Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How much "warmer" is a W-Mod UA-5?  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Unitmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
How much "warmer" is a W-Mod UA-5?
« on: October 02, 2005, 11:59:01 PM »
I've got a digimod UA-5 and want to add some warmth to my setup. How much will I notice the difference? I saw the samples on the Oade page, but none comparing an unmodded UA-5, which gives me no real point of comparison.  Any thoughts?
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How much "warmer" is a W-Mod UA-5?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 12:05:34 AM »
Warmth is only part of the picture.  In addition to rounder and fuller bass, the W mod adds noticeable detail throughout the range.  I didn't run a digi v. W-mod comp directly, but even so the difference was readily apparent to me.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 10:09:11 AM »
Warmth is only part of the picture.  In addition to rounder and fuller bass, the W mod adds noticeable detail throughout the range.  I didn't run a digi v. W-mod comp directly, but even so the difference was readily apparent to me.

Yup.

Oade's W-Mods rule, IMO.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 02:45:42 PM »
I'll try to explain it as I hear it. The stock sounds a little steril to me, especially on say kick drums and low bass notes. The warm mod adds a little bit of roundness to the bottom end, the notes seem to have more depth and sustain. Then of course you get the oade sig. high end, very smooth and detailed on good systems. Realize that the modded units also require better playback gear to truly take advantage. I've heard the warm mod described as "muddy" by people who listen on car stereos and consumer grade playback gear, which is nonesense but I can see how they come to that conclusion.  I think all of Doug's mods offer a warmer sound from the stock, but the different flavors offer different emphasis with the coloration or lack there of with the Tmod.

Hope that helps a bit...

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 06:45:34 PM »
thanks guys!  I wish there was one in the gear loaner program to try out. I find my mics a bit much in the highs and think this might tame them. I'm happy with the bottom end, but hell, if it improves the sound I'm not complaining!

+T to you all.

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 07:13:05 PM »
Ultimately mics have the most impact on your sound. I don't think that changing to a wmod is going to totally change a characteristic of your mics that you don't like. I'd upgrade to a warmer sounding mic and you'll get a much more dramatic change in sound.

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 07:40:42 PM »
Ultimately mics have the most impact on your sound. I don't think that changing to a wmod is going to totally change a characteristic of your mics that you don't like. I'd upgrade to a warmer sounding mic and you'll get a much more dramatic change in sound.

good point about the mics, mics are the number one equipment factor.  However, IMHO the biggest factor is the actual sound venue/PA sound. If it sounds shitty in the room, it'll probably sound shitty on the recording.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 07:43:33 PM »
oh, I'm really happy with my mics.  i don't think I'd be able to find everything I enjoy about them now (value, size, switchable, etc.) plus warmth, without going for a MAJOR upgrade.  I'm just tweaking the system I guess.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 10:19:51 PM »
thanks guys!  I wish there was one in the gear loaner program to try out. I find my mics a bit much in the highs and think this might tame them. I'm happy with the bottom end, but hell, if it improves the sound I'm not complaining!

+T to you all.

Actually, I've run AT853rx - W-mod... if you look on the llama for Magnolia Electric Company, there's a tape up there (Detroit) that you could sample.

I think the W-mod seems to add a bit of color to cover crappy acoustics too...

Good luck, and + backatcha

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 12:10:10 AM »

good point about the mics, mics are the number one equipment factor.  However, IMHO the biggest factor is the actual sound venue/PA sound. If it sounds shitty in the room, it'll probably sound shitty on the recording.

...totally agree with the above statement. Can't trun crap into gold, no matter what you are running...Sometimes I will hear two totally different sources from the same stand and will marval at how similar they can sound.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com