Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M1  (Read 6428 times)

Offline roskile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Sony PCM-M1
« on: September 16, 2004, 01:10:12 AM »
Hello everyone,

I was able to find a Sony PCM-M1 with under 25 recording hours at a great price..it should come in within the next couple of days. ;D I wanted to ask others who own a Sony PCM-M1 about transfering your dat recordings to pc. How can this be done digitally, what cable(s) would be needed?

I wrote to Oade inquiring earlier about this and here is their response:
We have cables that we rebuild using that one that will do the Trick.  The Oade Digital I/O Active Cable is $165. 

http://www.oade.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OADE&Product_Code=OADDIGIOA-%28F%29&Category_Code=S7P

Has anyone used this cable before? And how does it hook up to the pc? Very newbie here ;)

Are there any other cables the PCM-M1 owners use and may be able to recommend?

Regards,
roskile

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony PCM-M1
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 01:18:00 AM »
buy the active cable in this thread, it's basically a used "Oade" for $110 less...

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=25112.0

okay that gets you digi in and out of the M1...

now you need to go coax/spdif IN to your computer, there are many soundcards that will allow for this...

Audiophile 24/96 seems to be a popular one for desktops...

I use the VX Pocket V2 with my laptop.

there are many other, check the FAQ and do a search, maybe post in the computer section or the ask the taper section?

then you'll need software to record to, software to track with, software to burn with, and software to flac with :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline roskile

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 02:44:24 AM »
buy the active cable in this thread, it's basically a used "Oade" for $110 less...

now you need to go coax/spdif IN to your computer, there are many soundcards that will allow for this...

I use the VX Pocket V2 with my laptop.

there are many other, check the FAQ and do a search, maybe post in the computer section or the ask the taper section?

then you'll need software to record to, software to track with, software to burn with, and software to flac with :P

Hope you don't mind me asking a few more questions. Going coax/spdif IN to the pc means digital transfer, is this correct? Just want to make sure I'm following this right and learning. :)

Regarding the Audiophile 2496 soundcard, what does the 24/96 signify? I know it has something to do with bit recording, but still not sure what that means in regards to the transfer from the dat recorder. i think i read somewhere that dat recorders can only record in 16bit, so would this affect the transfer in any way since the audiophile is 24/96?

One last thing regarding software...I do have software to record to and burn with, but what is software to track with? Is that to split the wave into individual tracks? And I have heard of .shn recordings, I have one around here and understand this as a lossless compression of .wav files as opposed to .mp3. Is flac in the same boat as .shn?

Thanks again.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 03:40:11 AM »
i don't have an audiophile2496 cuz i record with a njb3, but basically its just a soundcard with a digi in connection.  the card is also bit perfect wich is VERY important.  dat's record at 16/44.1 (cd quality - in fact, if you want to burn your audio to a cd, you have to resample a 16/48 recording to this anyway) or 16/48.  the audiophile 2496 won't hurt the recording/transfer at all just because its 16 bit.

for recording software, popular choices are sound forge, cool edit pro (now adobe audition), and steinberg's wave lab.  Basically when you transfer, you'll have to play the dat into your pc and record it in real time.  If the recording is 16/48 you'll have to downsample to 16/44.1 if you plan on making an audio cd of your recording, you should do that in this program too.

Then its on to splitting or tracking your recording.  Jump over to www.etree.org and read about sector boundaries and whatnot.  cd wave editor is the popular tracking software of choice...i'm sure that this is freeware.  Track your recording on the sector boundaries, also make sure to end the recording on a sector boundary too.

Once you're done with that, if you plan on sharing it on the web, or just want a back up of it, you should shn/flac it.  shn and flac are pretty much the same thing, but flac is more popular these days because of its better compression and the benefit that it can also do 24bit encoding.  you can pick up the flac frontend here.  I'm pretty sure that cd wave editor now has the option to encode directly to flac when you save your tracked recording.  flacs will play in winamp too, the plugin comes bundled with the frontend.

and bam, your recording is now on your computer.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 03:42:21 AM by SpeshulEd »

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline roskile

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 06:31:09 PM »
SpeshulEd, thank you so much for the response and links as they provided just the information I was looking for.

Thank you. :)

Offline roskile

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 09:59:35 PM »

Hi again Tim, quick question. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the active cable that Todd was selling. I took the advice and purchased a Audiophile 2496. I just got this the other day(have yet to install) and just received the cable from Todd today. I'm wondering if I might have missed something though. I am looking at the active cable and the S/PDIF in/out to the Audiophile and still see no way of conncecting them to eachother. They both have female ends. Hate to be a thorn in your side ;), but would you mind helping me out again?

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 10:19:13 PM »
all you need now is a s/pdif coax cable.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline roskile

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 10:43:52 PM »
Would this one suffice, or do you recommend a certain brand?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14965&item=5722298885&rd=1

spreadheadtom

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 10:45:33 PM »
Would this one suffice, or do you recommend a certain brand?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14965&item=5722298885&rd=1

would work fine if you need all 6 ft. 

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 01:52:56 AM »
wow, orange is an awesome color.  sorry, that has nothing to do with anything...i just like orange.

yep, that'd definitely work tho, you could probably buy one that'd be a lot more expensive and i'm sure it'd probably be better somehow, but i'd say that this one is a safe bet for what you're doing.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline roskile

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2004, 02:18:27 AM »
k, thanks guys.  :)

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2004, 03:54:05 PM »
sorry, I just came back to this thread...

yep, just head to radioshack and get yourself a coax cable with rca ends on it!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 02:12:21 PM »
another newbie question here (and this may be a real dumb one):
       I am aware that a coax. cable is a digital cable similar to an optical cable in the fact that it is used to transfer digital audio.  Now, from what I gathered from the archive i've concluded that a S/PDIF connection is basically a digital connection using coax. cable.  Am I on the right track?  Do all S/PDIF connections have one RCA connector at one end?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 03:46:52 PM »
optical and coaxial cabl;es are both S/PDIF technically, so the coaxial ones usually do have 2 rca's, one on each end :)

and you can get quality digital true 75ohm from canare for pretty cheaply :)

heres a pic of the audio magic one w/ locking rca connections :)

ask some one off of the board to build you one if youneed it, leegeedy makes very nice ones that i can see :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com