted too. May actually be able to get some nice night sky shots now! We just had a big night of fireworks too so have some plans to capture some longer exposure shots of those in future.

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #217 on: October 03, 2012, 02:55:44 PM »
Thanks guys - will definitely experiment with the scene modes and exposure next time I'm out.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com