Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new DPA miniature mic catalog  (Read 8142 times)

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
Re:new DPA miniature mic catalog
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2004, 10:11:20 AM »
90% of theatrical performances, film/video productions, 'platinum' voices are captured, or wished they were captured, on DPAs.  

90% of what people on this board use them for are none of the above.

Totally agree.  If I was looking for mics to stealth concert recordings with, DPAs would certainly be at the bottom of the list - unless I really had cash burning a hole in my pocket.
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2004, 01:01:43 PM »
If you read through the DPA site, they make a pretty good case for omnis.  It is widely accepted that omnis provide more natural sound.  

After using omni's a bit I couldn't agree more. Now I run omni's every chance I get and while cardioids still sound fine the coloration of hypers has become readily apparent.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2004, 01:25:40 PM »
i personally, hate running omnis for a live taping situation.  too much bs background noise.  in a number of studio cases ill use them, but cant do it indoors in the field- just too much bounce.

Offline Tim

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2004, 01:33:04 PM »
i personally, hate running omnis for a live taping situation.  too much bs background noise.  in a number of studio cases ill use them, but cant do it indoors in the field- just too much bounce.

I'm sorry, apparently you can only live tape indoors? Must be an Indiana thing.

on stage and outdoors

as for indoors, if you were close enough to the stage/stacks you might be able to pull it off but yeah cards would be the way to go
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

jpschust

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2004, 01:36:55 PM »
sorry i was unclear.  indoors i wont use omnis.  outdoors i will.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2004, 01:49:25 PM »
while i haven't done it, i have some indoor omni recordings that show you do not have to be outdoors or onstage indoors to run omnis...panic recordings by syrek (482) and the captain (mk2h) demonstrate this fact.

Offline Tim

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2004, 01:56:48 PM »
I'd like to try it at The Fox in Boulder sometime... the room sounds great (I mean one of the best indoor venues I've ever heard... amazing room) and the front drink rail is a few feet above the w00ks on the floor and you are only about 25' from the stage.

I'd really love to split omni's on either end of that drink rail at about 7'... they would be about 20' from each stack and just a touch off axis.

Offline Tim

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2004, 01:58:12 PM »
see the yard sale for the going rate on a set of dpa 4022's...

not cheap.

jpschust

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2004, 01:59:22 PM »
not at all.  ill keep saying it till yall go deaf.  most overpriced piece of gear out there.  well that or the 1500 dollar ad1000 that was on ebay a few months ago.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2004, 02:07:51 PM »
not at all.  ill keep saying it till yall go deaf.  most overpriced piece of gear out there.  

i'm sure we all appreciate your comments and advice on how to lead our lives...thanks!!!!!

jpschust

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2004, 02:13:49 PM »
thats what im here for :-P

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2004, 04:36:55 PM »
90% of theatrical performances, film/video productions, 'platinum' voices are captured, or wished they were captured, on DPAs.  

90% of what people on this board use them for are none of the above.

Totally agree.  If I was looking for mics to stealth concert recordings with, DPAs would certainly be at the bottom of the list - unless I really had cash burning a hole in my pocket.

:) I dig

BobW

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2004, 09:46:50 PM »
YDPAs are at the top of their food chain.  There are only two things that work against them.  Price, and durability.  Not small fry issues either.

OK, I want to be an unobtrusive, Euro-mic taper for religious reasons.
I don't stealth. I boycott People's Republic of Tibet Bashers.  :P

What can I do to use dpa4061s on a bar of sorts ?
Are there tiny shock mounts ? Are they needed ?
What can I do to help overcome the durability issues ?

BTW, can I just give these things 48v phantom and expect them to be fine ? Or do I need actives or something in front of my UA-5 ?

TIA.

-Bob  

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2004, 09:42:22 AM »
I have 8 pairs of 4061/4071s and the most recurring problem with durability is right at the base of the mic at the wire output, and the same at the microdot end.  I perfer the microdot, then an adapter because there is less weight against the wire input opposed to having it wired with another connector.  I used to have them wired for Lectro wireless connector then just went with an adapter and the problem subsided.  Aside from that, try not to pack them in with other gear, use some sort of hard case when you transport them - I use a schoeps wooden case with the blue styro yanked out of it...
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

BobW

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2004, 05:46:07 PM »
Thanks !
What about a mounting system ?
Any mounts ? Or is it tyraps and duct tape ?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com