Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR100mkii Review  (Read 136001 times)

Offline phaedarus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Tascam DR100mkii Review
« Reply #270 on: August 21, 2012, 06:05:03 AM »
Hmm, my experience with rechargeable batteries (which was a long time ago) wasn't the best. Everything from diminished capacity after several recharges, fluid leaks (which could damage the unit) and overall reliabilityh as led me to view them with suspicion. The fact that the DR100 MK2 has a battery pack specifically designed for it does give me piece of mind. Rechargeable batteries may have improved since although I only use batteries for the TV remote and fire alarm (I had no idea Energizer now sells rechargeable batteries! That seems to go against their business model of profiting off of consumables.)

You're both right that there are deals to be had - but only if you live in the United States. Here in Canada, ordering from the US doesn't give us much of a discount after paying the 13% sales tax (Ontario) and the tariffs imposed upon Customs Canada; even for used items. This is the reason why cross-border shopping is so popular among Canadians because the savings, especially for everyday items like groceries and clothing, are pretty significant. Unfortunately, I'm not among those who live close to the border to be able to take advantage of it.

I've tried searching high and low on ebay and craig's list for used units like Sony's PCM-DB50 but there are almost none to be found. It seems no one here sells their sony digital recorders which, I guess is a testament to how good they are. On the rare occasion that I do stumble upon one, it's priced similar to retail; perhaps on the assumption that the seller thinks he or she is doing you a favor by saving on taxes.

To get an idea on the vast price differences we pay, despite the fact that the USD and CND are pretty much on par with each other, here's a Visteka.com and Musiciansfriend.com comparison:

http://vistek.ca/search/sony%20pcm.aspx

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?sB=r&question=sony+pcm

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #271 on: August 21, 2012, 10:59:21 AM »
FWIW, my experience many years back was that NiCD batteries were pretty useless.  NiMH batteries are much better, and to me, the latest "pre-charged" NiMH batteries (aka, low self discharge NiMH, hybrid NiMH, ready-to-use NiMH -- which started with the Sanyo Eneloops) are great.

About 10-12 years ago, I picked up some NiMH AA's and a battery charger from Radio Shack.  Lasted about two charges, maybe a bit more.  The problem isn't/wasn't with the batteries but instead with crap chargers. 

Right after that, I picked up a high quality charger from thomasdistributing.com.  Since then, for the past 10 years, my experience has been great.  I don't know whether the Duracell and Energizer chargers are crap too.  Probably that is their new business model -- get people to try rechargeable AA's with their crap charger, the batteries won't last at all, and then people will say rechargeable batteries are crap, I'm sticking with my disposable alkaline AAs.

As much as I said that Duracell and Energizer battery/charger combos were widely available (to make life easy), I really personally would recommend getting something like a MAHA smart charger from thomasdistributing (which are only $15 or so) and a set of 4 NiMH AAs for another $10.  It would be $25 well spent, and probably much better than the Energizer brand.

Also, fwiw and ymmv, but I think NiMH is a much more reliable, robust, and durable rechargeable battery technology compared to the Li-ion or Li-poly rechargeables that are used in the DR100 mkII.  Li-ion and esp Li-poly are much more prone to failure.  Though again, a good charging circuit probably helps loads, and the DR100 may have that.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #272 on: August 21, 2012, 03:00:16 PM »
I've found that it is a good idea to at least upgrade the charger that comes with the batteries every once in awhile, they did in fact suck before and they are getting better. You do have to pay attention to what you are doing and NiMH treat you righteously. You have to put two fairly well discharged batteries in at a time and make sure that you see the light go on and stay on for a good long while (but if they don't turn off by the next day you may have trouble as well, could be the charger or the batteries). I haven't ever had one leak yet and if they are properly charged they may actually go to the rated 1.45 Ah which is way better than standard alkaline.
NIMH are recyclable, which alkalines aren't. With an M10, there's no reason not to use NiMH at all. Really. Unless you like to poison your descendants on principle, which I know some do.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #273 on: August 23, 2012, 11:05:07 AM »
Also, fwiw and ymmv, but I think NiMH is a much more reliable, robust, and durable rechargeable battery technology compared to the Li-ion or Li-poly rechargeables that are used in the DR100 mkII.  Li-ion and esp Li-poly are much more prone to failure.  Though again, a good charging circuit probably helps loads, and the DR100 may have that.

I was under the impression that the lithium polymers are substantially more robust than the lithium ions at this point.  The reliability is good too, I think (they use them in a ton of portable electronics and cordless tools).  I guess the important thing is that the device and charger are designed for them (like having a good cut-off circuit)...

