Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oade mod SBM-1 goes BOOOOOMMMM!!??  (Read 6526 times)

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
Oade mod SBM-1 goes BOOOOOMMMM!!??
« on: September 20, 2004, 01:41:24 PM »
Hey Now,
Looking for any feedback to a very strange equipment failure this weekend while taping a workmates blues band. My taping buddy and I were taping my coworkers band for a favor. We ran my MG's 200's into my V3 as the main rig. He wanted to patch out of my V3 via the XLR analog out to his RCA line-in on his mod SBM-1 > JB3 (for sound comparisons of his 24bit mod against the V3 AD/ANSR comparison we have been wanting to try for some time).

During sound check everything looked fine. My levels were set on the V3, good signals, all looks good. Then a few minutes later his SBM-1 dies as if his batteries dump for no reason (this is still while the V3 is sending a signal to his SBM-1). We quickly change cells (thinking his NiMH cells gone bad) with no luck. We try some spare cells of mine....no luck. No power lights on the SBM-1 or any signal being passed through to the JB3. Then the smell test.....OH SHIT!!!  When the sniff test is applied that horrifying smell of lightly toasted semiconductors is observed. Smelled strongest through the 7pin jack of the SBM-1 and near battery compartment.

What gives?? Anyone ever heard or seen this happen? The unit is a Oade mod line & 24bit mod. Never had anything but great luck from this unit until now. My buddy was obviously upset (understandable) & we bailed after my friends band finished and didn't stay to record the follow on band.

Any ideas??  ::)

Thanks,
LoS
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Oade mod SBM-1 goes BOOOOOMMMM!!??
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 01:55:23 PM »
what interconnects were you using to go from the V3 to the modsbm1. . i'm assuming you used a pair of XLR>RCA interconnects with no attenuation.  as we all know xlr is a professional medium while rca's are consumer.  V3=professional / sbm1=consumer grade.  it's possible you overloaded the modsbm1 and fried it :-\

edit: i guess i should ask if you have run this combo before (V3(analog out)>sbm1).  if so and with success i couldn't tell you what went wrong.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 02:04:23 PM »
what interconnects were you using to go from the V3 to the modsbm1. . i'm assuming you used a pair of XLR>RCA interconnects with no attenuation.  as we all know xlr is a professional medium while rca's are consumer.  V3=professional / sbm1=consumer grade.  it's possible you overloaded the modsbm1 and fried it :-\

not sure that did it as I have been running XLR out of my MP2 - RCA in of my Mod SBM1 for well over a year now

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 03:05:07 PM »
unless the rca ends were wired wrong or something :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Brian

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 03:05:54 PM »
yes but that's your mp2, not a V3.  output levels could be different.

and i'm just trying to get the thread going :)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 03:08:09 PM »
yes but that's your mp2, not a V3.  output levels could be different.

and i'm just trying to get the thread going :)

fair point.....may have to get George Wang in here..he has run a few XLR out of the V3->Mod SBM1 tapes....

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 03:12:03 PM »
I've done it a couple times without problems. Using Audio Magic XStream XLR>RCA interconnects bewteen the V3 and mod-sbm.

Offline Brian

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 03:16:15 PM »
yes but you probably had your levels calibrated as you were the only one using a v3.  sammy needed proper levels for his tape which could have been too much for the modsbm1 ???

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 03:17:36 PM »
going from xlr down to rca ain't gonna fry the sbm1 nor any other piece of equpment we use. it's gotta be something else.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 03:19:07 PM »
I ran the V3>dat with proper levels and the >mod-sbm for kicks. I remember the modsbm ending up around 3.5 to avoid clipping because the V3 was running hot for my V3>dat source.

Offline Brian

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2004, 03:22:45 PM »
ahhh ok.....thanks!  guess we can eliminate that variable

i'm at a loss. sucks to hear to modsbm1 went boom.

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 03:26:18 PM »

edit: i guess i should ask if you have run this combo before (V3(analog out)>sbm1).  if so and with success i couldn't tell you what went wrong.

Thanks folks for helping this thread out with your discussion.

Yes, we used XLR>RCA w/no attenuation. I really don't think it was the V3 analog out that fried it. I have had others tap out of the V3 outs for simple analog patches without any issues, can't see why this would have been any different. I ran the V3 gain about +30db setting or so with trim at about +3~4db R to L.

Still, with the line-in upgrade mod Oade does to the SBM should have allowed a feed from my V3 out without any issues. So WTF???
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 06:23:09 PM »
LoS, what taping buddy?  You got no friends, mate!  'Twas me that fried the SBM.  Nothing special other than fiddling with the gain pot to see a level on the frickin JB3 when we were checking it all out about 2 minutes after I plugged in.  Cranked the gain (tho, not all the way)....saw the jump in levels, then blank.....no levels....no lights on the SBM.  I think Sammy was turning he gain a bit too when it happened, the peaks meters on the V3 read at the highest about -3dB in that episode.  I never had an issue with this unit (it has both the mic and line op-amp mods from Oade).

I called Oade, they think it is a power board issue.  I sure as FUCK hope so.  Being jobless is one thing, but to have your HD cut out on you with shit load of stuff I hadn't gotten around to archive and then this, well.....it just plain sucks.

ANDY

Offline jk labs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 08:16:11 PM »

Thanks folks for helping this thread out with your discussion.

Yes, we used XLR>RCA w/no attenuation. I really don't think it was the V3 analog out that fried it. I have had others tap out of the V3 outs for simple analog patches without any issues, can't see why this would have been any different. I ran the V3 gain about +30db setting or so with trim at about +3~4db R to L.

Still, with the line-in upgrade mod Oade does to the SBM should have allowed a feed from my V3 out without any issues. So WTF???

The line in on the standard SBM-1 has both capacitors (to prevent DC from getting through) and 10 kOhms in-line series resistors (to restrict maximum current). All this to prevent most any external abuse from damaging the amplifying device.

The Oade mod doesn't touch these protective measures (not even when asked to throw those parts out by customers) so this has nothing to do with the mod.

Chances are it was the dc-dc converter that blew.

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2004, 01:07:30 PM »
Thanks to everyone who provided their opinions on what might have gone "poof" in the SBM-1. It is true, the mystery mod SBM-1 was Andy's unit (dwonk); but I kept him anonymous at the time because he's wanted by the FBI in 10 states and plans to flee (I mean leave) the country soon....(paging homeland security, paging homeland security).

I'm sure Dr. Oade will let us all know what the diagnosis is........ ::)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 03:46:19 PM by LeftoverSammy »
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com