Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Haven't taped in ages, now I want to tape Bob Dylan tomorrow  (Read 2767 times)

Offline Grandmeaulne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Haven't taped in ages, now I want to tape Bob Dylan tomorrow
« on: October 28, 2023, 01:10:59 PM »
Hey all, thanks for accepting me.

I used to tape quite a bit during the 2000s, but less so, as i often felt the stress associated with keeping an eye on my gear took away from my enjoyment of many shows, plus the fact most artists I used to tape now release their own soundboards on Nugs net an similar, where I'm a subsriber

Metal detectors that arrived everywhere in recent years for any shows also discouraged me from taking in gears.

But tomorrow, I'm seeing Bob Dylan at the Place des Arts in Montreal.  It's a classic/opera house without much in terms of security.

And yet I just received an email saying that there would be metal detectors at the door, and that phones would have to be kept in a pouch

My question, to Dylan tapers, how do I get my Edirol 05 inside?  I see many did, in this tour. 

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Haven't taped in ages, now I want to tape Bob Dylan tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 06:55:46 AM »
I like Bob Dylan. I was at his concert a few years ago. I also record very little and I was also worried about how to get the microphones through security. I hid the small microphones in my pocket and showed the recorder to the security guard and said it is an mp3 player. Everything was alright. I think Dylan and his management tolerate amateur recording, they don't go after it harshly.

What bothers them, and I agree with them one hundred percent, is filming on a mobile phone. This is very distracting not only to the person filming, but also to the surroundings. What I also like about Dylan is that he doesn't use screens and distracting effects. His performances are very intimate with very simple lighting. Nothing distracts.  That is rare nowadays. I remember when they installed screens at my favorite little club. At that time, I clearly saw a jump in the change of atmosphere. I still don't understand it, but unfortunately these things have become standard in our time.

Dylan also doesn't want a photo shoot. My friend had an old ordinary camera with her. Security barred her from entering. I had to hide the camera under a small alcove in front of the hall before entrance.

I'm from Europe and here recording is not taken that seriously, more like a geek hobby. It is possible that in the States, if you show the Edirol to the guards, they will be much stricter on you. But I would not be afraid of that. Edirol is not expensive and if they give trouble I would put it back in the car or you can hide it in the foyer and pick it up after the concert.

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 04:23:50 PM »
My question, to Dylan tapers, how do I get my Edirol 05 inside?  I see many did, in this tour.
If they're looking for a phone, hand them a phone.

Offline Grandmeaulne

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 11:56:41 PM »
I like Bob Dylan. I was at his concert a few years ago. I also record very little and I was also worried about how to get the microphones through security. I hid the small microphones in my pocket and showed the recorder to the security guard and said it is an mp3 player. Everything was alright. I think Dylan and his management tolerate amateur recording, they don't go after it harshly.

What bothers them, and I agree with them one hundred percent, is filming on a mobile phone. This is very distracting not only to the person filming, but also to the surroundings. What I also like about Dylan is that he doesn't use screens and distracting effects. His performances are very intimate with very simple lighting. Nothing distracts.  That is rare nowadays. I remember when they installed screens at my favorite little club. At that time, I clearly saw a jump in the change of atmosphere. I still don't understand it, but unfortunately these things have become standard in our time.

Dylan also doesn't want a photo shoot. My friend had an old ordinary camera with her. Security barred her from entering. I had to hide the camera under a small alcove in front of the hall before entrance.

I'm from Europe and here recording is not taken that seriously, more like a geek hobby. It is possible that in the States, if you show the Edirol to the guards, they will be much stricter on you. But I would not be afraid of that. Edirol is not expensive and if they give trouble I would put it back in the car or you can hide it in the foyer and pick it up after the concert.

Wow, i followed your advice and it worked perfectly.  So weird.  60+crowd put through this.  I used the built-it microphone though, in my shirt pocket.  i was fourth row almost center.  sound is beautfiul    Pointing at the stacks above my head

recording level could used tuning and a little boosting.  i need to learn the basics of Audacity

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 01:25:44 PM »
I'm so excited. Due to this thread, I was checking out tickets to tonight's show at Schenectady NY, my hometown. kindms noticed the website went from sold out to 2 available. I called the box office and am now seeing the show from center orch row E, about 15 rows from stage!

