Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problems with R4  (Read 13247 times)

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Problems with R4
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2007, 07:58:38 PM »
  What other thing could you try but replace the HDD?  That's the only replacable thing in the machine.

Totally agree with you Mark that the HD seems to be the easiest part to replace (aside from the work Chris and Doug do). 

My point as I have conveyed it to Chris via PM is that personally I find it irresponsible of anyone to just say to replace a hard drive without any reason other that it sounds like a good idea.

I know you had a bad experience with your unit of which i'm sure there are bound to be others.  It just seems to me that the replace hard drive answer is just alot of us guessing and not really knowing what the true problem is or where the problem is happening.  That is all i'm trying to get to the bottom of.  What is the true problem and where is the true part or section of the units that are causing or contributing to the problem.  Up until this point we still don't have an answer just alot of guesses.

dave, i don't get why you're waving this flag so fervently today?  edirol themselves don't have the definitive answer.  you've spoken with ted rosen recently, and you correctly assessed that he knows what he's doing.  he's as stumped as any of us as to why this is happening, but brainstorming with him one night about potential solutions to the issue, he said something along the lines of "of course a larger disk cache might help the problem -- the unit has more wiggle room!" but he stopped short of recommending that i hack the unit myself, as i'm sure he can't advise customers to do such things.

my r4 had the HDD SLOW issue a few times, but only in situations where it was directly attributable to excessive vibration caused by louder-than-bombs bass notes.  have you seen the verbage in the literature about padding the unit, wrapping it in a towel and so-forth?  that came directly out of my first conversation with ted back in 2005 when we were grasping at straws about the issue.  i'm surprised it stuck, because it doesn't seem the most professional suggestion in the handbook of a $2000 device, but whatever...

now granted, a lot of user anecdotes can't be explained away by vibrations.  (most notably, skalinder's 4x1 24/48 condition reproducible on his unit.)  but mine was, and this also seems the case with many others.  when the disc is clearly not writing data due to vibration, how can you question those of us suggesting that enlarging the cache might solve the problem?  the cache is volatile storage where data goes before physically committed to the hd platters.  i'm thinking you aren't understanding the issue entirely because you quickly mentioned the pre-roll buffer vis a vis the HD cache in this thread.  the pre-roll buffer is not the same thing as HD cache at all.  further, it is also user-selectable on the original r4.

i'm also questioning your adamant supposition that a 2MB cache is *PLENTY* for 24/96 x 4.  have you done the math?  not that i i have either, but how many seconds exactly does that buy you at 24/96 x4?  not a whole lot.  if it were indeed *PLENTY*, the HDD SLOW issue wouldn't happen.  it's really as simple as that.

(again, there do seem to be cases where HDD SLOW isn't vibration-rooted.  i don't know how to address those ... but again, neither does edirol.)

regarding "What facts led you to that conclusion?" -- please realize we're still dealing with the bleeding edge here.  none of us, again including edirol, have a lot of facts about the issue.  it's not wrong to make a suggestion, even based on a hunch.  after all, i can't remember anyone stating fact-like, that the HDD SLOW issue would definitively disappear if the HDD were upgraded.  no, we're all just amateur scientists here probing around in the dark for the truth.

for me, it was pretty self-apparent that increasing the cache might help the issue.  the stock drive was obviously chosen by the manufacturer to keep the unit at a certain price point -- you can't really deny that logic.  a couple of years into the life of the unit, 8mb cache drives come down in price considerably, so tech-savvy end-users are doing the right thing and rolling the dice on a component that coulda/woulda/shoulda been in there from the get-go.

so far, my dice-rolling has paid off perfectly.  but i'd also never assume one person's anecdotal evidence makes for a hardened scientific truth.... so take my 100% happy-thus-far experiences with a grain of salt if you must.   :P

and finally, +t to you because i'm remembering your wide-eyed joy when you saw my r4 for the first time last fall!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2007, 08:27:12 PM »
i'm also questioning your adamant supposition that a 2MB cache is *PLENTY* for 24/96 x 4.  have you done the math?  not that i i have either, but how many seconds exactly does that buy you at 24/96 x4?  not a whole lot.  if it were indeed *PLENTY*, the HDD SLOW issue wouldn't happen.  it's really as simple as that.

