Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Got my new Laptop - is dual boot really needed?  (Read 14310 times)

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
Re:Got my new Laptop - is dual boot really needed?
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2003, 01:22:54 PM »
24bitfaq.org

Only says not to use NTFS because if your system dies it is harder (according to these FAQ) to retrieve data from NTFS partions. Also NTFS partions are not subjet to the 2 GB limit that you have with FAT32. But having said that there are more writes to the HDD using NTFS so there are power issues. You have to remeber when Dan Heend wrote this page it was in like 1999. A lot has changed in the world of technology since then. I have several different win2k machines so extracting data of a failed machine is not an issue and I like not having to worry as much about file sizes as I would with fat32.

I run Sony PCG-GRS700k (p4/1.8/1024) using NTFS and have not had issue with it yet. Have run it in really shitty conditions and has come through with flying colors. I did use the above link to turn off stupid services and have found that It did improve performance primarily on the Mastering side of things.

Everything is a give and take just have to figure out what suits you best. Have to say that the 24Bit/48khz has been a blast. It is nice to be able to run levels conservatively and not have to worry about clipping so much

OK i have NTFS on my drive - i recorded with it last night for the first time. Still waiting on the win2k disk , so i installed wavlab and the most current VX Pocket drivers. Set everything up. Taped the opener and it was fine. Taped the main set (started the laptop about 15 mins before they went on so i could go outside to smoke)...
Main set was like 2hrs, but w/ the extra time on the beginning it had to do an 'auto split' at 2hrs. i guess that's what it was set at.

since i have ntfs I can up that to longer than 2hrs?

For some reason, the auto split didnt work and I didnt get all of the encore.
Battery was not an issue, it had something to do with wavlab. When i hit stop it had an error, wavlab basically crashed and had one of those messages saying 'send or dont send error report' bla bla bla.

This is a brand new PC. What happend has convinced me even more that the dual boot is necessary, or at least to go with win2k

I have wavlab4. does anyone know will I be able to install this on win2k as well?

thanks all for your help, it's really great. keep it coming. the more info the better

oh and crunchy, +T

peace.
ian stone
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2003, 01:41:24 PM »
did you get the set ian or was it deleted when wavelab crashed?

Offline ianstone

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2003, 01:51:36 PM »

well it's really strange really.
The opener set is fine.  The main set (before it auto split), the first 2hr portion is fine. there's another file (after the auto split)... and it has file size of like 200MB or so... so there's data there. When trying to open with wavlab or soundforge, there's no waveform.
press play, no music.

hmmmm
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2003, 02:58:08 PM »

The opener set is fine.  The main set (before it auto split), the first 2hr portion is fine. there's another file (after the auto split)... and it has file size of like 200MB or so... so there's data there. When trying to open with wavlab or soundforge, there's no waveform.
press play, no music.

hmmmm
ian i've had this problem several times, and actually lately every time i tape with wavelab after the autosplit it fucks up and shits the bed.  not very happy bout that, but at least it saves the data.
what you can do is open the file in soundforge as raw data (select files of type raw) and it will open all the wav data.  then you can resave it as the wav file.  you may get a few samples at the beginning that are null or have some spikes, but you can easily just cut those off and splice back together with the pre-split wav file and you won't hear any sonic imperfections.

anyone know why wavelab does this???  should i (we) increase/decrease buffers?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline ianstone

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2003, 03:08:34 PM »

press play, no music.

hmmmm
ian i've had this problem several times, and actually lately every time i tape with wavelab after the autosplit it fucks up and shits the bed.  not very happy bout that, but at least it saves the data.
what you can do is open the file in soundforge as raw data (select files of type raw) and it will open all the wav data.  then you can resave it as the wav file.  you may get a few samples at the beginning that are null or have some spikes, but you can easily just cut those off and splice back together with the pre-split wav file and you won't hear any sonic imperfections.

anyone know why wavelab does this???  should i (we) increase/decrease buffers?

