Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Making a matrix mix?  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Maemajamma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Making a matrix mix?
« on: January 05, 2006, 09:41:54 PM »
Anyone got any suggestions on what programs might be the best for mixing two sources?  Something fairly userfriendly.  I'm not an idiot, but I am lazy.  And something preferably that I can download.  But I'd go buy it if I had too.  Peace!!

kskreider

Re: Making a matrix mix?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 09:58:17 PM »
The search function works wonders for lazy people, but in the meantime I will recommend Wavelab. 

If you look around here you can find a link to a great workflow on how to do it.

Offline adubphoto

• Taperssection Regular
  • What happened?!
    • www.boymangodshit.com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 11:54:04 AM »
I like cubase for mixing a matrix.
Ret. Audio: Rode NT5's(rodents) > Omnistudio USB > Gateway5300> Cubase
Visual: Canon 30D // Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 // Canon 50mm f1.8 // Canon 70-200mm f2.8 // Canon 580EX

Aquarium Rescue Unit Flickr photo set | FLips Flickr photo set | GRAB Flickr photo set

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 12:10:09 PM »
There's also Adobe Audition, Audacity, Soundforge.  AFAIK, Audacity is the only free option.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 03:15:47 PM »
Samplitude.  It does everything!

Offline Maemajamma

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 10:47:04 AM »
Cool thanks for the input!

RebelRebel

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 11:33:37 AM »
Samplitude.  It does everything!

what he said. it is a powerful multitrack recording and mastering program. I use it for anything over 2 tracks now.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 12:34:27 PM »
Has anyone here tried making a SBD/AUD matrix "on the fly" with the audience microphone actually on stage facing the audience? Moe's engineer records their shows this way. This way I would avoid the sound delay from mic's out in the audience in front of the PA. I don't have omni's, so I'll be running cardioid's (C-481's). I'd like to capture a nice wide image of the audience, because I'm assuming the mix will not have a wide soundstage. I'm considering splitting the cardioids  :-\
I want to  do it this week. So, any help/advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 02:16:42 PM »
Has anyone here tried making a SBD/AUD matrix "on the fly" with the audience microphone actually on stage facing the audience?

We did this for the ACL festival 2 years ago? (maybe it was 3 years ago). The results were pretty good, these days I try to get as many sources as possible. There were some soundboard problems (or rather I had my cables in the wrong location) this past Sunday when I was recording the OSMF campground stage. I ended up mixing the two QTC-40 omni's on stage with my 4 mic rig in the audience (QTC-1 & SR-77) so the stage mics made up around 80% of the total mix. I did do this in post, but with a mixer you could do this on the fly. I use to carry around a Wendt X4 mixer to mix the omnis and cards with. Now everything gets run directly by the Deva and I make the mix later in Digital Performer.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline cfox

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 4channel Schoeps
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 06:18:40 PM »
Has anyone here tried making a SBD/AUD matrix "on the fly" with the audience microphone actually on stage facing the audience?

and I make the mix later in Digital Performer.

Wayne

could you tell us some of your steps in digital performer to mix these 4 channels...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 06:21:45 PM by charlesfox »
Schoeps cmc1k + cmc1k
mk41v, mk4v, mk22, mk21, mk8, mk2s
Sound Devices 833
m222>nt222
cmc6, vms5u, vms52, kc5, kcy, v3(m/s mod),
ad1000, HHb PDR1000, Sound Devices 744t, Sound Devices 833

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 01:36:47 PM »
could you tell us some of your steps in digital performer to mix these 4 channels...

Create 4 mono tracks (unless you have 2 stereo files, then you would create 2 stereo tracks), Pan each properly (L, or R 100%), then assign the output of that channel to a stereo subchannel. If I used 4 mics, then each mic would have it's own mono channel, those would go to two stereo subchannels, with the output of those going into a master fader channel. This way you have full control over each mic, and I put cards and omnis on their own sub-channel, so I get to mix those to my liking in the subchannel. With a soundboard, it's the same process, just more tracks.

Wayne

Edit: Maybe this picture will explain it better.... (FYI, in this case another submix is being made, all the mics are being fed into another channel (mics) which is used to blend the amount of mics vs. board in the final outcome).

« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 07:40:13 AM by wbrisette »
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com