Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR1  (Read 41470 times)

Offline mattw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Tascam DR1
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2008, 03:48:12 PM »
Guy,

I for one appreciate you doing all the tests on these recorders...You're the ONLY one answering the questions with regards to quality/noise levels/ect. that I keep coming up with.

I've been looking for a suitable replacement for my Sony M1 and so far have found that most if not all of the current crop is inferior in some way or the other. The R-09 is the closest to the ideal that I've found without breaking the bank.

So, I guess my question to you is can you recommend a current digital recorder that has similar specs. to a M1 with regards to noise, mic. preamps and reliability. 2496 recording would be a plus as would AA batteries (or something easily replaced in the field) CF media would be nice but SD is ok too. And finally I don't care if it has some silly looking mic. slapped onto the top of it or not.

Matt

Offline exileded

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2008, 06:49:39 PM »
I should be recieving my DR1 in the next couple of days. Provided there were no delays in the shipping I will be aiming to tape Buffalo Tom on the 11th and Wilco on the 18th if they turn out ok I will post samples up here for sure.

Unfortunatly Im not a big fan of my current mic set up and it will be several more weeks till the CA amp and cards im ordering show up... Still it gives me the chance to test the internal mics and my current external set up and i'll post comparasions if they are up to it.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2008, 08:33:43 PM »
I should be recieving my DR1 in the next couple of days. Provided there were no delays in the shipping I will be aiming to tape Buffalo Tom on the 11th and Wilco on the 18th if they turn out ok I will post samples up here for sure.

Unfortunatly Im not a big fan of my current mic set up and it will be several more weeks till the CA amp and cards im ordering show up... Still it gives me the chance to test the internal mics and my current external set up and i'll post comparasions if they are up to it.

Let me know what you think of the recorder I might be interested in getting one too :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2008, 07:06:49 PM »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 11:46:05 PM »
The  thread I keep linking to now says that there's a firmware upgrade (1.02) available for the DR1 from the Tascam German site.  "There is another rec level available (Lo/Med/Hi). The old Lo became Med and the new Lo is below the old one."  "what a difference, almost noise free . Big, Fat Warm guitar... It actually sounds almost as good as my AT822 I cant believe it. "

Offline exileded

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 12:49:12 AM »
Still waiting for mine :( Sad that I dont get to try it out on Buffalo Tom tonight, but getting more and more excited with all the good things im reading about it :D

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2008, 11:55:24 AM »
Over on the Naturerecordists group, this message was posted

"I received a sample Tascam DR-1 on Friday. I can't recommend it.
The 3.5mm mic input and headphone output have poor electrical
connections. If the mic cable or input jack is touched, static-like
noise is added to the recording. The headphone jack had a similar
noise problem when wiggled a bit. This is not a good sign after only
30 minutes' use!"

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/32018

Any DR-1 users here experience anything similar?

Flintstone

Offline exileded

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2008, 02:36:49 AM »
Over on the Naturerecordists group, this message was posted

"I received a sample Tascam DR-1 on Friday. I can't recommend it.
The 3.5mm mic input and headphone output have poor electrical
connections. If the mic cable or input jack is touched, static-like
noise is added to the recording. The headphone jack had a similar
noise problem when wiggled a bit. This is not a good sign after only
30 minutes' use!"

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/32018

Any DR-1 users here experience anything similar?

Flintstone

Although im yet to use mine at a show (arrived the morning after... Typical :-[), I have been playing round recording traffic, my radio, things like that. I have been using Giant Squid cards with battery box and am so far delighted with the results. I have just tested mine to see if knocking or touching the jacks affects the recording and in my case I would say not at all, didnt hear any static noise.
I also installed the first firmware update which I got from the UK Tascam site. Piece of cake to do and it's great to see they are looking after tapers. From the update page...

"One more position for the input gain setting is newly
 added. When the loud sound such as live performance is
 recorded, New Low Gain position may avoid the
 unexpected clips.

Current version
LOW: +16dB
HIGH: +32dB

V1.02
LOW: 0dB
MID: +16dB
HIGH: +32dB"

PeterE

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2008, 03:44:58 AM »
Reporting my DR-1 experience to date:

So far I've used my DR-1 to record two performances: first time for an unamplified classical piano and violin performance, second time was for an acoustic&amplified jazz quartet. Mics were DPA4061, powered by Coresound batt box. Both shows were with the original (v101) firmware. I did first set/second set comparisons of the DR-1 vs my 11 yr old Oade-mod Sony D8 for both the classical and jazz performances. For the classical performance, the DR-1 was set to record at 16 bit for direct comparison against the D8. For the jazz performance, the DR-1 was set to record at 24 bit while the D8 recorded at 16 bit.  Both DR-1 and D8 used mic-in jacks at low gain. 

