Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tapers Section World Scoop (LOL) - Marantz PMD620  (Read 121336 times)

Offline JM Charcot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Tapers Section World Scoop (LOL) - Marantz PMD620
« Reply #225 on: March 14, 2008, 05:43:42 AM »
Firmware upgraded without problem.

Thanks for the info!

JM.

Offline bubba5916

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #226 on: March 14, 2008, 12:37:11 PM »
Have had one of these for just a few days.  Previously used a Sony D8 dat with core sound binaurals w/battery box - bass roll off.  The internal mics are very sensitive and will try the attenuation settings.  I'd like to get it working with the core sounds too though.  Levels are way too low when plugged into the mic in at 00 db gain and 00 db attenuation.  Saw someone mention a built in preamp but don't see a reference to that in the manual and don't see a reference to it in the menus.  So are they accessed automatically? Can I set it? 

Otherwise do I need to get an external preamp or new mics?  Stealthy recommendations?

Thx

I am sorry if I am asking the obvious, but did you use the battery box between the mics and the recorder?  If not, did you turn on the plug-in power from one of the pre-set menus (see page 52 in the manual, http://www.d-mpro.com/users/getdownload.asp?DownloadID=398)?  The default setting in all three pre-sets is "off".  If so, did you check to make sure the battery was fresh?

I have used some small electret mics (Church Audio STC-11's) directly into mic-in for a couple of shows and the results were pretty good (better than expected).  Levels were definitely high enough with the -24 dB attenuation setting and gain in the neighborhood of -10 or -12 dB.  The Core Sound binaurals should also work, I think.

I did try it with and without the battery box and with/without the mic power on.  Just put in a new battery into the box so will give that a try later.  Do the Church mics need a battery box or ext pre?  We record anything from an acoustic folk show to loud arena rock.  Looks like you got decent levels and even had to go -24db att.  I tested the CSBs with a local bar band last weekend and couldn't get levels more than ~-20db at 0 attenuation (high sensitivity).  Was I brickwalling?  Maybe I should've had it at -24 db. Don't hear any clipping though.   

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #227 on: March 14, 2008, 12:52:53 PM »
Have had one of these for just a few days.  Previously used a Sony D8 dat with core sound binaurals w/battery box - bass roll off.  The internal mics are very sensitive and will try the attenuation settings.  I'd like to get it working with the core sounds too though.  Levels are way too low when plugged into the mic in at 00 db gain and 00 db attenuation.  Saw someone mention a built in preamp but don't see a reference to that in the manual and don't see a reference to it in the menus.  So are they accessed automatically? Can I set it? 

Otherwise do I need to get an external preamp or new mics?  Stealthy recommendations?

Thx
The built-in preamp is automatically engaged when you use the mic in jack, like with most recorders.  I haven't had any problems getting a good (-6dB) level with no attenuation using AT943s plugged directly into it with mic power enabled, even at acoustic shows.  Maybe your Core mics are exceptionally low sensitivity, or it's possible you got a defective recorder.  I would test it with another pair of electret mics.
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

Offline bubba5916

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #228 on: March 14, 2008, 04:49:51 PM »

Thx

I am sorry if I am asking the obvious, but did you use the battery box between the mics and the recorder?  If not, did you turn on the plug-in power from one of the pre-set menus (see page 52 in the manual, http://www.d-mpro.com/users/getdownload.asp?DownloadID=398)?  The default setting in all three pre-sets is "off".  If so, did you check to make sure the battery was fresh?

I have used some small electret mics (Church Audio STC-11's) directly into mic-in for a couple of shows and the results were pretty good (better than expected).  Levels were definitely high enough with the -24 dB attenuation setting and gain in the neighborhood of -10 or -12 dB.  The Core Sound binaurals should also work, I think.

I did try it with and without the battery box and with/without the mic power on.  Just put in a new battery into the box so will give that a try later.  Do the Church mics need a battery box or ext pre?  We record anything from an acoustic folk show to loud arena rock.  Looks like you got decent levels and even had to go -24db att.  I tested the CSBs with a local bar band last weekend and couldn't get levels more than ~-20db at 0 attenuation (high sensitivity).  Was I brickwalling?  Maybe I should've had it at -24 db. Don't hear any clipping though.   

I changed the battery in the bbox.  Took everything out to the car at lunchtime (I'm on the West coast) and did some testing.  Levels are MUCH better now.  So now the bbox has a sticker on it w/today's date on it  ;)  Did notice that the internal mics sound brighter than the external ones.  Is that typical? Not sure if that's a good or bad thing at this point.  Gotta play my sound samples on something other than earbuds.    Thanks folks!

