Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR100mkii Review  (Read 135042 times)

Offline drchen

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Love this community!
Re: Tascam DR100mkii Review
« Reply #255 on: July 02, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »
FWIW, I just verified that the DR-100 mkII digi-in will lock on to the digi-out from an SD722 at 24/48 and at 24/96, but only if digital out format of the SD722 is set to "Consumer", not "Professional" (accessable via the 722's menu).
Capturing live musical moments in time:-)

Offline pine_tree

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #256 on: July 10, 2012, 03:06:19 PM »
If anyone is interested, here is a recording I made of Galactic this past weekend with the DR100MKII.   Mics were internal UNI.  This time I had the input level set to 5.  Limiting switch OFF.  I can't remember what the gain switch was set to, but I think it was MED.   I recorded the entire show using the AA batteries and those provided plenty of juice for the 90 minute set without switching over to the backup power.  I think it sounds very good--but again, I am only using the internal UNI mics right now until I can afford some better CA14s or similar microphones.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imbH0nuW6Yg

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #257 on: July 13, 2012, 01:44:27 PM »
[Prices seem to have skyrocketed on the XP8000 (I bought mine for $40) but I would give it a positive review.   Make yourself or have one of our cable makers a USB to B cable and your good to go.

Bought one of these Energizer XP8000's, had a cable made by tgakidis and ran some tests this week.

I got about 7.5 hours of documented record time with 48v phantom power on (powering a pair of AT405x's) using only this external battery. I removed all other batteries though, so when the recorder shut down it left that last file as an unrecoverable 0kb wav file. So I don't know the actual record time as that file could have theoretically been any length up to 2h 15m. Combined with the internal li-ion (which I got about 2 hours ) and a pair of AA's I feel confident I could get 10 hours of record time before needing to recharge. Not gonna cut it for anything more than a single day festival but it's way better than I was getting out of the BP-6AA.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:46:22 PM by ashevillain »

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #258 on: July 17, 2012, 02:24:09 PM »
Oade might start modding these!!  He said, that he is waiting to make sure they don't have issues like the original DR100. 

Just got my dr100mk2 modded by busman. I should get it back tomorrow. And once I get a pull I report in.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #259 on: July 17, 2012, 02:33:40 PM »
Oade might start modding these!!  He said, that he is waiting to make sure they don't have issues like the original DR100. 

Just got my dr100mk2 modded by busman. I should get it back tomorrow. And once I get a pull I report in.

Doug told me he had no plans to offer mods for the MKII and recommended that I get rid of it and find an original DR-100. Didn't mention any problems with the original and, in fact, said the original was the better deck of the two for all-in-one concert recording.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #260 on: July 17, 2012, 02:36:48 PM »
Here is the email I got from Doug!

John, I'm waiting to be sure it trouble free the original DR100 was 
really buggy and Tascam changed one of the PC boards so it's a 
question mark. Tascam does sell parts for any deck, they don't track 
by serial number so I'll be upgrading any DR100MKII as I do now. I 
expect it to be a few months or more before I decide.
thanks...Doug

Doug told me he had no plans to offer mods for the MKII and recommended that I get rid of it and find an original DR-100. Didn't mention any problems with the original and, in fact, said the original was the better deck of the two for all-in-one concert recording.

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #261 on: July 17, 2012, 02:43:33 PM »
^ oh well, I guess he's losing his memory or something. That's pretty much the exact opposite of what he told me.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #262 on: July 17, 2012, 02:53:07 PM »
That is strange!!  I don't own one, but though a concert mod on one would make a nice all in one. 

^ oh well, I guess he's losing his memory or something. That's pretty much the exact opposite of what he told me.

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #263 on: July 17, 2012, 04:19:01 PM »
a concert mod on one would make a nice all in one. 

