Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is my TASCAM DR07 settings OK for recording a live gig?  (Read 5936 times)

Offline vr46

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Is my TASCAM DR07 settings OK for recording a live gig?
« on: April 27, 2019, 02:18:20 PM »
So, I will make a record attempt at a gig in the near future. Wanted to check with the more experienced people here if my settings are optimal, they are as follow. I will not use Phantom powered mics, so it's the internal ones:

Input Setting/
Input: MIC
Gain: High
Type: Stereo
Power: OFF
Low Cut: OFF
Level Ctrl: OFF

Rec Setting/
Format: WAV 24bit
Sample: 44.1k (increased my rec time with 11 mins compared to 48k which should be near precise to be able to record the whole show)
Size: 2G
Pre Rec: OFF
Delay: OFF

Size: 2G, is that the max. filesize before creating a new file? If so, does it create it instantly so that it won't be any gap in the recording?

Thanks for the help!  ::)

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
Re: Is my TASCAM DR07 settings OK for recording a live gig?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 03:07:08 PM »
if its an amplified rock gig, I might tend to turn the gain off or at least down to avoid distortion.  also if there is a setting to use the internal mics make sure its on.
The input : mic implies to me that its using an external mic.   

best suggestion try it before at a bar gig or at least using your home stereo to evaluate the results before it matters. 
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline vr46

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 04:04:22 PM »
if its an amplified rock gig, I might tend to turn the gain off or at least down to avoid distortion.  also if there is a setting to use the internal mics make sure its on.
The input : mic implies to me that its using an external mic.   

best suggestion try it before at a bar gig or at least using your home stereo to evaluate the results before it matters.

Well it's the great Mr. Mark Knopfler, so rock gig indeed. So you recommend gain down/off?

I think it says MIC regardless of internal/external mic. The setting called Power must be turned ON when using external, I am using internals so it is set to OFF.
The only choices you have here is MIC/LINE.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 04:23:06 PM »
Good show to test out your settings since if you mess it up, at least you can buy the soundboard.

I agree that the Gain should be turned off (or down). I never used the internals with a DR07, but I would think that the gain would only be needed for recording something like a speech or un-amplified show.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline vr46

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 04:28:46 PM »
Good show to test out your settings since if you mess it up, at least you can buy the soundboard.

I agree that the Gain should be turned off (or down). I never used the internals with a DR07, but I would think that the gain would only be needed for recording something like a speech or un-amplified show.

Thanks for your answer. Yes, I think the same, worth a try since he has agreed on taping shows for private use.
I changed Gain to MID, but if it is even better with LOW, I'll go for that  8)

Offline jmitchell

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 07:28:28 PM »
I think having some practice runs would be helpful.  If you just recorded your own stereo, use the settings, use the menus, get familiar with what you can do when recording and what you can’t do while recording.  I would just try to learn the gear that you’re using.  I haven’t been taping too long, but doing it is really the only way to get more familiar with it.  Being at shows and not knowing how to work out an issue is very stressful, but it’s also how I learn how to not do things as well.  Have fun, and welcome to the rabbit hole!
AKG C451E, CK1, CK22, CK3
Telefunken M60, TK60, TK62
Studio Projects C4 Cards & Omni
CA-14 Cards & Omni
Audioroot Femto, Sound Devices MixPre-D
Sound Devices MixPre-6, Zoom F8n, Roland R-05

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 07:41:18 PM »

Thanks for your answer. Yes, I think the same, worth a try since he has agreed on taping shows for private use.

The DR-07 allows for adjustments of gain within a given gain setting, correct? If so, I recommend using LOW setting and then adjusting the gain accordingly within that parameter.

Better to have too quiet a pull and increase gain in post than have clipping.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline vr46

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 12:49:14 PM »

The DR-07 allows for adjustments of gain within a given gain setting, correct? If so, I recommend using LOW setting and then adjusting the gain accordingly within that parameter.

Better to have too quiet a pull and increase gain in post than have clipping.

Ah, hi and thank you for the answer  8)
Will set to low and do some experimenting

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 12:00:54 PM »
Pick up a pair of Church Audio cards. You're not getting a good recording with that DR07. Knopfler is worth it. If I still had a pair I'd lend them out. 100$ or so and you walk away with 10 times better product. Hell the Knopfler show had to set you back $100, make it worthwhile.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=189321.0
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 12:08:01 PM by MakersMarc »
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline vr46

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 07:49:05 AM »
Pick up a pair of Church Audio cards. You're not getting a good recording with that DR07. Knopfler is worth it. If I still had a pair I'd lend them out. 100$ or so and you walk away with 10 times better product. Hell the Knopfler show had to set you back $100, make it worthwhile.

Those require pre amp/battery box as well, right ?

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 05:51:35 PM »

Those require pre amp/battery box as well, right ?

Not if the dr07 supplies enough Plug in Power. Others can answer that one.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 02:34:19 PM »
For Church mics you will need a battery box
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 03:33:37 PM »
The DR-07 only supplies around 2.5V pip, so you’ll need a battery box if you want to be sure to avoid distortion with the Church Audio mics.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 01:08:20 AM »
So also get Church's Ugly Battery Box (just a little lumpy thing that snaps onto a 9V battery), about $29, when you get the mics. Church mics (I have CA-11)-->Ugly Box-->Line in = a recording you'll enjoy.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 06:15:36 PM »
So also get Church's Ugly Battery Box (just a little lumpy thing that snaps onto a 9V battery), about $29, when you get the mics. Church mics (I have CA-11)-->Ugly Box-->Line in = a recording you'll enjoy.

Solid tapes for not much scratch. I had this setup before I picked up a full size 😈 rig. Only ran a few times always decent results. Closer is better.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com