Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Battery Box vs. Preamp  (Read 2529 times)

Offline willyjbrown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Battery Box vs. Preamp
« on: February 15, 2007, 04:06:38 PM »
Right now I've got AT831's > SP battery box > iRiver H120, but I'm going to be upgrading to DPA4061's pretty soon. My only question is how much quality would I REALLY be losing if I rigged the DPA's with a battery box as opposed to the MMA6000? Only reason I'm thinking about doing that is so I could save a little money honestly. Thanks in advance for your advice. For the record, I love this place  :D

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Battery Box vs. Preamp
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 04:14:10 PM »
Right now I've got AT831's > SP battery box > iRiver H120, but I'm going to be upgrading to DPA4061's pretty soon. My only question is how much quality would I REALLY be losing if I rigged the DPA's with a battery box as opposed to the MMA6000? Only reason I'm thinking about doing that is so I could save a little money honestly. Thanks in advance for your advice. For the record, I love this place  :D

It depends on what you want to record the MMA6000 gives you gain so you don't have to use the Iriver as much to get gain you will end up with quieter recordings. Now if all you record is very loud shows you could probably get away with a battery box.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline willyjbrown

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 04:31:34 PM »
All I record are loud concerts at arenas, amphitheaters, and theaters, and local/smaller bands at bars and clubs. I guess that's as soft as it gets for me.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 04:38:19 PM »
All I record are loud concerts at arenas, amphitheaters, and theaters, and local/smaller bands at bars and clubs. I guess that's as soft as it gets for me.

Well I would get your mics terminated to 3.5 mm jack then you can use an off the shelf battery box and you could in the future get a preamp.. But with the microdots the connectors are so expensive that no body outside of DPA makes a preamp I made one preamp for a guy in Europe with microdots. But I had a real pain getting the connectors..

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 05:41:35 PM »
If you're recording with iRiver/NJB3 you need a preamp to get good sound quality.  The levels are just not good enough.

If you've got Minidisc or Edirol R01/R09 there is a half decent preamp there, but only for fairly loud music.  For acoustic stuff you should add a pre.

Best solution is probably to put a miniplug on the DPAs and get Church's preamp.  It has a battery box built in.  One piece of gear, and it will give you the gain you need.

I would be scared to cut off the minidots though.  Not because I want them, just because they are so crazy expensive!

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com