I agree, it would. After running the MKII for a few more shows, I'm actually not as discouraged with it as I was at first. When using the internal pre, the noise floor is a bit higher than most people would like but it's not terrible if the music is loud. I can see how it wouldn't be good for acoustic music or anything that needs a lot of gain. A concert mod seems like it would take care of the noise issue. Other than the noise floor I think the MKII pre sounds great for the price.

(in other words, it's not so bad that I would spend double the price on a used PMD 661...really the only upgrade that I see as worthwhile for an all in one would be to a DR-680 or R-44)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 04:21:31 PM by ashevillain »

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #264 on: July 20, 2012, 10:50:22 PM »
a concert mod on one would make a nice all in one. 

I agree, it would. After running the MKII for a few more shows, I'm actually not as discouraged with it as I was at first. When using the internal pre, the noise floor is a bit higher than most people would like but it's not terrible if the music is loud. I can see how it wouldn't be good for acoustic music or anything that needs a lot of gain. A concert mod seems like it would take care of the noise issue. Other than the noise floor I think the MKII pre sounds great for the price.

(in other words, it's not so bad that I would spend double the price on a used PMD 661...really the only upgrade that I see as worthwhile for an all in one would be to a DR-680 or R-44)

Glad you two are becoming friends.
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline phaedarus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #265 on: August 20, 2012, 10:04:13 AM »
Your review of the DR100 Mk 2 is much appreciated.

I've been looking to get my hands on my very first portable recorder for some time but have held off from purchasing Sony's M10 due to:

1. The lack of directional mics. I don't plan to purchase any external microphones so not having UNIs was a deal breaker for me.

2. No rechargeable battery pack. Being forced to use only AA batteries increases the total cost of ownership; I don't care how long batteries last in a Sony M10 - if it isn't an eternity than it's too short. An hour for a single session is good enough for me so I have no need for extra batteries other than as an emergency backup.

Looks like the DR100 Mk2 may just be the ticket. Now if only I can find a good deal on one.

They cost $450 plus 13% sales tax in Canada which is ridiculous!

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
« Reply #266 on: August 20, 2012, 11:08:18 AM »
It doesn't help since the M10 won't meet your needs on the internal mics, but the increased cost of ownership shouldn't be too high.  At least in the U.S., we can pick up from both Energizer and Duracell (and probably a lot of other brands) a rechargeable AA battery charger and 4 rechargeable NiMH AA batteries for $20. 

Since 2 of the AA's will run the M10 for 30+ hours, you'd wouldn't even need the other 2 AA batteries you buy in the set.  So you'd have a new set of AA batteries for you favorite TV remote along with the batteries you need for the M10 for $20. 

The DR100 mkII might be just what you're looking for.  Another option might be the Sony D50, which is the big brother to the M10.  Unlike the M10 though, the D50 has directional mics, with the option of 90 degree and 120 degree placement.  You can often pick them up used on ebay for $350 or so.  Plus the $20 for the AA charger and batteries of course.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #267 on: August 20, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »
The lack of directional mics. I don't plan to purchase any external microphones so not having UNIs was a deal breaker for me.

If you're not planning on using P48 externals, you can find something considerably smaller, and cheaper, with directional internal mics.  Maybe one of the Olympus models, for example.

They cost $450 plus 13% sales tax in Canada which is ridiculous!

There's one in the Yard Sale right now (http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=157657.0)...

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #268 on: August 20, 2012, 11:39:26 AM »

Today's W00t is for 72 AA Alkaline(*) batteries for $15 + $5 shipping.  If my Minnesota math is correct, that should get you nearly 1100 hours of recording time for USD$20.00.

That would keep me running for a while. 

* - Best if used by 2018
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
« Reply #269 on: August 20, 2012, 12:10:12 PM »
And nothing against going the woot route, but a 4x AA NiMH + charger set for $20 should give you about 15,000 hours of record time.  Assuming only 300 charge cycles, when NiMH generally provide 400-500 cycles, and the two sets of 2x AA's you need for the M10.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.133 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com