I am also a big fan of the low self-discharge NiMHs, though.  As you mentioned, they're a large step up from previous types.  And another great thing about "standard" size NiMHs, like AAs, is that if you forget them/forget to charge them/lose one/etc., you can probably find some alkalines without too much trouble.

Offline hermannhesse70

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #274 on: August 31, 2012, 10:00:47 AM »
Hey guys - couple questions concerning the MKII:

Anybody had any problems using the LINE 2 for mics (I'm using CA-14)?  For the last few months I've been using the mics with a PFA w/the XLR and all has been well.  Only complaints given I have to use the high gain settings for the field recording I've been doing with the budget mics is that there is a bit of noise, but not unacceptable.  I was also questioning battery life using the phantom power with PFA vs. with a battery box. All of a sudden I decided to try the LINE 2 input with the mics, first with no battery box and got absolutely nothing no matter what gain setting (H,L,M - wheel to 10), then with the battery box and still got VEEEERY little and only on all of the highest possible gain settings.  I have tried my CA-14 omnis and cards as well just to be sure that it wasn't the mics.  I was expecting that the mics would work okay even without the battery box, but what's up with the poor performance.  I fear the jack has been compromised somehow, OR - that I may be a total idiot  :).  Either way, I wish I had tested all features when I first bought the thing.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #275 on: August 31, 2012, 11:03:57 AM »
^^^  With line-in, you'll need to record something pretty loud to get decent levels.  Especially since I am under the impression that the CA14s are fairly low sensitivity.  If you want to make sure the jack is working properly, you could feed it a line level signal from a CD player or something...

Offline hermannhesse70

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #276 on: August 31, 2012, 11:21:54 AM »
^^^  With line-in, you'll need to record something pretty loud to get decent levels.  Especially since I am under the impression that the CA14s are fairly low sensitivity.  If you want to make sure the jack is working properly, you could feed it a line level signal from a CD player or something...

I guess REALLY loud.  I'm talkin' yelling into the mics with all gain options maxed out and barely getting anything.  I will run that test though, with a CD player, etc.  The mics operate as I assumed they would using the PFA and XLRs, and assumed it would work similarly through line 2 w/PIP or battery box, but this is worlds different.  Essentially, running these mics through a PFA and into the mic in XLRs should be virtually the same as with the line in plus battery box, I'd expect.  I really only got the PFA because set up and portability is tidier than taping/dangling a battery box for use with line 2.  Isn't the whole deal just properly powering the mics?  ...And yes, I got this unit vs. say, an M10 because of the XLR option, enabling me to use much better mics in the near future without having to use an external pre, etc..

OOooo, dang.  Back to me being a total noob/idiot.  Yeah... not LINE 2 not the same as mic in.  Oh well.  Live and learn.   ::)

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #277 on: September 07, 2012, 05:18:19 PM »
Late coming to this one, but really an excellent rundown of this recorder. I have one question.  The manual indicates that if using the digital input the sampling rate of the recorder must match the incoming signal's sample rate or you will receive an error. This leads me to believe that the recorder does not re-clock the incoming signal (bit -perfect recording). Has this been confirmed? I read all 19 pages and I if I missed this then of course my apologies for re-covering old ground. Thanks! :coolguy:
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #278 on: September 07, 2012, 06:04:46 PM »
The manual indicates that if using the digital input the sampling rate of the recorder must match the incoming signal's sample rate or you will receive an error.

If you haven't set the recorder into HS mode, you can't record at 96 kHz. [See manual page 25.]  That's even if you are recording with the internal mics, or line-in.

If your external digital equipment was outputting 96 kHz, but you were only in STD mode, you might get this error message.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline guyburns

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #279 on: September 09, 2012, 07:32:26 PM »
I like the look, functions, sound and price of this recorder, but… does it offer recording on a second channel that is reduced by a certain amount of dB, as offered by the DR-40 and PMD 661?

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #280 on: September 17, 2012, 04:00:01 PM »
Why not just run it at a reasonable level and then you don't have to sacrifice stereo recording? A completely useless feature if you ask me.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #281 on: September 19, 2012, 02:25:49 PM »
Why not just run it at a reasonable level and then you don't have to sacrifice stereo recording? A completely useless feature if you ask me.

I agree. Plus the PMD-661 does not have this feature in stereo. I think I read a post that it has this for mono, but that is a REALLY useless feature.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #282 on: March 10, 2013, 12:49:29 PM »
Has anyone had any experience using a dr-100mkii as a bit bucket in conjunction with a mini-me? I'd love to get feedback if so.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #283 on: March 10, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »
Bummed we never had a good line in comp - that I am aware of - vs. the m10.  Or vs. the 7x2.

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #284 on: March 10, 2013, 03:24:07 PM »
My experience was that the line in on the Tascam vs the input on a UA5 (digimod) was very similar. If that helps any as a point of reference.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com