Feeling a bit math-challenged at the moment, but giving this one a go.  :)

16.5 MB per track-minute at 24/96 * 4 tracks = 66 MB per 4-ch minute at 24/96

2 MB cache / 66 MB per 4-ch minute at 24/96 = 0.03 minutes per 4-ch minute at 24/96

0.03 4-ch minutes at 24/96 * 60 sec / min = 1.8 4-ch seconds per 2 MB cache

So...a total of 1.8 sec of buffer in the 2 MB on-HDD cache at 24/96.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2007, 08:27:54 PM »

now granted, a lot of user anecdotes can't be explained away by vibrations.  (most notably, skalinder's 4x1 24/48 condition reproducible on his unit.)  but mine was, and this also seems the case with many others.  when the disc is clearly not writing data due to vibration, how can you question those of us suggesting that enlarging the cache might solve the problem?  the cache is volatile storage where data goes before physically committed to the hd platters.  i'm thinking you aren't understanding the issue entirely because you quickly mentioned the pre-roll buffer vis a vis the HD cache in this thread.  the pre-roll buffer is not the same thing as HD cache at all.  further, it is also user-selectable on the original r4.

are you saying that the only buffer (sans hd) is the pre-roll? b/c i have been searching hard since it was posted, and i can't find ANY buffer besides the pre-roll listed on anything.  and you are correct, the pre-roll buffer ONLY captures data and appends it to the beginning of the file.  I cannot find any other buffer listed (if someone has a link, i would love to see it please).

and as far as the math...stereo 24/96 = 4.39MBit/Sec so if you are recording 2x stereo then you are at 8.87MBit/second which is 1.10875MB/sec... over half of the 2MB HD buffer.  possibly not more than another buffer, but i can't find that...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 08:30:27 PM by RaZoRbAcK »
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2007, 08:44:39 PM »

Feeling a bit math-challenged at the moment, but giving this one a go.  :)

16.5 MB per track-minute at 24/96 * 4 tracks = 66 MB per 4-ch minute at 24/96

2 MB cache / 66 MB per 4-ch minute at 24/96 = 0.03 minutes per 4-ch minute at 24/96

0.03 4-ch minutes at 24/96 * 60 sec / min = 1.8 4-ch seconds per 2 MB cache

So...a total of 1.8 sec of buffer in the 2 MB on-HDD cache at 24/96.

That math works for me.  1.8 sec of HD buffer sounds right as well.   Also take into account the internal buffer of the unit (pre-roll as Razorback is referring to it).  That buffer is at least 4MB probably 8MB on the regular R4. 

If the HD has a full buffer then the internal buffer fills up to compensate until the HD buffer is clear.  That would leave you with a reserve of 3.6/7.2seconds (4MB/8MB) for the HD buffer to clear itself.  The sustainable not burst write speeds for hard drives of this size and rotational speed are 60-70 MB/sec with a buffer to disc data speed of over 400 MB/sec.  This eliminates the buffer speed theory and brings it back to the vibration/sound pressure theory.

I guess the point i'm trying to make here is that the problems associated with HDD Slow seem to be from vibration and sound pressure and not from the buffer.   When the majority of people that report problems with the R4/R4 Pro and then have follow-up be "replace the hard drive" I find that to be irresponsible.  There is absolutely NO proof that the buffer is the culprit.  None just an easy response to a problem to say its the drive. 

Is it possible that a different drive may handle vibrations better?  Sure.  But to say that a faster or bigger drive will do it just isn't right and i'm sure would depend on specific models anyways.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2007, 08:53:01 PM »

If the HD has a full buffer then the internal buffer fills up to compensate until the HD buffer is clear. 

can you show me where you find this?  I honestly can't find it anywhere.

thanx

bj

also...sleepy called it the pre-roll  ;D

Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2007, 08:54:16 PM »
Vibration = HDD can't write data= buffer fills up= HDD slow

therefore  HDD bigger buffer = more space to hold data while the vibrations stop long enough for the hard drive to get back to writing data
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2007, 12:15:07 AM »
Hm, if its really vibration caused, those 64GB flash based drives from SanDisk should swap in directly and eliminate the problem entirely..

Besides Chris, you didn't have problems in the Crystal Ballroom during that RRE show  ;D

..and the floor was bouncing at least 6 inches for most of the night!  :o

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2007, 12:51:02 AM »
just another reason why I run an 8GB CF card :)

i didnt like reading this thread for the simple fact that I always wanted an r-4 for my 4-mic setups, but after reading this thread, not so much. especially after hearing about rolands customer service :(
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2007, 01:02:19 AM »

i didnt like reading this thread for the simple fact that I always wanted an r-4 for my 4-mic setups, but after reading this thread, not so much. especially after hearing about rolands customer service :(

Keep in mind:

• The squeaky wheel gets noticed.  There are likely plenty of R-4 owners who've never had a problem.
  • Some of us have experienced very positive customer support.
  • Only one person in this thread (whose unit was out of warranty) indicated unhappiness with customer support (and maybe one other person in another thread?  dunno...not necessarily keeping track of every single one).
Roland R-05

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2007, 02:03:17 AM »

Keep in mind:

• The squeaky wheel gets noticed.  There are likely plenty of R-4 owners who've never had a problem.
  • Some of us have experienced very positive customer support.
  • Only one person in this thread (whose unit was out of warranty) indicated unhappiness with customer support (and maybe one other person in another thread?  dunno...not necessarily keeping track of every single one).

