Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taper’s opinion requested regarding iPad v. Imac  (Read 2576 times)

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Taper’s opinion requested regarding iPad v. Imac
« on: October 14, 2022, 07:13:37 PM »
So I have a couple gift cards for apple. Which would you buy a max laptop or an iPad Pro? Potentially for streaming.

I have my windows tower I built so it’s for mobility and best bang for the buck on the gift cards.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Taper’s opinion requested regarding iPad v. Imac
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 01:59:50 PM »
So I have a couple gift cards for apple. Which would you buy a max laptop or an iPad Pro? Potentially for streaming.

I have my windows tower I built so it’s for mobility and best bang for the buck on the gift cards.
You want to stream *from* the built in camera on the iPad, or the FaceTime cam on the laptop?
Or would you be connecting a Magewell or other capture device?
I have not researched the pro tablets, but can't imagine them being more convenient than a laptop for adding devices via USB.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1105735-REG/magewell_xi_100_d_usb_hdmi_one_hd_hdmi_usb.html
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 03:24:31 PM »
As someone who has a maxed out MacBook Pro M1 Max and an iPad Pro. I am very pleased with the M1 Max Macbook Pro. Thing is disgusting. Fastest computer I've ever had. My laptop was 12 years old and this thing processes everything very quick. I guess it depends on what you want to do as well. If for streaming you mean video on hulu, Netflix etc, the ipad Pro is all you need. But if you are wanting to do other higher processing, a max macbook is the way to go. Still so much you can't do on an ipad.
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 06:08:32 PM »
I do live streams from shows, been a few years but always like the option to do that.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 10:11:17 AM »
The MacBook Pro M1 Max is the best made tool I've seen in years. If you can afford it, get one of those before they make some bad computers again.

They are, as they say, wicked expensive, though.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/G14X2LL/A/refurbished-16-inch-macbook-pro-apple-m1-max-chip-with-10%E2%80%91core-cpu-and-32%E2%80%91core-gpu-space-gray?afid=p238%7Cwp3rBW4f-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_78340306044656_&cid=aos-us-kwbi-pla-pla-refurb-slid--product-G14X2LL/A
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 06:24:52 PM »

You want to stream *from* the built in camera on the iPad, or the FaceTime cam on the laptop?
Or would you be connecting a Magewell or other capture device?
I have not researched the pro tablets, but can't imagine them being more convenient than a laptop for adding devices via USB.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1105735-REG/magewell_xi_100_d_usb_hdmi_one_hd_hdmi_usb.html

Sorry for the delayed response, been busy. Was thinking of attaching my audio output from my telefunkens/SD722 to stream. Wasn’t really considering using either the iPad or MacBooks internal stuff.

I used to stream using an audio input into the iPhone years ago when my laptops had trouble. But its been a couple years since doing it.

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 06:25:28 PM »
As someone who has a maxed out MacBook Pro M1 Max and an iPad Pro. I am very pleased with the M1 Max Macbook Pro. Thing is disgusting. Fastest computer I've ever had. My laptop was 12 years old and this thing processes everything very quick. I guess it depends on what you want to do as well. If for streaming you mean video on hulu, Netflix etc, the ipad Pro is all you need. But if you are wanting to do other higher processing, a max macbook is the way to go. Still so much you can't do on an ipad.

Thanks for the review

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2022, 02:02:08 AM »
Sorry for the delayed response, been busy. Was thinking of attaching my audio output from my telefunkens/SD722 to stream. Wasn’t really considering using either the iPad or MacBooks internal stuff.

I used to stream using an audio input into the iPhone years ago when my laptops had trouble. But its been a couple years since doing it.

audio stream only should be easy enough for any modern hardware...
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2022, 10:06:48 AM »
The MacBook Pro M1 Max

They are, as they say, wicked expensive, though.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/G14X2LL/A/refurbished-16-inch-macbook-pro-apple-m1-max-chip-with-10%E2%80%91core-cpu-and-32%E2%80%91core-gpu-space-gray?afid=p238%7Cwp3rBW4f-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_78340306044656_&cid=aos-us-kwbi-pla-pla-refurb-slid--product-G14X2LL/A

Yikes!!  $4,869 for a refurb.  Probably worth it though.

Somewhat related to the matter at hand ... I have been grappling with the decision of switching to a Mac for my video editing.  But I've been editing on a PC for the last 20 years, know the software (Vegas Pro) like the back of my hand, produce nice results, and am very comfortable with it.  Not to mention, I've heard the learning curve for Final Cut Pro (Mac video editing software) is pretty high.  BUT ... one of the most respected video editors I know - who still provides a ton of help to people at a Vegas Pro forum - switched to a Mac (and Final Cut Pro) several years ago and said his only regret is that he didn't do it sooner.  So making the switch is still really tempting.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com