@Grandmeaulne- is this solo or with a band?
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 02:15:04 PM »
I'm so excited. Due to this thread, I was checking out tickets to tonight's show at Schenectady NY, my hometown. kindms noticed the website went from sold out to 2 available. I called the box office and am now seeing the show from center orch row E, about 15 rows from stage!

Hope you guys are rolling.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 02:40:21 PM »

scheming  >:D
music IS love

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2023, 02:59:30 PM »

Bob is currently touring with his band.

Bob Dylan - piano, harp
Tony Garnier - electric and standup bass
Jerry Pentecost - drums
Bob Britt - acoustic guitar, electric guitar
Doug Lancio - acoustic guitar, electric guitar
Donnie Herron - violin, electric mandolin, pedal steel, lap steel

Setlist spoilers can be seen here:
https://www.boblinks.com/dates.html#102923
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2023, 03:12:48 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THank YOu!
music IS love

Offline Grandmeaulne

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2023, 03:37:04 PM »

Full band, with Dylan on piano high on the mix.

Offline Grandmeaulne

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2023, 03:41:34 PM »

I did, and it sounded great. Will soon upload.  I have been going to Dime for the past ten years.  Is there a new destination?  A new standard?  Like i said, haven't taped in years.  I'm a little rusted lol

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 05:09:09 PM »

Full band, with Dylan on piano high on the mix.
thanks. I am REALLY excited.
music IS love

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
    • http://www.midwestsoundsrecordings.com/
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2023, 05:10:11 PM »

Bob has not done a solo show in many years (1965 to be exact). His voice and the band are so good right now, I was bummed when they came to Milwaukee and I had to miss it. Debating tickets to the Indiana show in December and making the 8 hr drive.
AUD: Zoom H2
SBD: Tascam DR-60D

Make the best out of the equipment you have, something is better than nothing!

Midwest Sounds Recordings
North Country Sounds

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2023, 05:29:03 PM »
His voice? Really? I guess it is a matter of personal preference, but I am not a big fan of his voice. It's pretty whiny sounding and nasally to me. I appreciate his song writing very much, though. I have always said that I love other peoples performances of Bob's songs. That's part of the reason why music is so beautiful: there is something for every taste.

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2023, 05:54:22 PM »
His voice? Really? I guess it is a matter of personal preference, but I am not a big fan of his voice. It's pretty whiny sounding and nasally to me. I appreciate his song writing very much, though. I have always said that I love other peoples performances of Bob's songs. That's part of the reason why music is so beautiful: there is something for every taste.

What are you basing it off though? 50 years ago, or his show yesterday? If you don't like it, no problem, but his voice now sounds very different than it did even 5-10 years ago.

North Country Sounds

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2023, 08:12:55 PM »
Yes, worse! Just my opinion...

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2023, 10:58:33 PM »
JUst chiming in to say he played Truckin' tonight in Schenectady.      ;D
music IS love

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2023, 11:21:27 PM »
Dance Me to the End of Love in Montreal, love the tribute to Cohen.

North Country Sounds

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2023, 03:52:53 PM »
Grandmeaulne, I am glad that the recording was successful and that you are satisfied with it. If you need any advice regarding editing in Audacity, write, we will be happy to advise what we know.

Rocksuitcase, that's a very nice story of how you and Kindms got tickets to the concert. A Dylan concert is always a great experience for me. I hope you enjoyed it. Wow, Dylan was playing Trucking, that must have been great. I've never heard him play anything of the Grateful Dead.

Dan, I also love what Dylan is doing now. His voice is great to me. I also like his earlier style of singing. In Czechoslovakia, under Soviet occupation, he was also a symbol of freedom. And it was precisely because of his unique voice. That voice is not sweet, not pleasant, it is extremely original. Frank Zappa was another symbol of freedom here, also because he was far from sweet. But it's true that everything is subjective. It took me a long time to start enjoying Frank music.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2023, 10:15:44 AM »
Frank Zappa was another symbol of freedom here, also because he was far from sweet. But it's true that everything is subjective. It took me a long time to start enjoying Frank music.

I made a pilgrimage to see the Zappa statue in Prague. I have also seen the monument in Vilnius; a copy of that one was gifted to Baltimore (Zappa's birthplace).

