Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H2 Question  (Read 12279 times)

Offline Wigley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Zoom H2 Question
« on: March 29, 2009, 09:12:50 AM »
I need some help with my Zoom H2. What is a good record level to record loud concerts? I'm kinda dissapointed with it as my first concert I recorded with it was distorted somewhat even though I may have accidently kept it on high gain. I know you should always keep it on low gain and 120 setting during concerts. I don't have money for mics at the moment. I've heard samples of the h2 that were songs from recorded concerts with the internal mics and it sounded great. So I know its possible to get a good reording out of it. I just need to know what would be good record levels and a good limiter. If this recorder keeps dissapointing I might get an h4 as I've heard really good recordings with that.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Zoom H2 Question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 12:35:01 PM »
The limiter and level settings won't prevent clipping-they act after the ADC.

For moderately loud stuff or louder, set your gain to low and keep your record levels at 100. I you need to set levels below 100 to keep the meters from going over 0 dB it won't prevent clipping, so it's best to keep them at 100 so at least you'll know if you're clipping. If the meters do go over 0 dB (and I think it has to be very loud to do that at these settings), all you can do to prevent clipping is to move away from the source until they are peaking below 0 dB.

For quiet stuff, you can experiment with the medium and high gains, but again keep the record level at 100, so you'll know when you're clipping (and of course if you go over 0 dB with the gain at M or H, your first response should be to set it to a lower gain setting).

You can set the level above 100, if you need to, to get more gain, but I'm inclined to think that you'd get cleaner gain by boosting with your editing software (especially if you record in 24 bits).
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 04:43:57 PM »
Just last weekend I was using mine in a place where I couldn't see the screen so I set the mic gain to low and the level to 100 (which is unity and on the digital side). Well, I thought I had the mic gain set to low but the recording came out horribly clipped. I went back and looked at the until and sure enough the gain was set to high. I don't know how that happened but it did. I guess its easier to accidentally bump that setting than I thought.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 04:54:32 PM »
I need some help with my Zoom H2. What is a good record level to record loud concerts? I'm kinda dissapointed with it as my first concert I recorded with it was distorted somewhat even though I may have accidently kept it on high gain. I know you should always keep it on low gain and 120 setting during concerts. I don't have money for mics at the moment. I've heard samples of the h2 that were songs from recorded concerts with the internal mics and it sounded great. So I know its possible to get a good reording out of it. I just need to know what would be good record levels and a good limiter. If this recorder keeps dissapointing I might get an h4 as I've heard really good recordings with that.

The problem is one of max spl.. Your internal mics can only handle so much before they distort. It will always be abit of hit and miss with this recorder I am afraid, I would recommend you are conservative with your levels nothing over -12 db even with low levels you can still overload the mics and get distortion. So you will have to experiment. You can get anything to sound great in the right set of circumstances... But unless your in the same room at the same time your not likely to get the same sound as the samples you have listened to. I would strongly suggest saving up for some mics and a battery box at the very least for this recorder as the built in mics and preamp are weak to say the least.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline captain88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 02:39:49 AM »

The problem is one of max spl.. Your internal mics can only handle so much before they distort. It will always be abit of hit and miss with this recorder I am afraid, I would recommend you are conservative with your levels nothing over -12 db even with low levels you can still overload the mics and get distortion. So you will have to experiment. You can get anything to sound great in the right set of circumstances... But unless your in the same room at the same time your not likely to get the same sound as the samples you have listened to. I would strongly suggest saving up for some mics and a battery box at the very least for this recorder as the built in mics and preamp are weak to say the least.

Chris

ok i just bought a zoom h2, if i buy a battery box and mics, how will it work with it what setting would need to be set on the actul recorder to make it work right with the battery box and mic?

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 02:47:54 AM »

Chris

ok i just bought a zoom h2, if i buy a battery box and mics, how will it work with it what setting would need to be set on the actul recorder to make it work right with the battery box and mic?

Buy a preamp instead of a battery box, they are more flexible. Run that into the line in. Set the recording level on the display to 100 and forget it. There's noting that level will do that you can't do later in post. Instead use the mic sensitivity switch on the side. Rarely will you need to go above "L." A preamp will allow you to dial in the levels some. Oh, and record at 24 bit. It takes up a bit more space file-wise but allows you to boost levels in post without loosing too much quality. Its worth it!
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.188 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com