Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR100mkii Review  (Read 136405 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DR100mkii Review
« Reply #195 on: February 14, 2012, 11:49:24 AM »
Has anyone posted m10 vs mk2 pics?   

Here's a pic of M10 vs Dr100mkii vs D50:
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #196 on: February 14, 2012, 01:54:07 PM »
Very helpful, thanks!

I wonder if they could have knocked an inch off by eliminating the speaker and mics up top?  I suppose the XLR's are up there and take a lot of room.

Can you open the Tascam up and take some shots of the guts?  :P

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #197 on: February 14, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
I wonder if they could have knocked an inch off by eliminating the speaker and mics up top?  I suppose the XLR's are up there and take a lot of room.

The xlrs are on the bottom aren't they?

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #198 on: February 14, 2012, 05:49:31 PM »

Yep.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #199 on: February 14, 2012, 05:59:05 PM »

Yep.

Oh, right.  It'll be interesting to see how they've packed things in there.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #200 on: February 14, 2012, 09:06:38 PM »

Can you open the Tascam up and take some shots of the guts?  :P

Sure. Just send me $330.  ;D
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline alpine85

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #201 on: February 15, 2012, 04:11:12 PM »
Well I picked one of these up last week, ran some tests at home (just to run a few tests & familiarize myself with it a bit) and then took it out for some real world festy experience this past weekend. 

A couple observations:

- Very logical and user friendly interface, menus, etc.   Display is great - I like the way it gives you a dB number for  the peaks every couple seconds AND has the peak light you can see from a distance.  The low/mid/high mic gain switch gives you a nice range.  I used the "mid" setting with the level between 4-6 on the knob most of the time

- Pres seem to be quiet and transparent.  Not quite as much so as the Oade R-44, but pretty damn good for a $300 unit.  Much better than the stock PMD-660 I had a while back.

- a little too easy to hit the 'STOP' button when bumping or handling it  (not a big deal, I just need to get in the habit of using the 'HOLD' function, which I should be doing even with the R-44)

- battery life is much better than I expected, after what I had read here.  I recorded a 2+ hour set running phantom and had 1 bar left on the Li-Ion.  It didn't switch over to the AAs until after listening to some stuff on the way home (probably another hour or so)

- it does NOT accept 24-bit from the Busman UA-5.  It DOES accept 16-bit, although that definitely limits its use as a bitbucket (until I can upgrade my preamp anyway).  I would be curious to know how it works with other pres / A/Ds
MICS: AKG CK-1/CK-63/CK-8/CK-22 --> AKG 460/JW460/JW452
CABLES: GAKcables and Mogami
PRES: Apogee Mini-Me, SD USBPre-2, Busman UA-5
RECORDERS: Oade R-44, Tascam DR-100-MKII, JB3

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #202 on: February 16, 2012, 07:50:52 AM »
I would be curious to know how it works with other pres / A/Ds

It works great with the Sound Devices USBPre2: SPDIF out. I get 24/96.

Offline drchen

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Love this community!
« Reply #203 on: February 16, 2012, 08:14:13 PM »
Well I picked one of these up last week, ran some tests at home (just to run a few tests & familiarize myself with it a bit) and then took it out for some real world festy experience this past weekend. 

- Pres seem to be quiet and transparent.  Not quite as much so as the Oade R-44, but pretty damn good for a $300 unit.  Much better than the stock PMD-660 I had a while back.

My first listen-back after doing a comparison: the V2-> AD2k-> Dr-100 mkii  was *way-way* better than using the stock DR-100 mkii's pre and a-to-d. But then I'm comparing apples and oranges, money-wise. So no big surprise here.

