Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie...minidisc vs. digital audio recorder for recording concerts  (Read 12287 times)

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
Re: Newbie...minidisc vs. digital audio recorder for recording concerts
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 12:48:08 AM »
something I didn't see in a quick glance at this thread--MD is basically a dying format. Good luck finding discs for it in a few years....
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

ilduclo

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 07:55:31 AM »
Thanks all.

Yeah the whole reason why I was so torn on md and digital was because I've heard some really great recordings come from a sony md, while all of the amazing digital recordings i've heard have come out of extremely expensive recorders and mics...and I don't have $1000 right now to drop on a set up :(

I've found an awful lot of the quality of the shows I record are in the room, the soundguy plays a huge role, and sometimes the best quality gear is not a real help. I still use an old model MD, Sharp mdmt770 as well as my even older DAT and a new Sony d50.  My mic choice is the dpa omni's (I have 4061's) and they are really nice.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 01:23:55 PM »
I would not recommend iRiver or NJB3 for *analog* inputs.
An Edirol R09 (or HR) is good for amplified music (mic in).
A Sony PCMD50/M10 is great for quiet (acoustic) music (mic in).
No need for a preamp in either case.
Possibly need a battery box, but I've used both with mics directly in.
Simplest setup and excellent sound...
  Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline jklock

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 02:08:32 PM »
Yeah I'm kind of going back and forth between the R-09hr and the Microtrack II.  I'm definitely liking the price of the microtrack a bit more haha but I've been doing a lot of reading on these boards and a ton of people have issues with the battery. Also, excuse my ignorance concerning terminology but it seems common for people to use the microtrack II as a bitbucket...what exactly does that mean?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 02:16:05 PM »
I own a microtrack and would never, ever, buy a microtrack II.  There is a long history of m-audio making all sorts of lofty claims about the original microtrack and then delivering a piece of crap.

If you want a good, clear reason why you should avoid the microtrack ii, it has a built in battery that you cannot change.  You must send it to m-audio for replacement.  The warranty on the battery is only 90 days.  That should tell you something.

You can pickup a used r09 for $150 in the yard..  That's a steal.

I like running external pre-amps because they tend to sound better, not just because of the noise floor.  But that is a discussion for another thread.

Offline jklock

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 02:42:43 PM »
oh that sounds awful...nevermind!  If I can grab a r-09 or hr for around that price I'll be set

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 04:17:19 PM »
Also, excuse my ignorance concerning terminology but it seems common for people to use the microtrack II as a bitbucket...what exactly does that mean?
Basically, going digital-in on the MTII, avoiding the built-in AD. Note that mic-in is noisy on the MTII, whereas some users are reasonably happy with the line-in. That said, if you're only after a recorder with line-in, you can get the DR-07 for less.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 04:18:55 PM »
I would not recommend iRiver or NJB3 for *analog* inputs.

I agree with you on the NJB3, but what's your beef with the iriver? Never had a problem with the analog input, my only complaint is how hard it is to install a new battery.

Just curious...
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 09:39:36 AM »
Also, excuse my ignorance concerning terminology but it seems common for people to use the microtrack II as a bitbucket...what exactly does that mean?
Basically, going digital-in on the MTII, avoiding the built-in AD.

To explain further, if you're running through the mic or line inputs, you need to set levels on the recorder, make sure they're not too high or too low, etc. It's just one more thing to adjust in your signal chain (in addition to your external preamp, if you're running one). It's always a fine line to dance if you're adjusting your pre AND your recorder. However, if you're running digital in, there's nothing to adjust on the recorder - it takes the digital signal and records it, just like filling up a bucket with water. Then all you have to control is the hose (i.e. the signal coming from your preamp/AD convertor).

It doesn't sound like you'll be going digital in, in which case you don't really need the digi-in capabilities of the Microtrack - that's the only real reason I bought it, because it's the cheapest recorder out there with RCA digital in. I'm always taping openly so I don't mind running an external battery pack along with it, which takes the crappy battery life out of the equation.

If you're going to be running low-pro, I'd second the R-09/R-09HR recommendation as you'd want something with a decent mic-in, and it's a proven performer in those types of situations.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 10:00:36 AM »
Hi all, for some time now I've been wanting to get into taping and record some of the local shows in NYC that I attend (bands like Black Dice, Gang Gang Dance, Animal Collective, etc. that are extremely loud and bassy).  I've been debating whether or not to pick up a MD recorder or a digital one like the Edirol R-09.  I picked up Sony ECM 719 mic not too long ago to test on this cheap voice recorder I bought a few years back but its meant for MD so it really didn't make a huge difference on the little sony voice recorder I have- and I didn't pay a whole lot for it so not using it for newer recordings wouldn't be an issue.  Anyways, I've heard transferring recordings from a md to a computer (I have a mac) can be a pain with the exception of models like the Sony MZ RH 1 and the MZ M200 which feature regular usb transfer.  If anyone could give me some input on the best decision to make/specific models/and other advice it would be greatly appreciated!!

Its very simple R09HR and be done with it.. No disks to get messed up MD was a great format and for some it still is. But when you compare MD to SD cards the SD kicks its ass for reliability. And ease of uploading to your computer.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline pafnuzzi

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 01:45:39 PM »
Agree with Chris even if I prefer from my experience with both of them the Sony PCM M10 above the R-09HR because the internal mic pre is a lot quieter. So you could spend your money instead of an external preamp for a better mic, CA 14 instead of CA11, and go mic in with a bbox for not so loud or line in with bbox for loud concerts... Beside you have 4GB internal memory on the sony so donĀ“t need SD Card.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 06:02:28 PM by pafnuzzi »
Recorder: Sony PCM M10 red

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 10:27:27 PM »
However, if you're running digital in, there's nothing to adjust on the recorder - it takes the digital signal and records it, just like filling up a bucket with water.
... unless it's a minidisc recorder such as the RH-1 which resamples the digital input and allows you to change the level.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 07:52:05 PM »
Grab the $75 dollar H120 in the earlier post that is hard to beat or just sit and watch yard sale and you will find a deck pop up for a price you are willing to pay.  Don't be trigger happy, everytime I have a better deal popped up shortly after.  Do your research, it will pay off!  Good luck
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline tekdroid

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 08:19:32 AM »
If anyone could give me some input on the best decision to make/specific models/and other advice it would be greatly appreciated!!

Sony PCM-M10 will make you think long and hard about the future of MD recording.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 07:35:38 PM »
If anyone could give me some input on the best decision to make/specific models/and other advice it would be greatly appreciated!!

Sony PCM-M10 will make you think long and hard about the future of MD recording.

There is no future to MD.  SONY has stopped development of the platform.  The Hi-MD RH-1 is, however, an excellent recorder.  It fits easily into a shirt pocket, has on-the-fly adjustable volume levels, a great front end and good sound.  94 minutes of recording per disc pretty much covers a set.  Few musical groups are playing for more than an hour and a half in one sitting.  Even the best of them need a pee or smoke break.

I love my RH-1 because it is tiny - it fits entirely into my shirt pocket - and powerful.  That is a  sweet form factor. If good sound and tiny form factor are not the most important thing there are other choices.  There are a lot of virtues to be evaluated.  When I got the RH-1 there were no solid state recorders out there to speak of so my decision was easy.  I got it in  '02.          ;D
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com