During the jazz performance, I also ran my open-taping rig(Schoeps CCM4>Oade ACM HD_P2) for comparison with the DR-1 and Oade-mod D8.

As soon as I can figure out how to share files with TS members I'll do that, and ask for your feedback. Meanwhile, my opinion is that the DR-1's preamp is not as detailed as either the Oade-mod D8 nor the Oade ACM HDP2(not surprisingly). However, it is quite musical and resulted in a very enjoyable recording, particularly on the jazz quartet (especially the sax).  Sound was neutral, not colored.   And at 24 bit the DR-1 did beat out the 16 bit D8 in the "sense of room space". If I hadn't heard the others right next to it, I'd have been very satisfied with the combo of 4061-> DR-1. I would love to hear it against other small options like the PCM-D50, PMD-620, R-09, etc.

Ergonomics: I dislike the gain wheel--its a recessed: good to prevent accidental movement but I found it hard to make small tweaks in gain with one hand holding the deck firmly on the table and the other index finger trying to increase or decrease the gain slightly. It would be even more awkward if you were operating lo-pro. Also, there is no dedicated "light" switch and during the performance I couldn't figure out how to turn on the light without messing with the recording. Got to research that....

I had no noise from the mic jack as reported previously by another TS member.

More later, and hopefully links to files to listen to.

Pete

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2008, 05:44:35 AM »
The noise experience only occurs when you are using the built in mics, any contact with the unit is quite audiable. I've recorded two shows with favorable results.  Looking forward to trying it with the new 0db patch i installed yesterday.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2008, 11:47:35 AM »
At least one DR-1 had mic input and headphone output that were not making a solid connection.  See reply #35, above.

Offline exileded

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2008, 10:12:19 AM »
Ok just got back from Wilco, my first taping test in a live music situation with the DR1.
All I can say is WOW!!! ;D

I was about 12 metres back DFC with an open walkway in front of me so not to much chatter.
I used the DR1 with Giant Squid cards and battery box running in to mic 1 port. I had the level set to low and the input volume set a 10 (max). I just clipped the mics to my glasses, pressed record and put the DR1 in my pocket.
Over the course of 2 hours I used 1 bar of battery life (about a third) and recorded 1.45 gb of great music, no issues, no hiccups just press record and go :D

It's 1am over here and I get up for work in a little over 4 hours so im sorry no samples tonight...
You will get them by this time tomorrow though!

Listening to the show now, I love this recorder! ;D ;D ;D

Ok couldn't get to sleep, here's Via Chicago for you to check out. Converted to mp3 in Audiocity but otherwise untouched.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QISJXTS3
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 10:57:23 AM by exileded »

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2008, 09:43:19 PM »
Hello:

Another Taperssection member only deal - buy the Tascam DR-1 recorder for the regular discounted price of $298.00 and get a set of SP-CMC-2 Audio Technica stereo cardioid microphones FREE! These mics sell for $159.00 normally - here's the catch: It's for the first 25 members only. You must use this coupon on the checkout page (no quotes):

"taperssectioncmc2"

The coupon will deduct $159 off the order total. No other discount can be used with the offer. You can order any options you want, and the mics in any configuration you want, and the coupon will deduct $159.00

PS....I put this here because it's where folks interested in the these items are looking. If it's objectionable, please remove it.

Best Regards,

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals, Inc.
3444 Sylon Blvd
Hainesport NJ, 08036
800-213-3021
609-267-4400
609-267-0054 fax

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2008, 11:41:04 PM »
Hello:

Another Taperssection member only deal - buy the Tascam DR-1 recorder for the regular discounted price of $298.00 and get a set of SP-CMC-2 Audio Technica stereo cardioid microphones FREE! These mics sell for $159.00 normally - here's the catch: It's for the first 25 members only. You must use this coupon on the checkout page (no quotes):

"taperssectioncmc2"

The coupon will deduct $159 off the order total. No other discount can be used with the offer. You can order any options you want, and the mics in any configuration you want, and the coupon will deduct $159.00

PS....I put this here because it's where folks interested in the these items are looking. If it's objectionable, please remove it.

Best Regards,

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals, Inc.
3444 Sylon Blvd
Hainesport NJ, 08036
800-213-3021
609-267-4400
609-267-0054 fax

Nice deal!

Hey Chris, do you have any opinions on the preamps on this?  One guy (minidisc forums) seems to think it has a bit more self noise than the Minidisc and the PCM-D50.  Maybe it is comparable to the Edirol R09?  If you had a choice, would you take the Edirol or the Tascam?

I've got an Edirol R09 for regular (loud) concerts, but for (quiet) ambient recording I still use Minidisc.  I run everything off plug-in-power, so I prefer to use just the unit, no preamps or whatever.

Thanks...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2008, 12:07:27 AM »
Hello:

I would say it's about the same as the Edirol.......overall, I like it better than the R-09, though.

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com