Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Completely green, and rig advice needed!  (Read 8949 times)

Offline rockymtnryan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Completely green, and rig advice needed!
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2010, 05:11:40 PM »
How do you connect your Littlebox to the PCM M10?  I assume you are using the 3.5 mm input on the M10, but what type of output was built on the Naiant?  The same or do you use some sort of converter?

The Littlebox can be ordered with a ton of options. You can get it with a 1/8 output to run a 1/8 to 1/8 cable to an M10. Instead of that I ordered mine with RCA outs and run a stereo RCA to 1/8 cable to my M10. I ordered it that way because an RCA connection is more secure than a 1/8, so I only have 1 1/8 plug to worry about. You could also get it with dual XLR outs if you thought you might need then in the future and use a XLR to 1/8 adapter to the M10. You probably could even get it with both XLR outs and a 1/8 out. You'd have to ask Jon at Naiant.

There are so many different connector options that I'm a little confused...
XLR, Mini XLR, TRS, 3.5mm, 1/8, 1/4, RCA

How are XLR and TRS different?  Are they both balanced?
Do the 3.5, 1/8, 1/4, rca all maintain stereo from the LB? Are they all balanced?

Is one better than the other when you're talking about all analog connectors? Basically I'm confused since the Naiant website lists "3.5mm TRS minijack" and "mini XLR" as output options.  Aren't those the same?

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 05:15:27 PM by rockymtnryan »
AKG CK61-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II
AKG CK63-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2010, 07:35:40 PM »
There are so many different connector options that I'm a little confused...
XLR, Mini XLR, TRS, 3.5mm, 1/8, 1/4, RCA

How are XLR and TRS different?  Are they both balanced?
Do the 3.5, 1/8, 1/4, rca all maintain stereo from the LB? Are they all balanced?

Is one better than the other when you're talking about all analog connectors? Basically I'm confused since the Naiant website lists "3.5mm TRS minijack" and "mini XLR" as output options.  Aren't those the same?

Of course they all maintain stereo.

XLR,  Mini-XLR, & 1/4 TRS are balanced and the others are not (I think). But I really don't care much about balanced. I may be in the minority, but I don't think it usually matters much if you aren't doing long cable runs. However balanced is said to be better rejecting interference from cell phones, etc.

Locking connectors like XLR & Mini-XLR are less prone to introducing problems in the signal due to a bad connection, but I've never had many problems with 1/8 plugs (I do clean them and the jacks they fit into with isopropyl alcohol occasionally.

3.5mm TRS minijack and mini XLR are not the same. A quick Google search will show the difference. You really should always do a Google search (and a search of this site if you can deal with it) before asking questions here. That way you'll get answers to some of the more basic ones and you won't have to ask a ton of questions in one post. Members here will appreciate it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 06:39:26 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline rockymtnryan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 08:37:09 PM »
Thank you for the clarification, it is very much appreciated, and for being understanding to my ignorance.  I have really learned a lot in the last few weeks from the folks on this board, and everyone's knowledge and passion for taping is inspiring.

Thanks again!
AKG CK61-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II
AKG CK63-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com