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2023, 02:14:47 PM »
Thanks Aaronji, I didn't know Frank has a statue in Prague. You're right, Frank was very popular throughout all Eastern Europe. People who lived in totalitarianism understood him very well. I have a nice story. Frank arrived in Prague very soon after the Velvet Revolution. That was a beautiful time. He was asked and agreed with politicians and president that he would act as a Czechoslovakia ambassador in the USA. It looked like everything would work out, but Washington, led by George Bush Sr., refused it.

Frank was very smart. He said at the time that it is great that Eastern Europe had gained freedom, but that it is clear that after a certain period of time new problems would arise that would have to be overcome. That was very wise of him, because many people at that time looked to the future with euphoria. His motivation was to unite the countries and promote cooperation. He meant it very seriously, it was nothing naive or some kind of utopia.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 02:27:37 PM by kuba e »

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2023, 03:59:13 PM »
Grandmeaulne, I am glad that the recording was successful and that you are satisfied with it. If you need any advice regarding editing in Audacity, write, we will be happy to advise what we know.

Rocksuitcase, that's a very nice story of how you and Kindms got tickets to the concert. A Dylan concert is always a great experience for me. I hope you enjoyed it. Wow, Dylan was playing Trucking, that must have been great. I've never heard him play anything of the Grateful Dead.

Dan, I also love what Dylan is doing now. His voice is great to me. I also like his earlier style of singing. In Czechoslovakia, under Soviet occupation, he was also a symbol of freedom. And it was precisely because of his unique voice. That voice is not sweet, not pleasant, it is extremely original. Frank Zappa was another symbol of freedom here, also because he was far from sweet. But it's true that everything is subjective. It took me a long time to start enjoying Frank music.
Kuba,
I told the story wrong. I was on the phone with kindms, he lives two hours from me, I mentioned I would love to grab a single ticket for Dylan that night in my hometown. He goes online and tells me he sees two available. this was after I had been online all morning to "sold out". Sure enough, it worked, I got the single ticket for face value!

So I did go and enjoyed the evening immensely. This was only my 6th or 7th time seeing Dylan.

The Dylan heads told me Bob is playing three Grateful Dead songs on this tour, Truckin', Althea, and Stella Blue. Schenectady got the Truckin'. I sure was excited by that song which was played at the end of his set. He then played a two song encore. Listening back, it sounds pretty sweet for M10 internals.

Bob Dylan
October 30, 2023
Schenectady, NY
Proctors Theatre

1.    Watching The River Flow
2.    Most Likely You Go Your Way (and I'll Go Mine)
3.    I Contain Multitudes
4.    False Prophet
5.    When I Paint My Masterpiece
6.    Black Rider
7.    My Own Version of You
8.    I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
9.    Crossing The Rubicon
10.    To Be Alone With You
11.    Key West (Philosopher Pirate)
12.    Gotta Serve Somebody
13.    I've Made Up My Mind To Give Myself To You
14.    Truckin'
15.    Mother of Muses
--    Band introductions
16    Goodbye Jimmy Reed
17.    Every Grain of Sand

Bob Dylan - piano
Jerry Pentecost - drums
music IS love

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2023, 04:56:07 PM »
In 2023, Dylan has covered 4 Grateful Dead songs: Truckin', Brokedown Palace, West L.A. Fadeaway, Stella Blue, as well as Only a River by Bob Weir.

North Country Sounds

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2023, 10:42:53 AM »
Thanks Aaronji, I didn't know Frank has a statue in Prague. You're right, Frank was very popular throughout all Eastern Europe. People who lived in totalitarianism understood him very well. I have a nice story. Frank arrived in Prague very soon after the Velvet Revolution. That was a beautiful time. He was asked and agreed with politicians and president that he would act as a Czechoslovakia ambassador in the USA. It looked like everything would work out, but Washington, led by George Bush Sr., refused it.

Frank was very smart. He said at the time that it is great that Eastern Europe had gained freedom, but that it is clear that after a certain period of time new problems would arise that would have to be overcome. That was very wise of him, because many people at that time looked to the future with euphoria. His motivation was to unite the countries and promote cooperation. He meant it very seriously, it was nothing naive or some kind of utopia.

Yes, he was a real genius. I love a lot of his music, but it definitely is not for everyone! You should go see the sculpture and pay homage to the man! I have a photo somewhere; I will see if I can find it.

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2023, 07:13:53 PM »

Bob Dylan - piano
Jerry Pentecost - drums

I guess since nobody played Tambourine, he left that song out.

(I know...bad.)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 49 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com