- battery life is much better than I expected, after what I had read here.  I recorded a 2+ hour set running phantom and had 1 bar left on the Li-Ion.  It didn't switch over to the AAs until after listening to some stuff on the way home (probably another hour or so)

In my experience, the internal Li-Ion batt does just OK, not great (I got 1:45:00 including phantom power to 2x Schoeps CCM4s). Its the AA's that are *terrible*: I got about 00:10:00 from the brand-new Lenmar 2500ma rechargable AA's before it switched to the internal Li-Ion (powering the CCM4s). I hope this is a Tascam firmware "fuel-gage" issue that will be fixed in a future firmware update, as I believe someone has stated that the DR-2d has been fixes in its 1.03 firmware version. 

- it does NOT accept 24-bit from the Busman UA-5.  It DOES accept 16-bit, although that definitely limits its use as a bitbucket (until I can upgrade my preamp anyway).  I would be curious to know how it works with other pres / A/Ds
[/i]
Thats a serious bummer!!! as I just bought a UA-5 off the YS just for the purpose running of 24/48 into the Dr-100mkii for my minimal-system. !
BTW, I had no problem with DR-100 mkii locking onto a AD2k at 24/48 the one time I tried. I think I had problems locking at 24/96 but that may have been human error--I'll check that again and report back.
thanks to everyone for sharing your experience/information on this new product.
Capturing live musical moments in time:-)

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #204 on: February 16, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »
I think I had problems locking at 24/96 but that may have been human error--I'll check that again and report back.

Make sure you have set the correct mode in order to record at 96 kHz. You must be in HS mode. See pages 25-26 of the manual:

"Mode selection

You can set the operation mode used for recording and playback.

Setting the mode

1.   While pressing the ENTER/MARK button press the button to turn the power ON and open the MODE SELECT screen.

STD (default) Standard mode for using WAV files with sampling frequencies of 44.1 or 48 kHz and MP3 files

HS Mode for using WAV files with sampling frequencies of 44.1, 48 or 96 kHz

2.   Use the wheel to select the mode to use, and press the ENTER/MARK button to confirm the setting. The unit will start in the selected mode.

NOTE: The selected mode setting is retained and will be used the next time the unit power is turned ON."
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:30:26 PM by dogmusic »

Offline drchen

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Love this community!
« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2012, 02:31:38 AM »
Thanks Dogmusic! 
I'm sure that was my problem because I definitely did not put it into HS mode.
Capturing live musical moments in time:-)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #206 on: March 07, 2012, 07:12:17 PM »
Just finished reading all the pages here.
Wow.
Fantastic review, covered most every question I could have!

I was just noticing that the the cost of R-44s is now up to almost what Doug charges for one he's modded:

http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/hard_disc_recorders/upgrades.html

when I scrolled down to see that he does mods on the DR100.
do you think that also applies to the MKII?

I've been meaning to call him, but since I'm not ready to push the button any anything just yet, I haven't gotten around to it.
he lowest price I've found on these is $300, and if you add a $125 mod and some shipping, that's pretty good.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #207 on: March 07, 2012, 07:19:37 PM »
The DR100 mkII with the concert mod would be a nice deck.  Also has the Digi input.

Edit:  I emailed Oade and he isn't going to mod the DR100 mkii
Just finished reading all the pages here.
Wow.
Fantastic review, covered most every question I could have!

I was just noticing that the the cost of R-44s is now up to almost what Doug charges for one he's modded:

http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/hard_disc_recorders/upgrades.html

when I scrolled down to see that he does mods on the DR100.
do you think that also applies to the MKII?

I've been meaning to call him, but since I'm not ready to push the button any anything just yet, I haven't gotten around to it.
he lowest price I've found on these is $300, and if you add a $125 mod and some shipping, that's pretty good.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:40:22 AM by jmbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #208 on: March 08, 2012, 05:34:25 PM »
Great review tonedeaf...it's good of you to break down the features for us, especially relative to the way we use stuff. Much obliged.
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #209 on: March 08, 2012, 09:16:17 PM »

I emailed Oade and he isn't going to mod the DR100 mkii

Too bad.
I was looking into it today and thinking that could be the perfect all-in-one with the mod.
once again, lost in all the noise

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com