Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgrading 14+ year old rig  (Read 2679 times)

Offline tylendel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Upgrading 14+ year old rig
« on: March 18, 2019, 11:40:42 PM »
Greetings-

I know there are a few other threads here about looking to upgrade rigs or replace certain parts, but I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed and not sure quite where to start.

I got into taping around 2002-2003 for the purpose of mostly stealthing bands that weren't openly taper friendly, so my current rig is SP-CMC-2s (AT831s) > SP-SPSB-6 battery box > M-Audio Microtrack 24/96 (16bit/44.1k).  The mics and battery box were bought around 2003 and the Microtrack is from 2005 (upgraded from minidisc).  I didn't have the opportunity to tape much since about 2008, so upgrading didn't seem worthwhile, but I just did a big trip taping multiple shows and ye old Microtrack failed on me a couple times.  The last show it was rolling along fine and mysteriously stopped recording around 2 songs from the end of the set and wouldn't let me save or start recording again.  It felt like it may have overheated, or the flash memory failed or got corrupted, but after 14 years I think it's mainly just outlived its natural Microtrack life.  I am also now predominantly taping bands that are taper friendly, so getting better mics that don't have to be able to hide on my glasses would be a plus as well.  (I do have a mic stand now, but that could use upgraded to something much more sturdy too...)

Most of the shows I tape these days are acoustic, rock, or loud instrumental, in smaller venues (~200-1000 people), and getting above or blocking out as many loud drunk people in the crowd is always appreciated.  I really like the unidirectional aspect of the AT831s, they've been dependable for me over the years even in venues that aren't really suited to such small mics.  So I'm thinking a higher end cardioid mic would be up my alley, but I'm pretty much in the dark on what I might need to power better mics.

I also haven't followed the newer solid state recorders that are out there now, but the main issues I've had with the Microtrack are lack of battery life and how the battery failures let it decide to do whatever it wants to a recording, so I would love something with a dependable battery and plenty of recording time.  It would also be handy to be able to listen to a recording as it records, which the Microtrack doesn't do.  I recently heard a great live recording done with a Zoom H6 and I like the features it has, but I'm not sure if that's overkill for what I might need it for or if it is as dependable as I am seeking.

Any advice would be appreciated!  Despite doing this for fun for years, I still feel like a novice.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: Upgrading 14+ year old rig
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 11:46:58 PM »
Open taping, stealth or both?  Budget?  If you are happy with mics then its just a new recorder but if you are looking to upgrade all then back to question 1.

I think there is a pair of Schoeps in yard sale (no affiliation) if you want to go that route on the top end but lots of options based on what your needs are.

Offline tylendel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 11:49:59 PM »
Mostly open taping now, I would probably just keep my current mics if I had to stealth something down the line.

Budget is pretty open, but in the $1k range for a whole rig I think would be what I am shooting for.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 12:19:18 AM »
Might make sense to look at used recorder i.e.Sony M-10, Tascam DR-2D (my preference), R-05 or a new R-07 that will work with current rig for stealth and new mics / pre-amp for open taping.  I will leave those recommendations to others since I just stealth.   

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 04:08:16 AM »
any of daspy's recorder recs crush the microtrack in usability, noise floor, battery life, reliability.

id start there, get a few successful recordings under your belt and then figure out if you want to spend more on caps. ATs are pretty versatile so you could get yourself the subcards that are popular

if you want to go full tilt, nowadays schoeps rigs are more affordable thanks to strong dollar and more affordable active powering options. you can find a pair of caps for under $1000 and $500-$700 for active powering options like KC5+IPA, n-box, or used tinyboxes that come up now and again, etc
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 04:10:04 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 06:42:44 PM »
For a little over 1k you can grab a used pair of MBHO 440 fixed cards, a pair of Gak 15’ or longer XLRs, a used P48 deck, like marantz 661, Fostex fr2le, or Tascam D100, (pick up an Oade or Busman modded deck, it’s worth it sonically), Mics $500, cables $60, p48 deck $250, and almost enough left over for a used m10, Tascam dr2d, or a Roland r07 for use with your 😈 mics.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:47:45 PM by MakersMarc »
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com