Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Suggested mic upgrades: AT853 > AKG 393 > ???  (Read 4680 times)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Suggested mic upgrades: AT853 > AKG 393 > ???
« on: October 03, 2005, 12:59:46 AM »
I've been using AT853 for a while and recently moved to AKG 393 (really CK93 caps with self-made battery box).
I'm wondering what next?  Would a CK91 (cardioid) cap sound significantly better than the CK93?  How about Studio Projects C4?
Some people say those are better than AKG, some people say worse.  Or should I just bite the bullet and get the AKG 480s?
Let's continue with the upgrade insanity!

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Evil Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Re: Suggested mic upgrades: AT853 > AKG 393 > ???
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 03:07:26 AM »
I suggest, DPA 4061 mics, especially if you are stealthing alot.  Otherwise the Neumann actives sound really nice but cost alot more.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 03:51:54 AM »
I suggest, DPA 4061 mics, especially if you are stealthing alot.  Otherwise the Neumann actives sound really nice but cost alot more.

Hey thanks Evil.  I'm actually mostly open taping.  I imagine those omnis are great, but it also depends on the room.  Most of my stuff is in places with poor acoustics, so I tend to use cards or even hypers.  I also do a lot of "stack taping", just because of crowd noise, and again bad rooms.

Hey, I don't tape evil music either.  I tape "sad old bastard" music (remember that term in the movie "High Fidelity"), well that and alt.country.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 04:04:09 AM »
Pelusso CEM6 sound friggin sweet for $800.  I'd say that's the best deal you're gonna get on some seriously nice cards.  Those mics have changable caps too so you can switch it up for different situations.  Get your mics up in the air too man, the higher they are the less crowd noise you'll get.

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
Re: Suggested mic upgrades: AT853 > AKG 393 > MXL1006BP
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 05:12:27 AM »
MXL 1006BP
http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic/MXL1006/mxl1006.htm

I can't reccommend these mics enough, made in the same factory and virtually the same as ADK-51s (not the TLs the cards).  One advantage is they each can use a 9v to power them, great sound for a great price, two of these and the dual XLR to minijack cable will set you back about $225.  They sound great at the soundboard or at the stack. The frequency response is about perfect for PA taping resembling the Schoeps MK5 capsule.  Trust me when I say these are the hidden gems of the taping world, I would say they blow anything cheaper than a Josephson C42, out of the water.

check out the mp3 clip:
http://www.comebackdownload.com/Breathe-Tristan%20Prettyman.mp3

peace, chris
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 05:21:36 AM by VA_TAPER »
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 05:58:34 AM »
Why doesn't anyone here use these and why don't people like to tape with large diaphram mics?

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 09:31:42 AM »
There are a few people here who DO use these.  Most are scared away by the cheap cost, but cheap doesn't always = poor quality. 

As to why don't people tape with large diaphgrams, they do, on this board U89s, TLM-170's, C414s, are all in use and coveted.

The sound sure beats the cheap pencil condensers that are coming out of the wood work.

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 10:01:34 AM »
Yeah theres quite a few folks who tape with those cheap nak pencils and they don't sound natural at all, no bass with those things!  Whatever works buddy but nobody seems to mention those mxl mics ever.  I've used mxl LD mics in my home studio for vocals before and they sound great for the price for sure, especially with some tube warmth.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 11:08:41 AM »
i can't say much about the mxl mics, but i think if you're serious about the upgrade, the 480's will be a good investment.  they may seem a bit pricey, but if you watch the yard sale for a pair to come up used and have a little patience, i bet you'll find a pretty good deal on them.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 11:38:52 AM »
I would look at AKG 480's ($1000 used), Neumann 184's or 140's ($800,$1100 Used), or MBHO's ($1100 Used), ADK TL's ($650 Used)

I went with the MBHO's because less people use them, and they seem to be like AKG's but brighter.

Now if I could only get my hands on them.   ::)

Plus there is a nice cheap way to get capsules for the MBHO's.
mics & cameras

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 11:42:05 AM »
progression I went

AT853->AKG 391/3->MG SMS200/M20s->4022s

knowing they dont come up often...the MG300 fixed card cap is a sweet mic....better than pretty much any card in its price range imo

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 12:21:42 PM »
Yeah theres quite a few folks who tape with those cheap nak pencils

i would be careful what you say about about naks Evil   :P ;) :D

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 12:41:31 PM »
Pelusso CEM6 sound friggin sweet for $800.  I'd say that's the best deal you're gonna get on some seriously nice cards.  Those mics have changable caps too so you can switch it up for different situations.  Get your mics up in the air too man, the higher they are the less crowd noise you'll get.

I swear there's a pair of these new on ebay for a little over 500

found em...I dunno if this is a good price or not:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PELUSO-CEMC6-STEREO-PAIR-MICS-BRAND-NEW-AMAZING-SOUND_W0QQitemZ7354117069QQcategoryZ41466QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 12:46:54 PM by Audßall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 12:42:59 PM »
Yeah theres quite a few folks who tape with those cheap nak pencils and they don't sound natural at all, no bass with those things! 

*cough*   whaaa?!?

Evil, do I need to show you the light?  ;)
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 07:10:16 PM »
Lots of different mics listed here, lots of different sounds and lots of opinions. I think that if you are looking for a nice fat sound with a super tight yet pronounced low end with nice smooth highs, and can live with a little less detail then the Peluso's are the way to go.

The AKG 480s are a very detailed, very musical mic. I think the Peluso's are in the same class, but if you want more detail and a little more brightness then they are a proven performer for concert taping, can't go wrong with a pair of 480s.

MBHOs, IMO, are not worth their price unless you are recording acoustic or classical. The midrange on these mics tends to collapse under high spl's. I owned them for 2 years and although they are a pleasing mic under some circumstances the midrange smear is evident and annoying if you like any accuracy of what the show actually sounded like.

The MG mics are incredible, especially for guitar driven music. There really isn't anything bad that I can say about them other than you really need a playback system capable of producing the rich clean bass that these mics will give you.

I've never used Neuman's so I can't say much but of the few tapes I have I can say I am pleased with their sound. Their reputation in most circles speaks for itself.

The Studio Projects LSD2 is a great sounding, cheap, simple to use mic that yields results far exceeding it's $799 price tag. I would say it is a little faster sounding than most LD mics and has a slight roll off on the bottom end, but the midrange is similar to the MG mics, and that's a good thing.

These are just my opinions of course. The best thing you can do is listen to many different sources. Often times a higher price might not actually sound better to you. I used to run mk4s, and although they are a great mic with incredible midrange detail, the color wasn't exactly my cup of tea. I'm running Peluso's and an LSD2 right now and am generally more pleased with the results, for a lot less money! Sometimes you are paying for color and detail that may not be suitable for the type of taping situations you are in. All in all, the 480s and the Peluso's would be my top choices, unless you are really going to throw down cash, then it would be the MGs.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 04:03:11 AM »
Yeah theres quite a few folks who tape with those cheap nak pencils and they don't sound natural at all, no bass with those things! 

*cough*   whaaa?!?

Evil, do I need to show you the light?  ;)

That's my bad...i was thinking of the AKG C1000 pencils.....way too dry for my taste but they do sound nice as cymbal overheads :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com