Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Reinstalling Windows XP + Linux dualboot  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Reinstalling Windows XP + Linux dualboot
« on: June 20, 2008, 01:13:52 PM »
Allrighty. I just re-installed XP on my (not so) good ol' PC about 4 months ago, and everything is already FUBAR'd. I think this is mostly because I have a tendency to install new software to try (and then don't like it), and the install gets all bloated with crap and slows the whole thing down (it also freezes daily).

So, time to do it again. This time I'm thinking about taking a different approach. Here is my plan (feel free to comment on it):

1. Dual boot XP with the most current version of Ubuntu.
2. Use Ubuntu for my most common computing tasks (internet, downloading music, playback of music)
3. Use XP for my Windows specific needs (Sound Forge, MS Office, Photoshop)

An alternate to #3 is to keep the main install of XP free of any installed programs and running different Virtual Machine installs of XP optimized for different tasks (ie an Audio Editing Virtual Machine). Also I will certainly be trying any new programs in a VM in case they screw things up.

So, does this sound like a good idea. I have a feeling I will like Ubuntu more for basic tasks. I'd only run Linux if I didn't need Sound Forge, or Photoshop. I realize there are Linux alternatives to these programs, but I still prefer to use them (especially Photoshop because I am trying to master it for potential employment). It's also nice to not drop XP altogether because I am taking some computer classes and it's very handy to learn new things when it gets all f'd up (censoring my language for the dude that didn't like all those bad words we use here...wouldn't want anyone to go to hell or anything like that).

So, I'm just looking for advice on the best way to go about this (what OS do I install first? and other tips to make this go more smoothly).

Anyway...thanks in advance. Should be a fun afternoon or evening in my near future. I'm looking forward to running Ubuntu again (it's been a couple of years).

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Reinstalling Windows XP + Linux dualboot
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 03:26:01 PM »
if you go the route you're intending:  install windows, then install ubuntu.  (the XP installation will most definitely f\/ck up the bootloader if you install it after linux.)

on the windows front, i advise you give this a try:  install windows, get all vital applications and patches done.  then roll a ghost image (or use whatever imaging tool strikes your fancy).  anytime you'd like to go back to this mostly pristine state, it's there for you.

i went so far with my most recent reinstallation to download all patches to a removable drive, formatted the OS drive, reinstalled windows and got everything set exactly 'just so' with my OS without it ever even touching the internet.  that image is definitely a 'keeper' !

on the ubuntu front, i got all my keymappings set in Audacity so that it resembled soundforge as much as possible, yet i still couldn't get completely comfortable.  so like you, i'm still in XP-land for soundforge.  if anyone can cough up advice on breaking the soundforge habit, please share!

EDIT to add:  one last thought on the linux front.  i know the WINE project just hit the exalted version 1.0 milestone after so many years, so that might be the way we get to have our cake and eat it.  not sure how soundforge behaves under WINE, but i'm going to be experimenting with that later today.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:43:37 PM by sleepypedro »

Offline nickb

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 10:07:15 PM »
Why not just install Windows and virtualize the linux OS or Windows again for "trying" new shit?

With today's machine resources a virtual machine should be plenty for whatever it is you are doing.

Dual boots are nothing but a pain in the A, IMO.....

Virtual PC 2007 is free from Micro$oft, FWIW....

Edit:  I admit, I only read the first couple of lines of your original post.  Go the virtual route, it's quick, painless  and you can run linux and xp virtually.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 10:10:50 PM by nickb »
Mics: AKG ck1x ~> mk46 ~> c460b
Pre's & A>D's: Oade M148/AETA PSP-3/Apogee AD-500e
Decks: Edirol R-44/iRiver H120

ISO: AKG ck3x Caps

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 11:04:55 PM »
Part of the reason for doing this is to learn more about Linux and I think I can do that better by ONLY running it, except for when I need to run a Windows program.

Actually I already have Ubuntu loaded up in VM-Ware. My problem is that Windows gets so f-'d up that VM'Ware starts to run slow.

Eventually, I'd like to ween myself off of Windows altogether, but I don't think that will happen for a while. While there are Photoshop like programs for Linux, none are as nearly as good as Photoshop.

Thanks for the responses folks.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com