Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FMR audio Really Nice Pre ?  (Read 2286 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
FMR audio Really Nice Pre ?
« on: February 28, 2007, 12:17:15 PM »
Has anyone used the FMR Really Nice Preamp?
The specs say it will run on 9/12v so I assume the DVD battery that everyone uses for UA5 would work as well. No ADC but these things have been getting great reviews in the "project studio" area....but at $450 new it would really have to rock.......also how could the TRS insert be used to decode MS as is stated on the FMR website? Any thoughts?
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Thom Joad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Team TNT!
Re: FMR audio Really Nice Pre ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 09:58:28 AM »
Chiming in here. 

I ran a FMR RNP for about 6 months.  Really, really, clean sound.  From what I've heard of the T-mod UA5, I'd say the RNP is on par with that (maybe even a little more transparent).  Great build quality.  Excellent customer service.  I powered mine with a 12V SLA (this was before the wallyworld battery was commonly used). 

I was running it with Earthworks and the combo was a bit on the bright side.  I've never heard it, but I'd have to guess that Nuemann or Schoeps> FMR RNP would sound very good.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 12:21:08 PM »
IIRC opinions here were mainly positive but the main concern w/ it was its high current draw, 1.5 amps/hour, so a 6ah DVD battery will, at best, last 4 hours.  3 or 3.5 hours would probably be more realistic since you really don't want to use all the juice in the battery.

The specs say it will run on 9/12v so I assume the DVD battery that everyone uses for UA5 would work as well. No ADC but these things have been getting great reviews in the "project studio" area....but at $450 new it would really have to rock.......also how could the TRS insert be used to decode MS as is stated on the FMR website? Any thoughts?

(from the website)
In addition, with the right external configuration, the RNP can provide a separate +22dBu unbalanced output and a +28dBu balanced output simultaneously to allow nifty things like separate M/S decoding while tracking the M/S signal without decoding.

I think this means that it just has an extra set of outs to use for monitoring or whatever.  It doesn't look to have decoding capabilities.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 02:47:11 PM by drewloo esquandolas »

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 06:29:46 PM »
Jason Bush ran one of these for around a year. Loved the sound, But I remember him bitching about powering it.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline blastroknow

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • you can fight about love all you want
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 06:45:04 PM »

also how could the TRS insert be used to decode MS as is stated on the FMR website? Any thoughts?

I think they mean with an external mix with phase switching you could have the 2nd outputs mix with the mains and give you a MS monitor mix.

I own their Really Nice Compressor and I think it a well made piece of gear that sounds great.
Core-sound HEB 4060s > iRiver h120
or
AT853 > AT8531 > ToddR mod SBM-1 > iRiver h120

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com