Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new sweet heart hifiman he400  (Read 11416 times)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
new sweet heart hifiman he400
« on: February 13, 2015, 09:02:27 PM »
I've been wanting to enter the world of planar headphones for sometime, after all I've been a Maggie owner for over 33.33 years. I settled on Hifiman's he400. They have consistently received rave reviews and have been earmark as a best buy for 400 bucks. After shopping around I found a great price on an open box pair through Razor Dog, who said these have been used for less than 2 hours. At 249, which included shipping and no tax charge it appeared to be the best price going. It also came with the manufactures warranty. Used pair go for 230 on the Web so this seemed like a no brainer.

They arrived 4 days after I ordered them and appeared to be brand new. I would have never known they were open. Well, I was eager to give them a listen, so, I quickly plugged them into my x3 and was satisfied with my initial impression cold. These are not hard to drive and the x3 was able to manage them, however my modded fanmusic portable drives them better. I'm not going to go into much detail at this time because they need to break in but what I can say is that they have a great comfortable sound. The presentation is a lot like my speakers. They seemed well balanced without overly highlighting any frequency.  Maybe a bit laid back in the upper midrange but nothing that draws attention.

Anyway, I'll report more after I've had more time with them and they break in. They just might be my new flame. They certainly are a sweetheart and are getting me a bit hot a bothered.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 09:04:37 PM by raymonda »

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: new sweet heart hifiman he400
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 05:47:37 PM »
Carlbeck loves his he400.  I've considered them and still might at some point.  Like you, I've never had a pair.  I'm curious of your overall impressions but also if you hear any changes after breakin.  My Senn HD600 REALLY improved after break-in, but I think I've read one wouldn't expect much of a change from burnin of most planars.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 08:33:51 PM »
The 600, 650 and 700's were on my radar. I listened to a pair of 580 ' s 17 or so years ago and liked them. I've also monitored with 600 ' s and thought they sounded fine but really wanted to give these a try. After all, the seem to be the darling of the head freaks.....at the moment.

My experience with planar speakers is that the do in fact break in over time and the break in time can be long. Regardless, I'm liking them as they stand and if they keep getting better, well, that's a bonus.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 08:27:22 PM by raymonda »

Offline Craig T

• Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 03:56:10 PM »
thanks for posting your thoughts.  those have been on my radar for awhile.  wish I could demo somewhere nearby.   :djsmilie: (minus the turntables)
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 07:42:08 PM »
Yep as Steve mentioned I have a pair of these & love them. I think you can't go wrong with what you paid for them, enjoy your new flame.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 08:32:26 PM »
Craig......go for it. They are rocking my world right now. You use to own a pair of 1.7's, right. This brings everything that good planars bring plus the bass of 3 series, as well as the 20's.

I might have to back away from my upper mid comment, as these seem nicely balanced. But I'm only listening to them for enjoyment right now. Too much fun at this time to listen hyper critically.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:47:31 PM by raymonda »

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 10:15:50 PM »
I got a similar deal.

darktrain is doing a bitchin' custom cable for me for TS.com street cred...

They need a good amp though.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 10:28:44 PM »
I got a similar deal.

Actually, they don't need a good amp but perform better with one. my Matrix m stage works fine.....but my Melos Sha 1 is my favorite. My lowly modded fan music with op amp mod sounds fantastic and cost me less than $30. Even my X3 will run them but can run a bit out of gas if pushed too hard. I have not listen to my Matrix Mini yet....probably won't to soon since I have so many other options but sooner of later I'll give it a try, too.

Most of my listening so far has been in bed with my X3 and fan music.........betters anything I've owned before it. Although I still believe that Thinksound MS1 are the steal of the century. Well, now maybe there are two steals.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 10:44:45 PM »
I got a similar deal.

Interesting, I've been thinking if getting a new cable since the stock one is too long.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 11:10:58 PM »
Ok......I'm starting a bit more critical listening. I did a fast A/B with my MS 1 and you know what.......the MS 1 might be the best deal going on a set of iem cans. Really, they sound f'in good. I can't believe I paid $60.00 for a pair of them. Initially, what I can say is that they are in the same camp tonally. Defined bass....not over ripe or bloated but firm, extended and articulate. The high end is clean and fast with a bit more shimmer on top when compared to the M1. The M1 is a bit drier. The midrange is even, where I think there might be a slight 2k boast on the M1.

The 400 are clean....without haze or cloudiness and fast. Snares have snap.....toms have weight and body......especially the floor tom. Over all there is nothing to complain about frequency wise. They are well balanced and do not cater to bass heads or treble heads exclusively. Although both should find something they like in them.

Where they outshine the M1 is in the soundstage width......sounds come out further both left and right. At the right volume they are more like listening to my highly modded 3A's with dual subs......coupled with tubes.

So in my limited world of headphones these have been my favorite on ears bettering AKG's 240, 701Q's, 550's........ATm50's, sennheiser 580, 600 and 650's, 280's Grado RS2's, SR80, 125's and Sony MVR something or others. And yes, they better my second favorite Thinksound M1's, but I'll be keeping my two pair of M1's for those noisy environments and outside the home travels.

One last thing...I find the fit is comfortable and they do not bother my head. I can listen for long periods of time without a problem. Nice cans, great value and fun to listen to.  If your on the fence I hope I pushed you over.....I don't think you will regret it at all. Plus 1 for Razor Dog's open box price, too.

If anything changes I'll report back.....right now I have about 40 hours on them.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:18:32 PM by raymonda »

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 11:13:40 PM »
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 12:02:35 AM »
Hands down.....these are excellent headphones. I've now put more hours in them and they should be fully broken in. I like everything about them. They are a lot like listen to my Maggies,  which is a very good thing. I do have to go back to a bit soft in the upper midrange comment. To my ears they seem a bit polite in this region.....just slightly.......nothing bad......maybe 1 db or so. The 10k and above is very clean and extended and the bass is deep....when called on.....no bloat here and they flesh out pitch, e.g. they play the notes. I'm clearly in love and find it hard to put them down.

Right now I'm listening to GD 6-14-76, great show and one of Betty's best efforts. What she could do on a good night live to two track far outshines some of the poorly mixed and mastered efforts that has left the vaults recently. That's a different story. Anyways,  this recording sounds fantastic through these phones, as does any well engineered recording.

At 250 or 299 these have got to be the best hifi investment one can make. Pick up a pair before they are completely phased out. 

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:10:20 PM by raymonda »

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 03:32:35 PM »
Damn you, Ray!   ;)  Now I have to shop for a headphone amp... Schiit Lyr 2?
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 08:06:23 PM »
I'm having great success with my matrix mstage with op amp upgrade. My Melos sha 1 is the cats meow (FAV) and my fanmusic ra1 with opamp upgrade works great and is stupid cheap. It is also portable.

Did you order up a pair? You won't be disappointed.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 08:12:22 PM »
The Schitt stuff is supposed to sound really good. I had the Pan Am with the 400's when I first got them & the iFi Audio Nano & Nano iDsd, I kept the Nano. I couldn't justify the Pan Am as well.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com