Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H8 - The COVID Zoom  (Read 15074 times)

Offline RasBobre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • RasBobre Recordings
Re: Zoom H8 - The COVID Zoom
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2020, 12:00:05 AM »
As a stage manager for a venue that brings in many bands (pre-covid) that are open to recording for over 10 years, I am interested in the H8 for one reason only, the IOS app. Working at the stage, pushing record and walking away from the soundboard has always been a bit stressful and mistakes have been made. Being able to monitor on an iPad is what will sell me on this recorder with the Zoom BTA-1 Bluetooth Adapter. I know that this is possible with the Zoom F6/F8, but owning two H6's now and familiar with the interface and the lower pricing, I'll be checking out the H8.
Be not a dread.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2020, 12:26:21 AM »
As a stage manager for a venue that brings in many bands (pre-covid) that are open to recording for over 10 years, I am interested in the H8 for one reason only, the IOS app. Working at the stage, pushing record and walking away from the soundboard has always been a bit stressful and mistakes have been made. Being able to monitor on an iPad is what will sell me on this recorder with the Zoom BTA-1 Bluetooth Adapter. I know that this is possible with the Zoom F6/F8, but owning two H6's now and familiar with the interface and the lower pricing, I'll be checking out the H8.
the zoom app is very well implemented, imo
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline lerond

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2020, 02:03:40 AM »
Anyone else remember seeing the Ark II in a parking lot along Hwy 101 near Universal Studios in the late 70's/early 80's?
ain't no party like a katydid party
jumpin' and a hoppin' and singin' them songs!

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2020, 04:43:19 AM »
As a stage manager for a venue that brings in many bands (pre-covid) that are open to recording for over 10 years...

Ah, to see those words again!  "Stage Manager" - "Venue" - "Bands" - "Recording".... More seriously, life must be a bit tricky for you, so best wishes.

Offline RasBobre

• Taperssection Newbie
    • RasBobre Recordings
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2020, 07:12:57 PM »
Just a hiccup. The world will survive this and normality will return again someday. Until then, playing golf has become the priority. And a much deeper respect for my profession has ensued with me, my community and music lovers. Thanks Ozpeter!

As a stage manager for a venue that brings in many bands (pre-covid) that are open to recording for over 10 years...

Ah, to see those words again!  "Stage Manager" - "Venue" - "Bands" - "Recording".... More seriously, life must be a bit tricky for you, so best wishes.
Be not a dread.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2020, 03:27:11 AM »
That recorder is way to big to stealth, except by a couple professionals I hang with that could stealth a 24 track recorder.

For multitrack IEMs and ALDs plus audience, Or a 4 channel RF pull, the DR2D remains my go to unit. It’s 1/3rd the size and 3.5 TRS is way easier to deal with on a stealth basis.

My 2 other Zooms have really noisy A-D converters and are big and clunky with the screen and XLR inputs. With a cell phone app, the screen is a useless appendage.

The F8 is decent but I use it only for outside the venue pulls.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2020, 04:59:17 PM »
That recorder is way to big to stealth, except by a couple professionals I hang with that could stealth a 24 track recorder.

Can't do that consistently though, usually very sore for a few days afterwards. Zoom H8 might be a good middle ground.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2020, 04:35:23 PM »
Swollen anus?

Keestering recording gear is not on the list.

https://www.healthline.com/health/swollen-anus
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2020, 06:29:17 PM »
It's always that first push that's the hardest...

But can't beat having 24 tracks all aligned...
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2020, 05:09:34 PM »
Except for latency from wireless microphones and stage switches. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2020, 07:34:24 PM »
Even that's not much of a problem as long as the latency remains constant, just like AUD mics + direct SBD feed.  Sync is more critical than absolute time-alignment. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2020, 12:15:48 PM »
Even that's not much of a problem as long as the latency remains constant, just like AUD mics + direct SBD feed.  Sync is more critical than absolute time-alignment.

Agreed 100%.

But sometimes you get weird situations. Scooter and I did Adele a few years back, and they had different PA systems for the main and B stage. When they would transition between stages (1-2 times was mid-song), they would actually switch the PA. So aligning the audience recording (which had changing latency due to PA shift) with IEM recordings (which had no change) was a real trick. I was glad I saw the show--I'd have been really confused if somebody had just handed off the files to me to mix.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2020, 12:51:27 PM »
I was glad I saw the show--I'd have been really confused if somebody had just handed off the files to me to mix.

Totally!  Was the time shift the same between each stage transition? I suspect it would be. If so you could have two copies of AUD files in the editor with different alignments so you could switch back and forth between them without having to realign each time by muting the non active stage tracks and unmuting the active stage tracks.  Is that the way you ended up approaching it?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2020, 01:25:53 PM »
I was glad I saw the show--I'd have been really confused if somebody had just handed off the files to me to mix.

Totally!  Was the time shift the same between each stage transition? I suspect it would be. If so you could have two copies of AUD files in the editor with different alignments so you could switch back and forth between them without having to realign each time by muting the non active stage tracks and unmuting the active stage tracks.  Is that the way you ended up approaching it?

I think the transition was about the same each time, but it was really tricky figuring out the specific spots (especially if mid-song). I was able to use a 4 track pull which had the AUD plus an IEM as a reference, and then aligned the extra IEM tracks to the reference. After that, then cut the AUD at specific points where the transition happened and aligned.

Like I said, if I hadn't actually been to the show, I would have been very confused why the alignment would keep jumping all over the place.

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2020, 06:26:02 PM »
I think it was like 30ms something like that.  Significant even for my ears. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com