Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: newbiee requests help b/t iriver, tunetalk, vibez, hi md, or something similar  (Read 3716 times)

Offline !readytoride

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I have always admired tapers.  TY for all you do.  I have always been interested in recording shows, but never took the time to do it.  I am looking for something small, for steath if need, but something I could use at shows that allow recording like tbc's, panic ect... festivals, bonnaroo,  I have a small budget to work with so am trying to get my best sound for my buck. I have been lookin at iriver ih120 with/rockbox, ipod w/ tunetalk, vibez, or ????

Also if you could point me in the direction of a pair of clip mics, perferable used. 

Any help would be nice.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
On a price/performance basis, the iRiver h120 and Rockbox software is a winner. 

IMHO, the preamp in a Sony Hi-MD recorder sounds better than other alternatives below $500. (I haven't heard the Vibez yet.)  But you may find the 94 minute limit of the Hi-MD disc is a problem for the recording you plan to do.

Flintstone

Offline !readytoride

• Taperssection Newbie
Thanks you for your input.  I read as much as I could for awhile and asking those who know and use the gear always helps to.  I am courious about what the vibez unit.  I guess nobody on the board has it yet or recorded with it anyways. 

I have a few good shows comin up in Nashville that I want to give this a whirl at.  So I have to figure out external mic, pre amp I guess ect...  I do like the small mics that sony makes the exm-ds70P Condenser T Mic.  I guess it would work a little better than the internal mic, but not quit as well as a hat clip mic. I am not really sure what else I need or can afford at this time. 

Stupid, but I tried to pm flintstone but it did not send.  I guess you have to put the 5 numbers in both boxes as they appear then hit send???  I can search fine, but not pm.   

Cheers -

Offline rdflash

• Needs to get out more...
  • I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
Thanks you for your input.  I read as much as I could for awhile and asking those who know and use the gear always helps to.  I am courious about what the vibez unit.  I guess nobody on the board has it yet or recorded with it anyways. 

I have a few good shows comin up in Nashville that I want to give this a whirl at.  So I have to figure out external mic, pre amp I guess ect...  I do like the small mics that sony makes the exm-ds70P Condenser T Mic.  I guess it would work a little better than the internal mic, but not quit as well as a hat clip mic. I am not really sure what else I need or can afford at this time. 

Stupid, but I tried to pm flintstone but it did not send.  I guess you have to put the 5 numbers in both boxes as they appear then hit send???  I can search fine, but not pm.   

Cheers -

T-mics by Sony are ideal for recording lectures, but not concerts.

You might want to browse www.soundprofessionals.com and some other sites on here for microphones.

Search around here, but a T-mic will not likely record anything but distortion during a concert.
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
This page gives you a rundown of the mics that you will want to consider.  It has the price range and (S) for stealthable, if that's what you are looking for. 

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,35004.0.html

You also might want to PM Chris Church at Church-Audio.  He also builds and sells low pro mics and other stuff (see http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,78618.0.html for an example and pics of one of his rigs that recently sold in Yard Sale), but I didn't see them listed on the other page.  Core Sounds sells a lot of these things, but there have been a lot of disasterous stories floating about regarding their customer service.

I have never personally bought or owned any of this type of equipment, so I can't recommend one over another.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA

You also might want to PM Chris Church at Church-Audio.  He also builds and sells low pro mics and other stuff (see http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,78618.0.html for an example and pics of one of his rigs that recently sold in Yard Sale), but I didn't see them listed on the other page.  Core Sounds sells a lot of these things, but there have been a lot of disasterous stories floating about regarding their customer service.

Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse

Cheers -

T-mics by Sony are ideal for recording lectures, but not concerts.

You might want to browse www.soundprofessionals.com and some other sites on here for microphones.

Search around here, but a T-mic will not likely record anything but distortion during a concert.

I have gotten some great recordings with the T-mic that came with the MT 2496. I use the SP battery box with it so that the TRS jacks are used, not the 1/8 jacks. I also have the T-mic into an "L" shaped adapter so it can be angled forward, and that way the unit can sit in my shirtpocket and not have any issues of rubbing or not being high enough out of the shirtpocket. Also some bass roll off (in post production) is necessary as the Sound Professionals battery box that sits atop the MT 2496 does not have bass rolloff. I have a pre-set in Soundforge on my PC that is specific to the setup, so I just run it once and the boominess is gone. In general I'd agree that a T-mic is not the way to go, but you can get surprising good recordings with a good T-mic and a good setup, and it goes right in a shirtpocket.

I ordered a (12GB) Vibez (couldn't resist another toy) and it came, but the click wheel was defective so I had to return it. I really liked what I saw, and envision it as kind of like a little JB3 (without the optical bitbucket capability). I should get the new one today and hope it is ok. I don't think the internal mic will be useable (is the internal mic stereo??), but with a battery box and small mics it may be a nice little  device. I hope to have more info soon. It was really attractive, and the display seemed really slick, but I barely played with it since the click wheel was loose and I wanted to switch it out right away.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com