Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol UA 25 Help/Questions???  (Read 2952 times)

Offline Corbin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Edirol UA 25 Help/Questions???
« on: November 09, 2005, 05:25:21 PM »
Has anyone out there used the UA 25 as a pre/adc???  Ive searched this website and archive.org and Ive only found one taping rig that contains a UA 25.  This is my first post but i understand why the UA 5 is preferred for its standalone use and Oade mods.  However, I need to get the UA 25 because it has MIDI capabilities that I need for home recording.  Im just setting up my first rig into a laptop (for now) but eventually I would like to use a JB3 or R1 (and my UA 25 would become useless for taping shows...bummer).  I know that the answer probably lies in spending more money but my budget is pretty much maxed at 250.  (Although I could be convinced to spend more if itll solve my problems)  So I guess my questions are:

What pre/adc could I use to record into a laptop, then progress to a JB3, has MIDI capabilities, and doesn't break the bank? (preferably USB)?

And more importantly, if I am going to buy this box, Has ANYONE (or anyone's cousin's brother-in law) used the UA 25 in the field?... I am very concerned about buying this because so few people use it.  I don't know if that's because everybody knows something that I don't or because lappy recording is on the decline?

Can I still do a matrix mix with the UA 25?

Is it confirmed that Doug Oade is not doing any mods in the future? Is he concentrating on the Firewire 410?

I know that this is a handful of questions but if anyone has any suggestions or clarrifications, they would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.          Adam

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol UA 25 Help/Questions???
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 06:41:19 PM »
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 06:44:40 PM »
Why not split devices by function - a UA5 for field recording and an inexpensive MIDI box for home recording?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 08:16:45 PM »
i don't ubnderstand how all this stuff works exactly BUT could you poss use a UA25 in the field now that ToddR can make a battery box that runs off a usb cable?

i don't know if its just powering it via the usb cable or if there is more to it
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Corbin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 08:26:56 PM »
Thanks for the links terrapinj,  Its too bad the UA 25 can't do matrix mixes.  Seems Edirol dropped the ball.

Brian,  I don't really want to split devices because I was originally going to use the UA 25 for home recording with keys, guitar,bass, MIDI, and vocals.  And I wanted to do it all in one box so everything synced.  Is the mod UA 5 still fully functional for these purposes (besides the MIDI)?  Or will the mod UA 5 not work properly with a laptop after the mod has been done?  I guess I should read the UA 5 FAQ more..

willndmb,  Id never heard of the ToddR battery box but Ill give it a search and try to figure all this out. 
Thanks for the help...

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 10:21:09 PM »
I believe that the bit/sample rate is by software control only unlike the UA5 which has a switch. Even if the UA25 could be powered, I don't think it would work without software.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 06:34:30 PM »
I believe that the bit/sample rate is by software control only unlike the UA5 which has a switch. Even if the UA25 could be powered, I don't think it would work without software.
i was just looking around at some stuff and saw, for what its worth, there is a sample rate switch on the back of the box
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com