Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for a good monopod, fairly inexpensive  (Read 2990 times)

Offline maidencolorado

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Who farted?
Looking for a good monopod, fairly inexpensive
« on: December 10, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
I'm in the market for a monopod as I'm starting to film more bands, however, the shows are mostly in clubs that won't allow a tripod (monopod is fine).  Economy as it is and the fact that my job isn't the most stable, I'm not looking to drop a ton of money into it, but I don't want something made of tinker toys either. 

The main club I hit only has about a 2 foot rise to the stage from the floor, I usually film from beside the soundboard, which is about 3 feet higher than the stage.

Any suggestions (or if anyone happens to have one they are looking to unload) would be smiled upon.  Thanks!

Offline gearscout

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Looking for a good monopod, fairly inexpensive
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 06:13:24 AM »
I've owned a variation of this for years.  Be sure to check out the head that is listed below here.  Total cost is less than $100.

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-680B-Monopod-4-SCTN-Replaces/dp/B00009R6GE

Offline maidencolorado

• Taperssection Regular
  • Who farted?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 07:39:29 AM »
Thanks for the tip, I'm a bit concerned about the height of that one (looks like 60"),as I'm 6'4", so I'm looking at the 682, which is 67" and gives is also self standing for the times I can set it up as a tripod.  It is more money, but still inside my budget ($150 or so), even with the head.

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-682B-Self-Standing-Monopod/dp/B0009PSF9O/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1228998500&sr=1-15

Haven't pulled the trigger, so if anyone else has any other suggestions, they're more than welcome

Offline jkmb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 04:57:25 PM »
I have one of these collecting dust as I use a tripod as a monopod (with 2 legs lifted) these days. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/325238-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_559B_559B_Video_Monopod.html#includes

The swivel base is actually really nice.  63”  The quick release is also handy. 

PM me if you are interested.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 02:28:00 AM by jkmb »

stevetoney

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 05:50:27 PM »
...as I use a tripod as a monopod these days. 

That was kinda my thought...just use a normal tripod as a monopod...then you still have the head attachment for smooth pans and such.

Offline maidencolorado

• Taperssection Regular
  • Who farted?
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 04:07:23 PM »
...as I use a tripod as a monopod these days. 

That was kinda my thought...just use a normal tripod as a monopod...then you still have the head attachment for smooth pans and such.

Thought about that as well, but my tripod didn't make it home from the last show I hit.  Got a cheap(ish) monopod that can double as a walking stick for when I'm out on hikes.  The wife told Santa that I'm in the market for a good tripod to replace the one that got left behind, so looks like I'm square for now (I'll give the tripod as a monopod a go, best of both worlds).

Thanks again for the insight and help, much appreciated.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 06:43:18 PM »
Here was a previous thread I started the other year, end of the 2nd page.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,94951.0.html

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 08:03:43 PM »
I've been using a Manfrotto 3245 for several years and can recommend it as a workhorse piece.  One of the neat things is it has a grip at the top that allows release of the pole, so you can adjust the height with a brief pull on the release.  That makes adjustments in the field very easy as you work.

This model has been replaced by the 334B and comes in at just under $100 at B&H.. I'd recommend a ball head, I use the Manfrotto 486RC2.  This stuff will keep you in good company for many fine shoots.

Best,

John Hartney

I've also used this as support for a Sony pcm D1 with good results...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 08:05:14 PM by Red Boink »

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 08:06:42 AM »
My wife surprised me with a Velbon Neo Pod 6 on Christmas morning.  It is right at $100.  So far I'm impressed by the unit.  The few reviews I can find are positive.  It feels like a nice sturdy unit.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com