Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: looking to get matched caps for my gc oktava's...  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
looking to get matched caps for my gc oktava's...
« on: March 11, 2004, 03:18:25 PM »
Fortunately, Todd is super cool enough to mod my guitar center Oktava MC-012's sometime in the future (thanks Todd!!). So hopefully the bodies should be matched in output. Now all I have is the cardioid caps from gc, and I don't know if these are matched are not. I contacted Sound Room (which sells matched pairs for $178 a pair) and they were willing to offer a deal if I bought all three (omni, cardioid, and hyper) matched caps, but it's still a boat load of dinero. So that brings me to my question(s):

How do I test the caps I already have when I don't even know if the bodies are matched?

How do I even test the mics and caps I have right now to see if they're matched? Recording same sound in same spot then comparing wav's?

I heard that the ebay seller "recordingservices" is a licensed oktava dealer? He has HANDMATCHED caps for just a little cheaper...

I know there are some experienced oktava users, so I appreciate any help.  thanks
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline teajay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re:looking to get matched caps for my gc oktava's...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 03:50:22 PM »
if you don't NEED all three caps, then your best bet may be to spend the $178 from sound-room. Many people have good things to say about their work. Doesn't the ebayer sell his for $155? I'd say the $20 is worth knowing you got a good match. Unless of course you just care :)
Save a tree, eat a beaver

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 03:58:32 PM »
yeah I definitely think you get what you pay for, I'm leaning torwards sound room.

Offline Sugarite

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 06:05:33 PM »
Capsules aren't the only thing that need to be matched.  Oktava is not known for their quality control, and their internal components have wide tolerances, so two MC012's can still vary widely with matched capsules.  This is why there are several sources selling matched pairs, it's a process of matching bodies with each other as well as capsules.  I've been told that the Dorsey mod done to both mics (which matches the bodies) is more effective than matching capsules.

Myself I prefer mics that come ready to use.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 06:10:54 PM »
search for more oktava threads here, and go back a ways, i talked to taylor from the sound room (an excellent retailer with excellent service whom i highly recommend ;) ) andh e gave me the lowdown.  if i remember correctly, he said with the recent quality control upgrades within oktava, there are no longer many issues with the bodies being matched.  these are typically close to one another, however it is the caps that can vary widely.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline hoobash

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 02:11:17 AM »
I got mine for soundroom and they will do you right but you can check ebay for the cheaper matched caps they got on there. Get the hyper cards they are the best caps. You can use the hypers with no problems most of the time. I would run the cards outdoors

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3709463217&category=15198

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 03:34:05 AM »
+t's

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com