Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mix-Pre 3/6 USB Batteries (what works and what doesn't)  (Read 107208 times)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Mix-Pre 3/6 USB Batteries (what works and what doesn't)
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2017, 03:53:03 PM »
I tried a USB-C 3.1 TO USB-C 3.1 cable for powering MP6 last evening and got zero power. Not sure if anyone else has had this experience.
What battery? I have found a few batteries that take USB C, and all of them have powered the MixPre 6 without issue. It sounds like a bad cable.

FWIW, Here are 3 USB-C batteries I use:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16240
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15120
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRQDAEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 04:04:50 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline dpower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2017, 11:55:18 AM »
I tried a USB-C 3.1 TO USB-C 3.1 cable for powering MP6 last evening and got zero power. Not sure if anyone else has had this experience.

That's very odd. Any properly-designed USB-C to USB-C cable should do the trick. What brand is your cable?

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2017, 11:56:35 AM »
Who is the maker of the cable?

I've used Anker 3.1 to 3.1 with great success.

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Qualified
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2017, 10:04:22 AM »
I can confirm that this angled usb-c works perfectly with my usbpre-3, giving the green power indicator with both of the usb-c batteries I own. There is no wrong way to plug in a usb-c connector, so it is right or left angle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSMOMAR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2017, 07:55:09 PM »
Anyone have a usb c battery that doesn't provide a green battery indicator?  I bought the right angle cable above and with my battery I am not getting full power.  It is a vinsic 20000 power bank.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #125 on: September 05, 2017, 08:09:15 PM »
Anyone have a usb c battery that doesn't provide a green battery indicator?  I bought the right angle cable above and with my battery I am not getting full power.  It is a vinsic 20000 power bank.

The USB-c port on that appears to be for input not output.

AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #126 on: September 05, 2017, 08:17:07 PM »
^ not the same model I am using!  Mine is for output it provides an orange indicator.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2017, 10:46:57 PM »
^ not the same model I am using!  Mine is for output it provides an orange indicator.

I found the other models. Offhand they should work but some of the reviews on Amazon bother me. I  see some suggestions that other people could not get the USB-c to act as an output, at least with their units.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2017, 07:11:45 AM »
I bought one of these Moshi IonSlim for < $20 on eBay (brand new) and with the 4AA sled, I get right around 8 hours. I would guess 5 hours with just the ext. battery. For low-pro, I couldn't imagine a lighter, slimmer battery. Samsung also makes a usb-c battery with a similar rating, which has similar run times. The cable I posted earlier works with all 4 of the usb-c batteries I have tried (Anker, Jackery, Moshi and Samsung).

Moshi: https://www.amazon.com/Moshi-IonSlim-portable-charger-power/dp/B072JVPVC5

Samsung: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C%7Bcreative%7D%2C%7Bkeyword%7D&gclid=Cj0KCQjwub7NBRDJARIsAP7wlT-4ysW612KS41Li9vrkVoghatKvctpOsoh4adMkOMXL_3GXs2DlQK0aAskjEALw_wcB&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1315719

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #129 on: September 06, 2017, 11:55:49 AM »

The USB-c port on that appears to be for input not output.
The picture shows USB micro, not USB "C". This model battery comes in a USB "C" model as well as this one. I have both (although not exactly the same model on close inspection) and the USB "C" model powers the mix pre with no issues.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 04:03:07 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #130 on: September 06, 2017, 12:36:02 PM »
The picture shows USB micro, not USB "C". This model battery comes in a USB "C" model as well as this one. I have both and the USB "C" model powers the mix pre with no issues.

Yes, that was my mistake. The one he has does have USB-c out.

10% of the people on Amazon rate the battery as a 1 out of 5, however, and there is this question:

Question: Why wont it charge from the usb type c as output, its only working as input
Answer: Not enough information to answer the question depends on what you're trying to charge unit could be too small to charge this item or other factors could be part of the problem
By Robert Helms on April 2, 2017
I have come to find out that the power bank unit can't recharge through USB C. It will only recharge through Micro USB. It will give you a double 00 if you try to recharge your bank through USB C .
By The Amazonian on August 11, 2017
Mine has this same issue. I'm trying to charge a Nexus 5x from the USB-C output but it's not working. It only works as an input.
By JTompkins on April 30, 2017
Actually, I just tried something out. I saw that my phone was charging the battery pack so i just rotated the usb connector 180 on my phone and plugged in and then it started to charge the phone. That's weird! Who the heck would want to charge a 20000mah battery using a phone??? Dumb! But it works now, at least.
By JTompkins on April 30, 2017

I admit the question and some of the answers are confusing, but I wonder if there are quality issues such that some people experience issues trying to use the USB-c for output

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2017, 08:45:07 PM »
I continue to have great success with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-High-Capacity-Portable/dp/B014ZO46LK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1504744857&sr=8-4&keywords=anker+usb-c

I run my mixpre either 4 channel (2 x kcy> ipa> mic in on mp6) or 6 channel (2 x Schoeps actives> PFA mic in to 1-4, and naiant littlebox line in to 5/6) with the lights on full. I record from the moment I'm set up until the deck gets turned off when the lights go on after the encore. I've never used more than 25% capacity of the battery, and no longer even run the AA tray at all.

$65 for at least 15 hours of full operation? It's a no brainer to me. Right angle USB - C is plenty secure on both ends.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2017, 09:21:05 AM »
and no longer even run the AA tray at all.

When I'm powering from USB, I'd like to ditch the AA tray as well, but I'm worried about dirt and dust getting into the SD card slot.

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2017, 01:01:19 PM »

When I'm powering from USB, I'd like to ditch the AA tray as well, but I'm worried about dirt and dust getting into the SD card slot.

I will let Noah answer for himself but I think that he meant that his machine never uses any of the AA capacity and not that he leaves the tray physically disconnected.  Personally, I would not do that just in case something fails.  I know that silly AA tray saved my ass for a recent Kimock show I recorded.  I turned my machine off during set break and when I powered it back up I guess my 26800 had gone to sleep.  I was lucky I had fresh AA's in, as well as haven't the luck to glance at the battery indicator on the MP6 and see it half gone.  I disconnected the USB cable and reconnected it to wake it up since I did not know that little wheel was a button.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2017, 02:51:18 PM »

Personally, I would not do that just in case something fails.

That's true. It does provide emergency back-up.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com