Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So many choices (ADK, Oktava, Rode)  (Read 3588 times)

Offline teajay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
So many choices (ADK, Oktava, Rode)
« on: February 25, 2004, 05:23:09 PM »
OK, so about a week later I have decided on and ordered a digimod UA-5 and JB3. (A big stretch from my initial Duo and laptop idea). Since that has all changed I've also been tossing around different Mic ideas, and need some recommendations from anyone who's willing to help. The choices here are

ADK A-51 Twin pack that has the A51's and SC-1's
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=search&item=ADK-A-TWIN&type=store

ADK SC-T's (where I think I'm heading until someone here gives me reason not to)
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=search&item=ADK-SC-T&type=store

I read the post about one of their engineers not being happy with the SC-T's, but it's only what I'd expect from a professional mic engineer talking about a $200 mic.

"Matched pair" of Oktava's from recordingservices or soundroom. I hear so many mixed feelings about these that it almost scares me

And finally a matched pair of Rode NT5's (I know someone told me these sounded like shit through a Duo, but curious as to how they sound through the UA-5?)

I'd like to know too, the importance of getting a matched pair with ADK (A51 or SC-T) is? I can imagine their QC is better than Oktava's, but is it still better to have them matched?!?!

Sorry to ask so many open ended questions, but ya'll can debate over it if you'd like :)   Thanks

Cheers,
Travis
Save a tree, eat a beaver

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
Re:So many choices (ADK, Oktava, Rode)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 05:46:18 PM »
i would go with the ADKs out of those 3 for sure.  The SC-T is a great way to go since it has 2 polar patterns to begin with.  You can get a matched pair of SCTs, but their QC is prett good anyway.

phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 06:43:47 PM »
Go with the ADKs.  I have a pair of Type IV A51S LEs and the rock!  I'm now thinking though of selling them for a pair of SC-Ts.  I like the small size, and switchable capsules.  And those mics would fit into one hard case with my UA5 and NJB3.

As for the Oktavas, before you get those, shop around more.  There are plenty of inexpensive mics out there that kick the absolute beejeebees out of the MC012s...

I buddy here at work just got a pair of Studio Projects C4s and the are VERY VERY similar to the ADK SC-Ts.  He paid about $350 for the matched pair.

Make me an offer and I may sell you my LEs.

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline teajay

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 07:53:04 PM »
The SC-T is a great way to go since it has 2 polar patterns to begin with.  

I see on the ADK site that this has "Fixed Cardioid + Omni Pattern - 2 Capsules Included", but on SonicSence's site it just sais "Fixed Cardioid", anybody know if they exclude the extra capsules or something?

Travis

Offline teajay

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 07:57:38 PM »
Make me an offer and I may sell you my LEs.

Thanks, but for now I think I'm looking for a smaller mic. I'm not stealthing or anything, rather I'd prefer not to schlep around large microphones. That is of course, until I drop some $$$ into a pair of TL's  :D

Offline tadjblack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 09:06:25 PM »
I'd keep away from those rodes- ask jason bush
Team Bama Alumni

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 12:30:16 AM »
The SC-T is a great way to go since it has 2 polar patterns to begin with.  

I see on the ADK site that this has "Fixed Cardioid + Omni Pattern - 2 Capsules Included", but on SonicSence's site it just sais "Fixed Cardioid", anybody know if they exclude the extra capsules or something?

Travis

I spoke with Larry at ADK about these omni's, they have been advertised on the site for a while now but they had a problem with QC which pushed back the delivery date on these to probably sometime in the last week or so, when I had spoken with him (first week in Feb at sometime) they hadn't even begun shipping the new dual capsule versions.

They might be, just now, trickling onto the market.  If you purchase (or have in bought in the past) a SC-T and you'd like an omni capsule I'd recommend contacting ADK as Larry said he could get them relatively cheap to SC-T owners but they'd have to wait for their next shipment of caps.

HTH, I ran SC-T's for a good while and enjoyed them!  Shame you can't get a hyper for them!

Edit: I also think that the MC012's are one of the best sd bargains you can find and highly recommend them as well!!!!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 12:31:39 AM by npsinboro »
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline teajay

• Taperssection Member
Re:So many choices (ADK)
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 12:14:49 PM »
And I've decided, finally!
Ordered up a pair of ADK SC-T's from SonicSense.  Comes with Omni and Card capsules and case. Not sure on how often I'll be using the omni's, but it's nice to have.

Let me say WOW! Customer Service was impeccable, it was almost hard to believe. She called me back twice with info that she didn't know off hand.
Their prices were lower than anyone else too.

Now I just have to wait the 2 weeks for ADK to start shipping out these new puppies.

So now, the rig as we have it will be
ADK-SC-T's > Digi UA-5 > JB3...  Better than I though I'd be starting with.

I've got the next couple weeks while waiting for my stuff to make it to Canada to start building cables, and I'm gonna try to make some of those homemade shockmounts.

Thanks for all the help guys, i'll be sticking around here hopefully for a while.
If only I had enuogh posts to hand over tickets to ya'all.

Cheers,
Travis

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 01:32:06 PM »
Welcome to Team ADK.  Send me your email and I'll load you up with lots of ADK goodies...

I'm wondering, maybe your ADKs will come with mounts...

Let us know how you like those SC-Ts...  Like I said, I want a pair bad!

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 01:36:23 PM »
Those SC-T's will come with cheap plastic mounts--they use a 1/4" coarse thread though and atleast mine were VERY TIGHT, so tight that I never used them as I was afraid to force the mic into the mount and cause scratches, etc. to the mic body.
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re:So many choices (ADK)
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004, 02:04:30 PM »
And I've decided, finally!
Ordered up a pair of ADK SC-T's from SonicSense.  Comes with Omni and Card capsules and case. Not sure on how often I'll be using the omni's, but it's nice to have.

Let me say WOW! Customer Service was impeccable, it was almost hard to believe. She called me back twice with info that she didn't know off hand.
Their prices were lower than anyone else too.

Now I just have to wait the 2 weeks for ADK to start shipping out these new puppies.

So now, the rig as we have it will be
ADK-SC-T's > Digi UA-5 > JB3...  Better than I though I'd be starting with.

I've got the next couple weeks while waiting for my stuff to make it to Canada to start building cables, and I'm gonna try to make some of those homemade shockmounts.

Thanks for all the help guys, i'll be sticking around here hopefully for a while.
If only I had enuogh posts to hand over tickets to ya'all.

Cheers,
Travis

congrats! and you'll be glad you've got omni's... great for outdoors and on stage.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

marc0789

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 02:35:18 PM »
if I could add a pattern, it'd be omni. nothing like omnis outdoors, particularly at those Colorado 20mph wind phase shows, like RR or Telluride. +t and welcome!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com