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #229 on: March 14, 2008, 05:17:24 PM »

Thx

I changed the battery in the bbox.  Took everything out to the car at lunchtime (I'm on the West coast) and did some testing.  Levels are MUCH better now.  So now the bbox has a sticker on it w/today's date on it  ;)  Did notice that the internal mics sound brighter than the external ones.  Is that typical? Not sure if that's a good or bad thing at this point.  Gotta play my sound samples on something other than earbuds.    Thanks folks!

Internal mics are no exactly the strongest feature of the PMD 620 ( or any other hand held recorder as as far as I'm concerned). Your external mics will always sound better. So it's not a good thing/bad thing issue. Hope that helps ;) Enjoy your gear.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline seabrook

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #230 on: March 16, 2008, 04:19:34 PM »
Firmware updated for me.  BTW, I first tried a 16 MB SD card which only allows for a FAT file system.  No dice.  I then switched to a 1 GB card, formated with a FAT32 file system and tried again with success.

Offline efksound

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #231 on: April 04, 2008, 04:09:10 AM »
Hi everyone

My first post! Just got my PMD620 (It's was a hard time to come up with a choice :)) The PMD620 came with 1.xx firmware and just updated to 2.34 without any problems. Now the anoying latency on the headphones is gone !
Now I'm doing test recording and playing with the machine. I'm mainly going to go LINE IN, but i've noticed that when you have no signal coming, the meters on the PMD always mark around -50dB, even if you lower down the rec level to MUTE it's still marking something around -60dB, Is this the unit's self noise? Can someone else with PMD620 confirm that his unit his doing the same thing? It would be nice to know if this is normal or it's my unit that's defective.

thanks a lot!

Eric

Offline Keyser Soze

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #232 on: April 04, 2008, 01:12:05 PM »
There's a noise performance chart on the 620 in this link, along with some other units:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,97231.msg1333626.html#msg1333626

I haven't actually used a 620, but from what I've read its' noise floor is a bit lower than the R09.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 01:13:41 PM by Keyser Soze »

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #233 on: April 04, 2008, 01:57:45 PM »
I'm mainly going to go LINE IN, but i've noticed that when you have no signal coming, the meters on the PMD always mark around -50dB, even if you lower down the rec level to MUTE it's still marking something around -60dB, Is this the unit's self noise? Can someone else with PMD620 confirm that his unit his doing the same thing? It would be nice to know if this is normal or it's my unit that's defective.

Mine does this too.  I don't think it is a problem, as I have used it quite a bit already with no troubles.  Or, at least, no troubles I didn't cause myself!

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #234 on: April 04, 2008, 02:14:48 PM »
I'm mainly going to go LINE IN, but i've noticed that when you have no signal coming, the meters on the PMD always mark around -50dB, even if you lower down the rec level to MUTE it's still marking something around -60dB, Is this the unit's self noise? Can someone else with PMD620 confirm that his unit his doing the same thing? It would be nice to know if this is normal or it's my unit that's defective.

Mine does this too.  I don't think it is a problem, as I have used it quite a bit already with no troubles.  Or, at least, no troubles I didn't cause myself!

I guess it´s the "noise" of the room you are in which causes the -60db.

1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline efksound

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #235 on: April 04, 2008, 02:46:33 PM »
Hi

How can it be the room since I'm going line in? I'm not using any microphone

I've done some more tests:

1. Choosing line in the preset menu without connecting anything in the line in jack and putting the machine into rec-pause already gives me this -50dB reading in the meters.

2. Tapping with my fingers a bit hard in the internal mics gives me some meter activity as if the internal mics were actually not 100% disabled.

Any one else with a PMD620 experiencing this ?

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #236 on: April 04, 2008, 03:18:24 PM »
Hi

How can it be the room since I'm going line in? I'm not using any microphone

I've done some more tests:

1. Choosing line in the preset menu without connecting anything in the line in jack and putting the machine into rec-pause already gives me this -50dB reading in the meters.

2. Tapping with my fingers a bit hard in the internal mics gives me some meter activity as if the internal mics were actually not 100% disabled.

Any one else with a PMD620 experiencing this ?

Mine does that too.
I've been informed by Marantz that this is perfectly normal, nothing to worry about ;)

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #237 on: April 04, 2008, 03:26:51 PM »

I think the -50 dB is likely just the bottom of the range the meter measures.

Offline efksound

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #238 on: April 04, 2008, 03:34:11 PM »

the PMD620 meters go a bit below - 60dB
Mmm... Even if Marantz says it's normal I think it's a bit too much
Does the R-09 or R-09 HR behave the same way ?

thanks for the answers

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #239 on: April 04, 2008, 04:10:47 PM »

the PMD620 meters go a bit below - 60dB
Mmm... Even if Marantz says it's normal I think it's a bit too much
Does the R-09 or R-09 HR behave the same way ?

thanks for the answers

No. The R-09 levels stays very quiet. Bu appreciate the fact that the R-09 only goes to -40 if I remember right.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com