+T, great points Brian!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2007, 02:22:45 AM »

Keep in mind:

• The squeaky wheel gets noticed.  There are likely plenty of R-4 owners who've never had a problem Yet.
  • Some of us have experienced very positive customer support when our unit malfunctoned after less than a month.
  • Only one person in this thread you can say my name(whose unit was out of warranty by barely a month) indicated unhappiness with customer support (and maybe one other person in another thread?  dunno...not necessarily keeping track of every single one).

Fixed that for you.  It only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch.  Look at that R4 that's for sale in YS.  Has the reverse polarity thing.  Seems some folks (at least one) aren't aware of that issue.  That's not good.  I might also throw in not 2 weeks after I bought mine they lowered the price 200 and released the pro.  Frank and Jeff at Cascade are good friends and they knew nothing about it.  Lame communication with vendors as well.  Ya I'm bitter with Edirol, not the R4 but I have a right to be IMO.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2007, 03:11:27 AM »
  • The squeaky wheel gets noticed.  There are likely plenty of R-4 owners who've never had a problem Yet.

Same could be said for any piece of gear.  There's always the possibility of problems arising with any high-tech gear.

• Some of us have experienced very positive customer support when our unit malfunctoned after less than a month.

Every new high-tech device, especially first generation like the original R4, has hiccups along the way.  The R4 isn't an exception.  No surprises here, and par for the course.

• Only one person in this thread you can say my name(whose unit was out of warranty by barely a month) indicated unhappiness with customer support (and maybe one other person in another thread?  dunno...not necessarily keeping track of every single one).

Didn't intend to hide your name, it's right here in the thread.  I'd be pissed, too.  That's poor customer service in my book, forget the strict deadline.  Not terribly surprising, though, dealing with a large, primarily consumer, electronics manufacturer.  I'd expect better from a company focused primarily on pro gear, like Sound Devices, but not from a company like Edirol.  One's response to issues like this often have to do with one's expectations up front, and I think expecting top-notch customer service out of a primarily consumer product company - and one that doesn't deal with gear that achieves massive adoption throughout the broader population (for example, like Apple) - isn't realistic.

Look at that R4 that's for sale in YS.  Has the reverse polarity thing.

Yup, that's my old unit.  Easy workaround, and easy warranty fix.  It's described in detail here on TS, and on the Edirol support site.  I bring it up on every R4 sale I see to ensure people know about it.  If people aren't aware of it, it's because they're either not paying attention or aren't looking for that level of detail (a simple search for keywords "R4" and "warranty" brings the the issue to light).

I might also throw in not 2 weeks after I bought mine they lowered the price 200 and released the pro.

I got hurt by the price drop, too.  Sucks!  But so goes high technology gear - prices fluctuate (typically downwards) rapidly.  And of course Edirol didn't tell anyone about the price drop.  If I were in their shoes (a large consumer electronics company), I wouldn't have either.

Anyway...what it ultimately boils down to for me is trying to battle against the far-too-swift creation of not-very-factual conventional wisdom.  I'm trying to provide some perspective because people read one or two comments about someone having problem with a piece of gear, and all of a sudden they start perpetuating the myth that the gear's nothing but trouble.  Happens all the time here, and in both directions:  X is nothing but trouble, Y is the perfect device, etc.  Bean's comments reflect a perfect example of the former, and the kind of notion against which I'll continue to speak up.

In other words...as you continue to bring up your problems at nearly every opportunity (and I don't blame you for doing so), I'll continue to provide what I perceive as balance and perspective so people don't think the R4's a terrible unit and Edirol an awful company.  Nothing personal, and no hard feelings.  :)
Roland R-05

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2007, 04:25:17 AM »
You're totally spot on right Brian but ya I will continue to vent my anger.   >:D  And I really was a bigtime R4 fluffer in my day.  I believe if you search you'll find a post where I say I'd never buy a 744.  Waste of $$.  lol
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 04:26:48 AM by tapermark »

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2007, 07:52:38 AM »
No problems with my R-4. I've run it at 24/96, 2 x stereo in a very bass heavy environment without any issues. Sorry to hear that some of you are still having problems. Is it somehow serial number/build date related?

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2007, 07:56:31 AM »
I haven't had any problems with either of the R-4s I've owned.

I'm curious has any one with the r-4 pro ever experienced any problems? anyone ever heard of any problems with other r-4 owners?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.574 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com