Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR1  (Read 41046 times)

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR1
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2008, 11:48:14 PM »
Soundprofessionals has this 2 days only for 199.00

Hello:

Quick note, the first shipment of R-09HR recorders are arriving Friday 5-30-08. For TapersSection members, get 10% off if ordered before Friday with coupon code "taperssection"   (no quotes). Also, the Tascam DR-1 is $199.00 all day today and tomorrow (5-28-08) with TapersSection only coupon "tsdr1".

Thanks!

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals, Inc.
800-213-3021
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:45:24 AM by Kindguy »
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2008, 03:17:23 PM »
Is there no seamless file split with this deck? That seems like a big issue. The manual says that the unit stops when the maximum chosen file length is reached. The largest (and factory) setting is 2GB. Am I missing something here?  ???
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2008, 06:09:31 PM »
yup, 2 gigs.  I hope this can be changed with a firmware update.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2008, 09:47:53 PM »
I have one.  Its sounds pretty good.  For sure, noise level is equivalent to my R09, based on home tests.  Wish the battery dealio was rechargeable AA's.... but still ......... it doesn't suck.  Great for a backup analog recorder.  For 2 bills, you can't go wrong.  Best bang for the buck in '08.    :coolguy:

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2008, 09:52:51 PM »
I have one.  Its sounds pretty good.  For sure, noise level is equivalent to my R09, based on home tests.  Wish the battery dealio was rechargeable AA's.... but still ......... it doesn't suck.  Great for a backup analog recorder.  For 2 bills, you can't go wrong.  Best bang for the buck in '08.    :coolguy:

I am getting one as well I will do some tests when I get it and publish them here.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2008, 02:50:35 AM »
Impressive.  Recorded all weekend with the DR-1 at Mountain Jam.  Really like the sound.  Even more so than my R09.  Warm, butter-smooth sound.  Recessed highs, but not muddy.  I'm close to moving in the DR-1 as my #1 recorder, relegating the R09 as a backup. 

The lithium battery is only good for about 4-5 hours.  However, swapping external power is easy via a USB battery pack.  The trick is to do it while you're recording, or the DR-1 will recognize the pack as a USB computer connection.  Ran all day Sunday, recording 10 hours of music, non-stop.

Dig the big screen.  Meters are very active and easy to read.  However, I want to see actual db numbers on the meters in the next firmware upgrade.

Maxed-out a card by accident late Friday night.  DR-1, however, still saved the file.   

PQI 16gb card worked flawlessly with the DR-1 too.  No burps or hiccups.  Its nice to be able to fit a whole days worth of music, without swapping cards out.  Convenient.

I'll have samples up this week.  Primarily whole sets from Mountain Jam on LMA.     
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:07:00 AM by spyder9 »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2008, 11:54:38 PM »
Tascam in action at Mountain Jam

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2008, 12:18:18 AM »

I measured the noise floor on the line input it was -106 A weighted at 48k 24bit with the output at 50% very impressive. The max input level this can handle * line input * is -8 db. I will post some more tests in the next few days when I get around to it. I think this is actually better then the R09 for line input. Now the huge problem I have is no adjustment to the line input what so ever. That needs to get fixed in the firmware.

Chris
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:20:34 AM by Church-Audio »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2008, 12:23:47 AM »
If the DR-1 is set at Unity for Line-In, then there is no need for any firmware adjustment.  Tascam knows most people that use Line-In, will be using some sort of mic preamp.  If you don't have a preamp, they give you 2 Mic-In's with adjustable gain. 

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2008, 12:26:54 AM »
If the DR-1 is set at Unity for Line-In, then there is no need for any firmware adjustment.  Tascam knows most people that use Line-In, will be using some sort of mic preamp.  If you don't have a preamp, they give you 2 Mic-In's with adjustable gain. 

Yeah I hear you. I will be running some tests in the near future, But my initial look tells me that this is a quality piece of gear. I would also say they are using Primo em135 cardioid capsules 10mm for the mic elements. This is the same capsule used by the ZOOM h2 the mic housing is much better designed with the DR-1 I would say for the money this is a very hard to beat product. It absolutely blows Zoom out of the water. I would still like to see a +20 -20 db gain range on the line input even with a preamp its nice to have extra gain if needed. Unity gain is fine when you have a preamp that has an output level control. I think its a small price to pay for a well built recorder.

Chris
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:29:36 AM by Church-Audio »

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2008, 12:36:26 AM »

I measured the noise floor on the line input it was -106 A weighted at 48k 24bit with the output at 50% very impressive. The max input level this can handle * line input * is -8 db. I will post some more tests in the next few days when I get around to it. I think this is actually better then the R09 for line input. Now the huge problem I have is no adjustment to the line input what so ever. That needs to get fixed in the firmware.

Chris

Hey, thanks for the tests.  If you get a chance, can you measure the input levels and noise on the mic inputs?

I love the Edirol R09, but I'm looking for something with less self noise (anything, even 6dB more) for my experiments with various Omni "hat mics".

Thanks,
  Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2008, 10:17:20 AM »

Chris

Hey, thanks for the tests.  If you get a chance, can you measure the input levels and noise on the mic inputs?

I love the Edirol R09, but I'm looking for something with less self noise (anything, even 6dB more) for my experiments with various Omni "hat mics".

Thanks,
  Richard

I will do that. You know the only thing that makes me wonder about this recorder at all is that dam built in battery.. I really want to know how long its going to last when recording. I am going to do some more tests this weekend.

Chris

Offline dave570

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2008, 10:42:48 AM »
Soundprofs is selling this recorder with a line-in control cable.  Would that workaround the Tascam limitation of not being able to control line in?

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2008, 12:45:54 PM »
The battery is NOT built-in, but removable.  Its looks exactly like a a typical lithium camera battery.  I estimated battery life to be about 4-5 hours.  I'll do a test tonight to get the exact time.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2008, 02:12:17 PM »
I see Sound Professionals is selling spare rechargeable batteries for the DR-1, cost $48. 
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/TAS-BP-L2

That's pricey for a 3.7V 1800 mAh battery!  But it makes it easy to carry a spare battery for the DR-1, all charged up and ready to go.

Flintstone

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com