++++++++++++T  i gotta check this when i get home

hey, if i am using NTFS drive partition, can I record longer than 2hrs? is that not a HD limitation but rather a limitation of wavlab?

are you also running wavlab 4? maybe it needs an updated version or something? i mean if it's still saving the data, cool, but i still hate having error messages and shit going on like that.

are you having that same problem in XP or are you in Win2k?

so you're pretty sure that I have the data, just gotta do it as raw. that'll be sweet

ian
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2003, 03:09:52 PM »
while the ntfs file system allows for files over 2 gigs, wavelab still does not, so you have to split.  i'd probably split based on file size rather than time, but if it works, then go with it.

Offline ianstone

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2003, 03:12:00 PM »
while the ntfs file system allows for files over 2 gigs, wavelab still does not, so you have to split.  i'd probably split based on file size rather than time, but if it works, then go with it.

hmm i'll have to check that setting. maybe since i have it set for 2hrs is the reason that i'm having that problem with the splits?
good theory. i'll run with it and do a test tonight at home.

simpy, are you using the auto split setting set at 2hr or at 1999MB as was previously suggested?

ian
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2003, 03:13:42 PM »
you'd get a message saying that it can't handle files over 2 gigabytes so if you did not then it's probably not the problem.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2003, 03:18:37 PM »
sorry for the slightly off-topic, but Soundforge does NOT have the 2GB file limit.  if you set a timed record you can only record for 2 hours, but if you just hit record and walk off, it will record until you hit stop or until it runs out of hard-drive space.

I'm still not sure why 24bitfaq says not to use NTFS for the filesystem....NTFS is MUCH LESS prone to file corruption and fragmentation!

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2003, 03:20:36 PM »
++++++++++++T  i gotta check this when i get home

hey, if i am using NTFS drive partition, can I record longer than 2hrs? is that not a HD limitation but rather a limitation of wavlab?

are you also running wavlab 4? maybe it needs an updated version or something? i mean if it's still saving the data, cool, but i still hate having error messages and shit going on like that.

are you having that same problem in XP or are you in Win2k?

so you're pretty sure that I have the data, just gotta do it as raw. that'll be sweet

ian

to answer your questions...i am using wavelab 4.0g (provided by a member of this site, can't remember who right now).  i have my auto-split set for about 1300MB, as that about equals 74 min.  it's really arbitrary, but smaller files are easier to work with.  i don't think you can get past the 2gb limit in windows without using roundabout methods in software, ie. the auto-split in wavelab, or recording each channel as a separate file like some other programs do.
i may go back to 4.0c, i don't remember having any problems with that version, when i upgraded to 4.0g it seemed to start having that prob, although i was told it was a better version.  ???
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2003, 03:26:09 PM »
"i don't think you can get past the 2gb limit in windows"

it is not a Windows limitation. it is a limitation of the FAT(16/32) filesystem and possibly individual programs such as Wavelab

the water's clean and innocent

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2003, 02:14:56 AM »

press play, no music.

hmmmm

You'll be able to recover this file.  Download this - it's a  command line program
http://www.shoptheozarks.com/GGM/audiohck.zip

Unzip it and put it into the root of a drive along with your corrupted file (I say put it in a root because it makes it easier to find).

Open a command prompt (start, run, 'cmd') and go to the location with the files.
Type "audiohack" and follow the prompts - enter the original file name and 2 output names.  You might find it easiest to just rename your original file something simple to ease the command line pain.

This awesome utility is fast and it will correct your wave headers and split the file so it doesn't violate the 2 gig limit.  If it's less than 2 gigs, you can just delete the second file.  Let us know how you do!

david

oh yeah, one quirk of the program is it doesn't keep the dos screen rolling and if you use it more than once it looks confusing.  Just type 'cls' to clear the screen (remember that from the old DOS days?)
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2003, 02:18:57 AM »
Responding to myself again...
One other cool thing I found with these corrupt files is that they all seem to play in Winamp - useful for checking what you've got.  I guess Winamp isn't fussy about chunk counts - it just grabs the bit rate / sampling frequency from the header and happily plays (those get written first thing so they always live thru the crashes).

david
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline ianstone

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2003, 01:37:46 PM »
i was able to recover the data using simpy's method of opening the file as "Raw file" in soundforge. I then saved the file, did my dither/resampling, and pasted it in the proper location, completing the end of the show.

Thanks for the help!  ;D  +T again simpy!
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2003, 02:16:17 PM »
hella!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.187 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com