Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: lets pretend its the late 80's for a sec  (Read 6650 times)

Offline itook2much

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
Re: lets pretend its the late 80's for a sec
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 09:36:24 PM »
but hey, it just makes stealthing easier because of age.

Don't count on that, young buck.  A search on the way in isn't for recording equipment, it's for contraband such as booze & weapons...which they'll more likely expect from the younger end of the crowd.

For standing in the same spot with an aching neck for hours, well, you may have the advantage there. :)
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline shhhshhh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 01:22:26 AM »
but hey, it just makes stealthing easier because of age.

Don't count on that, young buck.  A search on the way in isn't for recording equipment, it's for contraband such as booze & weapons...which they'll more likely expect from the younger end of the crowd.

For standing in the same spot with an aching neck for hours, well, you may have the advantage there. :)

ahh, very true. but it seems like every show i go to i either get the security guy who hates his job or they just dont care. at the shoreline amphitheater, me and a friend could have walked in with a laptop. no pat downs, no nothing. i know that'll most likely be different at a place like the san jose event center, but im not expecting any ridiculously hard. i can probably hide a recorder in my shoe with no prob.

nah, aching necks are no big deal, its the aching feet!  ;D

stevetoney

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 08:16:58 PM »

Me hates the full bladder!

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 09:38:27 PM »
Back in the 80's . . .  man, I had some really big hair.  :yack:
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline shhhshhh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 10:22:46 PM »

didn't everybody? :lol:

Offline willyp523

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 06:34:02 PM »

Back in the 80's...I had *some* hair  ;)
Peluso cemc6 ck4/ck21/ck41...Line Audio CM3

Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70D, Sound Devices MixPre 6

Panasonic Lumix ZS3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/willyp523

https://www.youtube.com/user/willyp523/videos

wklitz

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 01:51:20 AM »

ahh, very true. but it seems like every show i go to i either get the security guy who hates his job or they just dont care. at the shoreline amphitheater, me and a friend could have walked in with a laptop. no pat downs, no nothing. i know that'll most likely be different at a place like the san jose event center, but im not expecting any ridiculously hard. i can probably hide a recorder in my shoe with no prob.

I went to Shoreline for the Eagles in 1994 with My Sony TCD-D10PROII wrapped in a blanket.  Security asked me to shake out the blanket to make sure I wasn't hiding anything inside.  I pulled the D10 out and was about to turn around when the guy was like, "Is That a TV? you're allowed to bring that in."

Offline shhhshhh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 04:59:14 PM »

I went to Shoreline for the Eagles in 1994 with My Sony TCD-D10PROII wrapped in a blanket.  Security asked me to shake out the blanket to make sure I wasn't hiding anything inside.  I pulled the D10 out and was about to turn around when the guy was like, "Is That a TV? you're allowed to bring that in."

a TV? wow, thats just insane. it looks nothing like one. :lol:
i knew security there was pretty bad, but i didn't know it was that bad!

alright, so an update here. i received the MD recorder from Will a few days ago and i decided to take it to a local show to test it out. aside from recording in LP4 mode (ouch, quality took a hit there) and poor microphone placement, it came out pretty decent. here's a sample of one of the bands i recorded:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rhbn1i

the place also had horrible acoustics, so that had to be taken into account as well. the only thing i have to complain about it is poor stereo separation which i blame on mic placement. the levels were also kind of low because i was afraid of getting tons of distortion, but now i realize i probably could have had them a bit higher (because when they were, it sounded much better).

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 06:32:26 PM »
A tip of the hat to Will!  Nice to see such kindness still exists...T for ya', Will!

And Teruist: glad your venture into the taperssection is turning out well!

Roving Sign

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 06:58:14 PM »
aside from recording in LP4 mode (ouch, quality took a hit there) and poor microphone placement, it came out pretty decent...the only thing i have to complain about it is poor stereo separation which i blame on mic placement.

Might have as much to do with the LP4 Mode's joint-stereo coding...

http://www.minidisc.org/mdlpfaq.html#_q70

Offline shhhshhh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 08:38:02 PM »
aside from recording in LP4 mode (ouch, quality took a hit there) and poor microphone placement, it came out pretty decent...the only thing i have to complain about it is poor stereo separation which i blame on mic placement.

Might have as much to do with the LP4 Mode's joint-stereo coding...

http://www.minidisc.org/mdlpfaq.html#_q70

even more reason not to use LP4 ever again. im using LP2 now and it has much better sound. SP is cutting it close for me because i usually record shows with lots of bands and ive already despised carrying more than 2 minidiscs with me everywhere. i thought LP4 would be nice because of the huge amount of data that can be crammed onto one MD, but it was too much of a quality sacrifice. LP2 is definitely the way to go for what i want to use it for.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com