Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Got mics and recorder need preamp help  (Read 5683 times)

Offline drfunkenstein2k

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Got mics and recorder need preamp help
« on: November 24, 2020, 03:14:22 AM »
Ok this is what i have so far

Berliner CM-33 (Pair) > No preamp > Zoom H4n recorder.

i want to get a preamp with phantom power for the mics as the Zoom preamp is not good.

I checked out CA-9200 from church audio but they dont have phantom power
Naint  is out of the preamp game..... :(
other preamps are crazy expensive ...

what can i do?
please and thank you!

Offline pillowman

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.openingtime.lima-city.de
Re: Got mics and recorder need preamp help
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 03:45:23 AM »
just chekc this topic here:

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=192513.0

pillowman
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 03:53:21 AM by pillowman »
RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104
BBox's: Denecke PS-2 / SP-SPSB-9 / SP-SPSB-10 / SP-SPSB-20 / Soundman A3

trading page: www.openingtime.lima-city.de

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 06:47:19 AM »
If you really want to keep your Zoom, but want a portable, bulletproof preamp with gobs of very clean gain, you will not do any better than a Sound Devices Mixpre AKA Shure FP-24.  I own one as you can see in my signature, and I am never selling it.  These pop up on the YS here from time to time.  This one looks to still be for sale, and at a crazy low price.

If that doesn't work out, you can find these on eBay here and there, but be wary of condition and don't pay more than $300-$350.

The other way to solve your problem is to simply replace your H4n with a better recorder which has much higher-quality built-in preamps.  Tascam DR-100 mkIII is what you should get.

As much as I love my FP-24, if I was in your situation I would definitely replace the H4n with the DR-100.  Besides better preamps, you are gaining better ADC and the ability to record a pair of safety tracks at lower volume so you don't need to run limiters if levels go too hot.  It's all-around a much better recorder, and you won't need any additional cables or need to carry another box, extra batteries, etc.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 07:47:30 AM »
i second the dr100 mkiii

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline drfunkenstein2k

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 09:16:53 AM »
i replied to the Shure Fp24 but its over a year old....
i think the zoom is just fine for recording, just need a preamp to get that sound

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 09:36:11 AM »
If I hadn't recently parted with mine I'd have suggested a UA-5. They're the old stand by and nothing special but get the job done.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 05:35:56 PM »
Very similar to the UA5 is the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. You can buy it around 50 bucks on ebay. It works as a stand alone preamp with P48. You need a 9V battery to power it (500mA). You can also use it as an external sound card for a PC. I used M-Audio with Nak300 and Studio Project C4 microphones and it was sufficient. But I don't know how good the zoom preamp is. Maybe it is not bad.

UA5 needs a digi mod to run it as stand alone. You can find modded UA5 only here in Yard sale.

Check also Beyer MV100 preamp.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:42:38 PM by kuba e »

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 07:20:51 PM »
Naiant little box: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=192752.0

I have one and love it. Also recommend the Sound Devices MP-2 or the Mixpre/FP 24 as stated in above post.

You would then need a cable to go from the preamp the the 1/4” inputs on the Zoom
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 11:36:31 PM »
Another vote for the modded UA-5.
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Online Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 05:33:33 AM »
Another vote for the modded UA-5.
As an owner of a couple, I can second that.  They are a little difficult to wrap your head around, but the search function of this board will help in finding all you need to know about these units.
They are also not easy to find.  That does not make them better, its just a consequence of time passing on discontinued units.

Getting a different deck would serve a few purposes and is one you should consider.
A lot of recorders on the market have the clean gain you seek from another piece of equipment.
Minimizing your footprint and the amount of gear you bring to a show is something to consider... because that is important in real world scenarios.

P.S.  Responding to old Yard Sale posts can be futile.  Been there myself.  If you have time to shop, find what suits your needs.  If you need one soon, listen to the member's above input in your wants/thinking.  Just reading tapers opinions has been the highest rated guide for my purchases in the past.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 12:46:57 PM »
i second the dr100 mkiii

This right here
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 06:43:16 PM »
For 399 you can get a Centrance Mixerface R4D. Excellent preamp and recorder ,can record to a small deck like the sony A10 or Roland RO7 also can record to your android or I Phone. Sell the Zoom and go small.

Offline bty670

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 02:56:54 AM »
For 399 you can get a Centrance Mixerface R4D. Excellent preamp and recorder ,can record to a small deck like the sony A10 or Roland RO7 also can record to your android or I Phone. Sell the Zoom and go small.
I had never heard of the Mixerface until your post & have been doing some research. Looks like a really cool preamp / recorder! Love the size and how low key it is. People seem to say the biggest downfall is no display monitor (to check levels), but that is not a deal breaker for me... I will be looking into one of these in the near future!

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 08:39:59 AM »
About "going small"...

I have to come back to the DR-100 mkIII again.  For $299, you replace your Zoom with one small device that is an upgrade in every single way for the current recording chain.  All of these preamps or external devices people are recommending are good units, but in the end the H4n is just a lower-quality recorder than other options out there.  It might be "good enough" for now, but how about down the road when the OP upgrades to much better / more revealing mics?  Not to mention having a unit that records safety tracks so you don't need to run a limiter (which I avoid at all costs) is huge at this price point.

This isn't too diss on anyone's recommendations; I'm simply pointing out that if the H4n is the weak link here, you can replace it entirely with something that will be the strongest link.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 10:54:57 AM »
The H4n specification says it can do 4 track. Berliner+sbd or Berliner+omni is a good option.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:14:31 PM by kuba e »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com