Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 Digital In?  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
UA-5 Digital In?
« on: October 11, 2004, 11:51:06 AM »
hey
can the digital input on a UA-5 be recorded as a seperate (and thus third) track while the left and right XLR channels record. in essence, if i had a UA-5 and I hooked up my mics to the XLRs and then a SBD feed to  the digital in somehow, could i record this all? what happens to that digital input while the XLRs are running?
thanks
adam

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: UA-5 Digital In?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 12:13:27 PM »
Adam:

I can't directly answer your question, but wanted to be sure you are aware that the analog RCA input on the back of the ua5 is active and that a soundboard signal can be fed to the ua5 via the analog rcas at the same time that the mics are running in through the xlrs to create a matrix recording.  The level of the rca signal can be adjusted independently of the mics signal. via a small knob next to the rca jacks.

DArrin

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 01:10:03 PM »
hey
can the digital input on a UA-5 be recorded as a seperate (and thus third) track while the left and right XLR channels record. in essence, if i had a UA-5 and I hooked up my mics to the XLRs and then a SBD feed to  the digital in somehow, could i record this all? what happens to that digital input while the XLRs are running?
thanks
adam

I believe the answer would be no, the UA-5 is two track only. Any inputs in the rear would likely be mixed into the front inputs
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline mirth

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 01:10:59 PM »
Also, the soundboard wouldn't be putting a mono signal over the digital. It would have left & right channel infomation... So you're really looking for quad track ability.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 02:39:12 PM »
The ua-5 is digital OR analog record only, not both at the same time. There is a switch on the front that controls record mode.

You can, as Darrin posted, use the rca and xlr in's at the same time to do a matrix or 4 mic mix.

You would end up with 2 tracks with both signals, not 4 tracks though, so you have to monitor the mix on the fly.

It is not tough though, and there are threads here and on the Oade board describing the methods to mix with the ua-5.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline mirth

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 03:30:04 PM »
lol. I forgot about that damn button cuz I never use it! +t

Offline Tall Adam

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 03:31:53 PM »
thanks guys.
since i now know for sure that i cant use my M-100FX as a multitrack, the UA-5 has pretty much the same capability and is smaller, im thinkin about swapping for the UA-5
-adam

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 05:14:49 PM »
Yeah Mirth, it's set it and forget it (untill it gets switched by accident and you are freaking out why your ua-5 won't work ;D)

Adam, the UA-5 sounds great too. It's too bad the V3 doesn't have the flexibility of the UA-5. Since I've gotten the t-mod, the only thing I want that the v3 has is meters.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Tall Adam

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 06:27:55 PM »
just bought a used UA-5 on ebay for 220 shipped. check for sale if anyone is interested in a M-100FX

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com